Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2015 2:52:11 PM EDT
Are actual Colt 9mm AR-15 mags still available?

My 9mm build only likes to be fed from a Colt mag, for whatever reason.  It is very particular about this.  Problem is, I only have one of these mags. This is a mag that is stamped "Colt", it's not a "Metalform" mag.  

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:29:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:50:23 PM EDT
[#2]
So Colt stamped mags are no longer available new?

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:44:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like Brownells sells what is considered to be a very high quality mag:

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazines/ar-15-m16-9mm-magazines-prod57092.aspx
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:03:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Metalform  mags work perfect in my ddles ar.  Tough to load but the lula loader fixes that.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:32:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I use ASC mags in my DDLES Colt style lower with very good results.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:36:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazines/ar-15-m16-9mm-magazines-prod57092.aspx
View Quote

I've had awesome luck with these, at a fraction of the price of the metalform mags.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:47:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I've had awesome luck with these, at a fraction of the price of the metalform mags.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good info, thanks.  Looks like they have a vastly superior finish on them as an added bonus.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:52:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Good info, thanks.  Looks like they have a vastly superior finish on them as an added bonus.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PSA sells metalform mags under their brand. Same as colt with a different finish and logo, and cheaper. They come in a little stiff and may cause doubles in the first two or three initial loads...after that no issues.

ETA: doubles:double feeds
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:24:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I picked up some new Colts on gunsamerica.com
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:56:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I fairly certain these are metalform magazines

with a different finish,brownells even uses the metalform part #

they are identical to my preban colt (other than the colt floorplate) and the mags I got direct from metalform..

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:41:27 AM EDT
[#11]
I haven't had shit for luck on mags.

Colts seem to be selling for a premium (Mid-$40 - Mid $50 range), but at the end of the day, Metalforms, etc. sell expensively enough (high $30 - $40 range) that the bump to Colts seems a little easier to swallow. I'd buy $25-$30 Metalforms all day long over $50 Colts, but $40 Metalforms? Might as well add another $10 for the horsey.

Incidentally my 6951 just arrived today with ONE Metalform-stamped 25 rd. magazine. That was disappointing.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:00:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I haven't had shit for luck on mags.

Colts seem to be selling for a premium (Mid-$40 - Mid $50 range), but at the end of the day, Metalforms, etc. sell expensively enough (high $30 - $40 range) that the bump to Colts seems a little easier to swallow. I'd buy $25-$30 Metalforms all day long over $50 Colts, but $40 Metalforms? Might as well add another $10 for the horsey.

Incidentally my 6951 just arrived today with ONE Metalform-stamped 25 rd. magazine. That was disappointing.
View Quote

http://www.cdnnsports.com/magazines/ar15-9mm-32rd-metalform.html#.VZy7aPlViko
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 7:17:21 AM EDT
[#13]
So back to the original question...it is no longer possible to purchase new mags with the Colt stamp on the bottom, for whatever that colt stamp is worth?

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 7:32:42 AM EDT
[#14]
http://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazines/magazine-assembly-32-round-9mm-prod23233.aspx?avs|Manufacturer_1=colt
I have no idea if they still stamp them as Colt when they changed manufacturers or if these style even function.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:57:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So back to the original question...it is no longer possible to purchase new mags with the Colt stamp on the bottom, for whatever that colt stamp is worth?

View Quote

My "unqualified" answer is this: If I answer in accordance with your wording, "No."

IDK when the last run of these were made by Colt itself, but the "new" ones I bought online have a date stamp of 1998 on them.
If you are interested in purchasing unused/NOS Colt magazines (for a premium) online, there are still vendors.

Google the following: colt sp62858

All of the vendors who are/were selling these pop up and prices vary. Buds guns sold me the "new" 1998 mags loose with handling marks on them, so beware.

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:49:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

My "unqualified" answer is this: If I answer in accordance with your wording, "No."

IDK when the last run of these were made by Colt itself, but the "new" ones I bought online have a date stamp of 1998 on them.
If you are interested in purchasing unused/NOS Colt magazines (for a premium) online, there are still vendors.

All of the vendors who are/were selling these pop up and prices vary. Buds guns sold me the "new" 1998 mags loose with handling marks on them, so beware.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, great info.

This looks like the animal in question here:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/82396/colt_sp62858_sporter_9mm_32_rd_black_finish
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top