Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2015 4:50:27 PM EDT
Just wondering if there was a lot of real life testing with the 40rd PMAGs.  Also if they are GTG do you think the military will start using these?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:54:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Also if they are GTG do you think the military will start using these?
View Quote

Since we aren't allowed to use 30 round Pmags, I'm going to guess not.

I have no trigger time with the 40 rounders, so I'll leave their reliability up for someone with first hand experience.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 5:01:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Curious as well, though I was under the impression they work great.  

No reason for them not to, this isn't new.  Steyr has been making 42 round polymer stick mags for the AUG for like 30 years, and still do, for military service for full auto use.  Same with RPK 40 round 7.62X39 mags. So there's no reason to think the PMag 40 would be anything other than great.  

Only thing is 40's are a bit long and cumbersome.  I bought one for giggles, maybe for certain 3-gun stages if I ever get into that.  But doubt I'll ever use it for much anything else.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 5:06:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Curious as well, though I was under the impression they work great.  

No reason for them not to, this isn't new.  Steyr has been making 42 round polymer stick mags for the AUG for like 30 years, and still do, for military service for full auto use.  Same with RPK 40 round 7.62X39 mags. So there's no reason to think the PMag 40 would be anything other than great.  

Only thing is 40's are a bit long and cumbersome.  I bought one for giggles, maybe for certain 3-gun stages if I ever get into that.  But doubt I'll ever use it for much anything else.
View Quote

+1, as for US military use? I will guess never. For AR's 40 rounders are fun but they stick out a ways.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 5:07:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Not really extensive testing, but I've used them on 3 outings and everything worked as any Pmags.  I have no idea whether they will be used by the military, but I'm guessing no.  They are as good as any Pmag, but are longer and may interfere with prone shooting.  There may also be problems associated with carrying them in pouches.  I'm not sure the additional 10 rounds would be worth any possible issues that may pop up because of the additional length.  30 rounders are quick enough to change and everyone is already used to their physical size in reloading and carrying.  Again, this is only a guess on my part.

For civilian use, I think they work fine and I don't regret buying them.  I use them in my home security system.  

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 5:08:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree that I wouldn't have many 40rd magazines but maybe 1 loaded in my go to AR would be nice.  I have been going back and forth with the coupler and having 2 30rd magazines loaded.  

I can see forgetting or messing up with a 40rd when all training was with a 30rd though so it might not be worth it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:35:21 PM EDT
[#6]
like has already been mentioned they are kinda long but as far a reliability I haven't had any issues FA/SA with the 3 I have through maybe 5-600rds.

not a real test by any means and I dont plan on one,just an observation.Im expecting them to be as reliable as the 30rd Pmags and so far they have been.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 6:42:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I got a couple of the 40 rd PMAGs early this year and so far so good, at least I had loaded them the full 40 rounds at least 4 times each without any issues, using surplus 5.56 ammo.

The extra length is not so bad, it's actually better than the 30 rd when using it like a mono pod when shooting prone.

My only other long time experience was with my Steyr AUG 42 rounds mag since 1989, same thing no problems, I just have to be aware that I have a longer mag protruding downwards.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 6:55:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Never had any issues with them.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:05:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Does magpul have lifetime warranty on all their mags ?
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:28:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I have and use the PMAG 40s.  Zero reliability issues (no stoppages while using).  They are a bit long for my tastes.  I prefer 20's for carry and 30's for reloads.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:51:18 AM EDT
[#11]
I like the idea of a 40 rounder as the magazine in the gun if the SHTF.  That Magpul D-60 may work better if proven reliable.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 2:11:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Took mine out today.  Worked fine.  Fun mag.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 2:29:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I have one,  it works but it's unwieldy and I don't like it.

I won't be buying more.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:15:55 PM EDT
[#14]
By the way, I had kept mine loaded for about 2 months, before firing it.  Ran fine.  Not an exhaustive test, but you asked for a data point.

The "Cover" is a joke though.  Those things don't really stay on very reliably on a loaded mag, but that's true of most of the PMags.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:52:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I wouldn't mind having one to play with. lol Right now all I have is all 30rd mags.  I would really like to have the Magpul D-60 like FALbert said but they really like them! Hell I can buy a shit load of 30rd mags for that price. lol Later, Mark

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 11:24:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 11:55:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 1:31:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Mine, work just like any other Pmag. They kind of have limited uses I use mine for 3 gun competitions otherwise i find them a bit long.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 4:38:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I use them in 3 gun and they work great! No issues at all with them
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:50:49 PM EDT
[#20]
do you folks feel the same about the 60 rd surefire?

Txl
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:43:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:12:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I had two of the 60rd Surfire mags that were not reliable out of the package, the follower would stick

I had to send them back to Surefire and two weeks later they were returned with different springs

they were reliable after that but I don't use them at all

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Txl

I had two of the 60rd Surfire mags that were not reliable out of the package, the follower would stick

I had to send them back to Surefire and two weeks later they were returned with different springs

they were reliable after that but I don't use them at all

Thanks, might as well pass, and give the fotays from mag a shot.

Txl
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:56:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 7:40:27 AM EDT
[#24]
I haven't run thousands of rounds through mine, but in my experience so far I have not had a single issue.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 11:42:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Good luck doing a 40 round mag dump and not having a smile on your face at the end.  I had a PMAG 40 and it worked great at the range.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 4:02:13 PM EDT
[#26]
In full auto they are nice.  Mostly I use mine in my AUG E4 where the extra length does not cause problems.  For day-to day use they are a bit long to be practical.

Never had a problem with one though.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 4:36:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Use mine in FA and worked great

Keep one next to the bedside rifle as a just in case

I have 6 and all have worked with no issues
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 10:38:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I like the idea of a 40 rounder as the magazine in the gun if the SHTF.  That Magpul D-60 may work better if proven reliable.  
View Quote

TOO MUCH WEIGHT A 30 ROUNDER IS  about 1  lbs the 60 drum will be 2lbs+
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 9:24:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Used one as my first mag for every evolution in a 5 day class (about 1000 rounds over the 5 days) and it was flawless, even after being dropped in mud and sand for the first three days.

As a first load I think its great, but I dont want all my mag pouches filled with 40's... If I had something like a M249 I may want them for faster loads over a belt, but I cant speak to their reliability in the mini.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 11:53:04 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a couple of 40s.  Haven't cycled them too many times (turns into a shitload of ammo quick) but the few times they have, they run perfect.  

Just picked up two more...
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:35:38 PM EDT
[#31]
They work good but not worth the extra length imo. Ymmv
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 2:25:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Inexpensive and reliable in my experience. Pisses liberals off too, a win win win.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 4:28:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Txl
View Quote

Nope
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 8:31:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Nope
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Txl

Nope

I don't know a lot about those.   Between that lack of familiarity, and the reputation of so many ultra large capacity systems failing, there is no way I would trust my life or a match to anything other than a PMag 40 (or AUG 42 I guess)
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 8:43:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Pisses liberals off too, a win win win.
View Quote

I bought 2 for this reason. They have ammo in them, but I don't recall having ever used them.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 5:47:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I don't know a lot about those.   Between that lack of familiarity, and the reputation of so many ultra large capacity systems failing, there is no way I would trust my life or a match to anything other than a PMag 40 (or AUG 42 I guess)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Txl

Nope

They are complete garbage, all manner of mag related failures, rounds would bind, tounds would not be properly presented, feedlips would easily get deformed, the works
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 10:25:56 AM EDT
[#37]
GTG for me! No issues.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 8:29:53 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Txl
View Quote
I got one for Christmas in 2010.  It worked great for about 6 months.  Then I didn't get to shoot it for about 3 years, and now it gives me nothing but problems.  The last time I loaded it and took it to the range the follower got stuck and wouldn't feed the second round.  I had to shake the ammo out to load into another mag.

I can't wait for the 60-round Magpul drums.  

Link Posted: 6/21/2015 12:50:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

They are complete garbage, all manner of mag related failures, rounds would bind, tounds would not be properly presented, feedlips would easily get deformed, the works
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Txl

Nope

That was my take on the Surefire mags too.  I watched people try to use those for a couple of years in competition.  Don't think I ever saw one feed a whole mag without choking.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 5:56:16 PM EDT
[#40]
My 1 40rd has been 100% reliable so far. Having said that, I've gone the 2x30rd(loaded to 25rds each) coupler for my main go-to/first grab for HD mags. Figure the 40rd has to obv work within a wider range(1rd or 40rds). The spring still has to be stiff enough whens almost empty. So when its full, the spring surely puts somewhat more pressure on the feed lips(I've heard somewhere they've had some deformation issues when loaded for long periods. dunno if its true tho) more so then a 20/30rdr. Or, its weaker when its running low. I figure its one or the other. So its not my first choice for a go-to/always loaded mag. But thats just me.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 11:33:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My 1 40rd has been 100% reliable so far. Having said that, I've gone the 2x30rd(loaded to 25rds each) coupler for my main go-to/first grab for HD mags. Figure the 40rd has to obv work within a wider range(1rd or 40rds). The spring still has to be stiff enough whens almost empty. So when its full, the spring surely puts somewhat more pressure on the feed lips(I've heard somewhere they've had some deformation issues when loaded for long periods. dunno if its true tho) more so then a 20/30rdr. Or, its weaker when its running low. I figure its one or the other. So its not my first choice for a go-to/always loaded mag. But thats just me.
View Quote

Why download to 25 rounds??  There's absolutely no reason to download a Pmag.  If you wanna be safe, do what I do.  Use a set of mags for a year, then retire 'em to training mags.  Use 'em for a year, then toss 'em or give 'em away.  That way you always have fresh mags.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 8:16:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Why download to 25 rounds??  There's absolutely no reason to download a Pmag.  If you wanna be safe, do what I do.  Use a set of mags for a year, then retire 'em to training mags.  Use 'em for a year, then toss 'em or give 'em away.  That way you always have fresh mags.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welp...in this case, the 2 30rdrs in question, are alum mil specs(green followers). Not Pmags. I've always short loaded those regardless. Ever since the 70s.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:40:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Welp...in this case, the 2 30rdrs in question, are alum mil specs(green followers). Not Pmags. I've always short loaded those regardless. Ever since the 70s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

28 I can see, and do myself with g.i. mags, but 25 is cutting it way shorter than it needs to be.  Get some new springs if they don't work...
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:31:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

28 I can see, and do myself with g.i. mags, but 25 is cutting it way shorter than it needs to be.  Get some new springs if they don't work...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely agree regarding 28, normally. Just stacking the deck so to speak, concerning these pertic mags by going less then normal. Since they'll prolly be loaded for a good length of time. I don't want any surprises.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top