Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2015 10:21:00 AM EDT
Are these any good? Any experience with them?
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:37:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Sure, it's all we run, but how much difference is a follower going to make (over green)?

And they are not (legally) available to civilians.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:29:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sure, it's all we run, but how much difference is a follower going to make (over green)?

View Quote

I've been saying this for years, but it doesn't sit well among the range commandos and the sellers of said followers...........

People here obsess over the littlest things..
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 2:02:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

You run them.  Do you mean in AFG (like your avatar)?  How would you say they stack up against Magpul followers?

I just bought 30 of the Tan OKs NIW at a gunshow and thinking of upgrading the followers.  But if the tans work fine....
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 2:27:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You run them.  Do you mean in AFG (like your avatar)?  How would you say they stack up against Magpul followers?

I just bought 30 of the Tan OKs NIW at a gunshow and thinking of upgrading the followers.  But if the tans work fine....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep in mind, the spring attaches differently on the Tan followers than on earlier mags.

Last time I looked, Magpul doesn't offer a replacement follower for the newer tan follower mags.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 2:36:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Keep in mind, the spring attaches differently on the Tan followers than on earlier mags.

Last time I looked, Magpul doesn't offer a replacement follower for the newer tan follower mags.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right, I know I'd have to get new springs too
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 2:39:58 PM EDT
[#6]
You might check these out, I will say I know nothing about them other than they appear to be almost a Magpul knockoff designed to fit the newer springs.

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 2:49:58 PM EDT
[#7]
but if the tan follower mags are decent, I may not even need to do the replacement.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 5:29:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been using the tan follower Centers ever since they were first issued.  

Not a single problem with the hundred or so that I've seen.  

Tan followers and springs are GTG, I would definitely NOT replace them with anything as I think they are an upgrade over the green, and are at least the equal of a Magpul follower.  The spring is stiffer than the older g.i. springs too.  Those mags were designed to work with full auto supressed 10.3" barrels, and they do it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 5:32:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've been using the tan follower Centers ever since they were first issued.  

Not a single problem with the hundred or so that I've seen.  

Tan followers and springs are GTG, I would definitely NOT replace them with anything as I think they are an upgrade over the green, and are at least the equal of a Magpul follower.  The spring is stiffer than the older g.i. springs too.  Those mags were designed to work with full auto supressed 10.3" barrels, and they do it.
View Quote

Thanks bro...you just saved me $1.69 x30 for springs, and $6 x 10 for followers, $110.70 in total...in short, you rock, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 5:49:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Technically no military equipment is, but if Center or any other contractor has an overrun and the mags were never purchased by the government, they can be sold.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 11:28:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Technically no military equipment is, but if Center or any other contractor has an overrun and the mags were never purchased by the government, they can be sold.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For other items, perhaps.

In the case of the tan followers, they (the manufacturers involved) are expressly forbidden from selling them in the civilian market.

So any you do find are stolen government property.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:12:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Killer -

When you said "all we run", what did you  mean by that?
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 2:54:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Killer -

When you said "all we run", what did you  mean by that?
View Quote

The Army has been running mostly tans for a few years now.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:49:32 PM EDT
[#14]
You've used them yourself too?
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:59:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You've used them yourself too?
View Quote

Yes, that's also what I meant by "we".
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:07:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Good deal.  Thanks.  And thanks for your service!!!!
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:31:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, but the tan followers/springs simply cannot be upgraded.  They are the most advanced, engineered magazine parts that the US military has. The spring and follower were designed together.  There is nothing like available in the civilian world.  The spring "locks" onto the follower and vice versa which makes it much less likely to tilt. Nothing exists that is better.....
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:38:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Nothing exists that is better.....
View Quote

I bet Magpul would disagree.  
I'm still lost why the new USGI mag follower positions the round on the opposite side, meaning the full mag has the top round on the left instead of the right, as just about all other mags do.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:17:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm still lost why the new USGI mag follower positions the round on the opposite side, meaning the full mag has the top round on the left instead of the right, as just about all other mags do.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Nothing exists that is better.....

Of course they do, they sell followers in case you hadn't noticed.  However AFAIK their follower is designed to work with the old spring.  The new military follower is a spring and follower designed to work better together.  At this point they are probably practically the same in terms of performance so you are splitting hairs of the hairs split over the 10 years of debate about thirty round followers which in the grand scheme is a minor thing to begin with.  15 years ago on this forum the green military follower was the end of all magazine problems.................then something better came allong and everyone just had to have them and the wonderous cure- all green followers were garbage.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:04:27 PM EDT
[#20]
 However AFAIK their follower is designed to work with the old spring.
View Quote
 Right.  The attachment point on the MP follower is positioned for the original style spring.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:51:22 AM EDT
[#21]
It's also worth noting that there will be a revision to these mags.

Different feed lip geometry and a higher front wall. Supposedly increases reliability by 300% over the current tan follower mags.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 5:32:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Different feed lip geometry and a higher front wall. Supposedly increases reliability by 300% over the current tan follower mags.
View Quote

The USGI mags are being upgraded??
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 5:38:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because the words military and intelligence don't go together.  I have no idea, but it has nothing to do with patents as some of the "experts' here have suggested.  Patents have nothing to do with left-right orientation.  And the military has/had all the original patents for M16 magazines so they would own the original side anyways.....
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:52:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think Brownells mags started the upgrade in August '14.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top