Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2015 1:49:12 PM EDT
How has the report of reliability been with Surefire Gen II 60 rounders been?  

I had a negative recent experience with a gen 1 that I kept fully loaded for 2 years.  Test fired it a couple times after I first bought it.  Loaded it with 60 rounds of Fed Fusion, and let it sit for 2 years.  Went to fire it last weekend and the report of what happened is below.

My experience

Just curious, if the new springs are strong enough to resist feeding problems even after longterm storage?

Feel free to post your experiences with the gen IIs positive and negative below!
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 7:22:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I had read that early '13 mags were the Gen2? Does this seem right?
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 8:30:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I think gen 2 started in late 2012.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:59:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I picked a couple up a few months ago. I only took one out of the package so far.

At first they seemed a little "hard" to load.  It felt like there was a little biding. At the range I did not have any feed issues but the bolt would not lock to rear at first. After using it a few times the bolt locked back and it is easier to load.

I don't have a lot of time on them - about 6 times - and definitely not hard use. I would say to run them a few times at the range before using them for anything serious.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:18:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I picked a couple up a few months ago. I only took one out of the package so far.

At first they seemed a little "hard" to load.  It felt like there was a little biding. At the range I did not have any feed issues but the bolt would not lock to rear at first. After using it a few times the bolt locked back and it is easier to load.

I don't have a lot of time on them - about 6 times - and definitely not hard use. I would say to run them a few times at the range before using them for anything serious.

View Quote

That's illegal in Massachusetts!  

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 2:27:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Part of my tax return is being directed toward purchasing several 60 rounders.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 6:59:35 PM EDT
[#6]
We have to have SOME recent feedback about these?
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 9:41:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 1:58:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I have to ask, had you fired the fully loaded 60rd prior to filling it and storage ? I realize that is a silly question... but..

I have one of the 1st gen and had to dryfilm lube it and do a paint stick compression a few dozen times in order to make it run smooth. Dang near everything in it bond up... the springs, the follower... but after the dry film lube I didn't have any problems.

It still worked fine after being fully loaded with 60 rds for about a year +, realistically since about 3 months of being released... it has set for about 3 additional months ... now you got me wondering. I think I have fired it full to empty 3 times.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 5:29:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, before I stored it loaded for two years, I fired it fully loaded a couple of times, and it functioned fine.  One time I even had a mishmash of ammo (a few rounds of brass, followed be some steel, etc).

I am not sure if the majority of the problem came from the magazine being stored loaded for two years, or from the cold temperature, or both?  It was a gen 1 mag, so that may have had something to do with it as well.

Not sure what they tweaked with the Gen IIs to make them run better.  Stronger spring maybe?

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top