Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2015 7:10:30 PM EDT
Can anyone attest to how durable the Magpul Ranger plates are?
Wanted to know if they would hold up to being dropped on concrete
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 12:05:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Can anyone attest to how durable the Magpul Ranger plates are?
Wanted to know if they would hold up to being dropped on concrete
View Quote

I don't use the Magpul Ranger floorplates, BUT I do use the Magpul Ranger L floor plates and they are MUCH better than the factory stamped aluminum units.

Link Posted: 6/21/2015 1:04:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Arent those ones made of some rubber to absorb the shock of being dropped?
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 8:31:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, they are a dense rubber.  I would think they would be the best, but I think they are insanely priced.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 9:47:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Arent those ones made of some rubber to absorb the shock of being dropped?
View Quote

Ridge line is correct on all of his comments (including PRICE )

But they have a stainless steel plate manufactured into the rubber to function as the floorplate, it's NOT going to fail like the factory plate can!

Plus they make the removal of the Floorplate easier.

Link Posted: 6/22/2015 10:54:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
...they are insanely priced.
View Quote

This. Good product, good concept, but goofy price. I see them as basically an insurance policy to reduce the likelihood of damage to the magazine. Thing is, they cost nearly as much as a new magazine. I just don't see paying $9 for an insurance policy on a $10 item, anymore than I'm going to pay $9,000 for an insurance policy on a $10,000 vehicle.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 4:01:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This. Good product, good concept, but goofy price. I see them as basically an insurance policy to reduce the likelihood of damage to the magazine. Thing is, they cost nearly as much as a new magazine. I just don't see paying $9 for an insurance policy on a $10 item, anymore than I'm going to pay $9,000 for an insurance policy on a $10,000 vehicle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...they are insanely priced.

Brownells has them at $18.95 for a pack of three, that's $6.31 each.

They can be found if you look hard enough for just over $5.00 each in three packs, yes they are pricey, thats why only thirty of my "go to" mags have them.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 2:52:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I always thought these were used mainly to aid in resting the mag in the "Prone Position" being the bottom is rounded (where you wouldn't ONLY have the rear edge of the mag a flat bottom) to tilt the rifle higher and lower while Prone.

Figured they were "Prone Cushions" (in a sense) (and finger loops for quicker reloads also)

Or are these strictly a "Drop cushion" to prevent the rounds from launching out of the feedlips if you drop one? I thought the "L Plates" were for that!?!?

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:12:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I always thought these were used mainly to aid in resting the mag in the "Prone Position" being the bottom is rounded (where you wouldn't ONLY have the rear edge of the mag a flat bottom) to tilt the rifle higher and lower while Prone.

Figured they were "Prone Cushions" (in a sense) (and finger loops for quicker reloads also)

Or are these strictly a "Drop cushion" to prevent the rounds from launching out of the feedlips if you drop one? I thought the "L Plates" were for that!?!?

https://4b1e874935ea5d25a97e-f099844d0e354c7ab50c55a966be6870.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/product/xmag212blk.jpg

View Quote

They help with drops but they're also useful for getting your mags out of a plate carrier or chest rig.

L plates are more of a drop cushion (and, as others mentioned, probably a bit overpriced, especially in the current magazine pricing market).
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:49:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got 28 USGI 30rd mags with half black, half flat dark earth Ranger plates since around 2008 and they're still currently going great.

I use the different colors plates because I load 55 grains bullets on one color and 62 grains and heavier on another color.

The Ranger plates do absorb shock when dropped on concrete or hard surfaces, the material is called Santoprene (*r) synthetic rubbery type material.

I only broken one Ranger plate when it was stuck on one of my mag when I was removing it, the bottom of the mag is out of spec and I forced the Ranger plate with too much force and broke the loop, it was my own fault.

Mostly I look around for a good sale price to avoid paying full retail for them, I mostly use them on my mag chest rig (6 to 12 mags), they're very durable and would highly recommend them.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:19:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I've dropped my Ranger plates on concrete and gravel with no issues.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top