Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2015 7:29:46 PM EDT
anyone try the brownell mags sold by SG?  They have the black followers that "tilt" but I think that whole anti-tilt is all horse shit.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:37:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think anti-tilt is horse-shit myself. It's easy to see how a non-anti tilt mag could malfunction. If it's just a range mag I guess it doesn't matter. There are so many mags out there that have anti-tilt followers I don't see any reason to buy ones that aren't....unless you plan on swapping in Magpul followers or something similar.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:41:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
anyone try the brownell mags sold by SG?  They have the black followers that "tilt" but I think that whole anti-tilt is all horse shit.
View Quote

Anti tilt is horse shit?

Go talk to magpul, lancer, ETS, hexmag, and every other magazine that has an anti tilt follower (like ak mags)
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:01:52 PM EDT
[#3]
OP clearly has never really used old-style non-anti-tilt magazines enough to run into problems.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:29:39 PM EDT
[#4]
The real issue here is SG.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:38:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Anti tilt is horse shit?

Go talk to magpul, lancer, ETS, hexmag, and every other magazine that has an anti tilt follower (like ak mags)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anti tilt is horse shit?

Ang g.i. mags have been anti-tilt for a few years too.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:34:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Can anyone show how mags that tilt fail?  Other than people who are not able to load them, once you put a round in, it levels it's self out.  When will this follower tilt and fail to feed?  I don't get it.  

Maybe full auto fire can jam a mag?  But aren't all service carbines 3rd burst only?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:47:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Can anyone show how mags that tilt fail?  Other than people who are not able to load them, once you put a round in, it levels it's self out.  When will this follower tilt and fail to feed?  I don't get it.  

Maybe full auto fire can jam a mag?  But aren't all service carbines 3rd burst only?
View Quote

aluminum mags are not constant curve, sometimes, when the magazine transitions from a curve to straight, the follower will get stuck. Several times i've seen 30rd mags with black and green followers jam due to tilt, even on semi rifles. Sure its fine for range use, but i want my mags to be as reliable as possible
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:11:12 AM EDT
[#8]
got it, I have only been using brownells with black follower in the 20rd configuration.  I will try some 30's and see what happens.  Found this good review on mag followers.

http://www.breachbangclear.com/perpetuating-bullshit-magazine-malfunctions-self-leveling-followers-and-pigeon-religion/

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:45:04 AM EDT
[#9]
If you buy them replace the followers. Black followers are a no-go.
Get tan followers, or better yet magpul followers.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:53:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Anybody know the history of the anti-tilt follower?

The Army found that some (not all) of ONE brand of magazine (Sanchez Enterprises) was unreliable in FULL AUTO fire. The magazines were in-spec, but could never figure out what the cause was. The magazines were used as a test-bed for the green anti-tilt followers, and the problem went away.

Since most people will never use Sanchez Enterprises magazines (they no longer manufacture magazines) and never use them in a full auto/burst rifle, anti-tilt followers are not a requirement in my opinion.

I, personally, would not have an issue using a magazine without anti-tilt followers, as long as the magazine was manufactured by a reputable magazine manufacturer, and otherwise proved reliable. That being said, anti-tilt followers are cheap and easy to swap out, and may provide an important  psychological comfort.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:16:09 AM EDT
[#11]
I have one Sanchez.

It's one of my favorite mags.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:16:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
got it, I have only been using brownells with black follower in the 20rd configuration. I will try some 30's and see what happens.  Found this good review on mag followers.

http://www.breachbangclear.com/perpetuating-bullshit-magazine-malfunctions-self-leveling-followers-and-pigeon-religion/

View Quote

Standard 20 round followers do NOT need to be changed!

That's why you aren't having any issues, it's an entirely different issue on thirty round magazines. To my knowledge no one even offers a replacement follower for the 20 round mags.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:46:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I've been shooting ARs and M16s since the 1980s and can tell you for a fact that the anti-tilt follower improvement is a large part of what has made a marginal weapon system the reliable and widely accepted one that it is today... I started out with the original G.I. 20 rounders and 30 rd. with the black plastic follower. Those original 30 rounders are what I was issued in the Marine Corps. That generation of magazine was not reliable. When they sent me off to war, I was so confident in them and my rifle that I left it in the truck and carried an M60E3 instead. Today, with G.I. Mags upgraded with Magpul followers and Magpul gen 3 magazines, I am confident in my weapon again...

20 round G.I. Magazines are a different story all together... The only issue I ever had with them was with weak springs failing to get the follower up in time to engage the hold-open. Never any feed issues.

1DD
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 6:55:25 PM EDT
[#14]
People just repeat what they've heard.  Not an issue for semi, unusual in auto.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:35:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Do you have a link to the mags in question ?  All I could find , by Brownells , were ones that say

"Latest military-spec, glass-fiber reinforced composite follower"
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:37:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have you used a black follower in a 30 rd G.I. mag? They fuckin suck.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 7:34:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Used them for years before the newer styles started showing up. I never had any magazine problem from them.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 7:35:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is an extremely ignorant statement
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 10:46:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Used them for years before the newer styles started showing up. I never had any magazine problem from them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here, BUT, thats like saying "I drove a Yugo for 2 years with no issues."

Doesn't mean there isn't MUCH better options available!
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 1:44:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Same here, BUT, that like saying "I drove a Yugo for 2 years with no issues."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here, BUT, that like saying "I drove a Yugo for 2 years with no issues."

+1 I guess overall this is the best way to word it. The design of the black follower compared to today's offerings is lacking to put it nicely.

A tan or magpul follower only goes 2 ways, up and down. The black follower can nose dive almost 90 degrees INSIDE the mag, and roughly 45 degrees rearward. It ain't rocket science.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 2:16:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've been shooting ARs and M16s since the 1980s and can tell you for a fact that the anti-tilt follower improvement is a large part of what has made a marginal weapon system the reliable and widely accepted one that it is today... I started out with the original G.I. 20 rounders and 30 rd. with the black plastic follower. Those original 30 rounders are what I was issued in the Marine Corps. That generation of magazine was not reliable. When they sent me off to war, I was so confident in them and my rifle that I left it in the truck and carried an M60E3 instead. Today, with G.I. Mags upgraded with Magpul followers and Magpul gen 3 magazines, I am confident in my weapon again...

20 round G.I. Magazines are a different story all together... The only issue I ever had with them was with weak springs failing to get the follower up in time to engage the hold-open. Never any feed issues.

1DD
View Quote

+1 every bit of that; same personal experience here. Started the platform in the early 80's with (issued) 30's using black followers, then went to the green when they came out. The green were pretty good, and a definite improvement over the black.

Fact is, the black worked most of the time. An M60 machine gun or a Luger pistol work most of the time, but I have no desire to depend on one for serious use.

Same opinion as 1DD on the GI 20's as well, with their tilting [non-anti-tilting..? ]  follower. They're like an old F100 pickup to me - they aren't high-tech or sexy, but darned if they don't just work extremely well and work darn near forever.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 4:39:20 PM EDT
[#22]
The only mag with a black follower from Brownells will be the 20 round version, not the 30.  This is a non-issue.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 4:08:58 AM EDT
[#23]
I have about 10 preban mags that have old black followers.  You can tell when loading them they are not antitilt, but I have ran them without issue semi auto. I don't know about machine gun status though.  I have a lot of dsg mags with magpul followers, and that is what I shoot the most.  I just got 100 e-lander mags and the followers are tits, have not shot them yet though.  I can see how a non anti tilt follower could lead to problems just from loading them.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 8:00:03 PM EDT
[#24]
So what type of feed / failures are you having with the tilting mag followers?  Do they stop feeding / double feed?  Or is it just a loading difficulty issue?
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 9:44:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top