Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 7:29:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Adding to round count RELIABLY is like making cars go fast. After a certain point, every increment gets more and more expensive. The parts count on this drum is a lot more than on a 30rd mag.

It's not a cost effective way to carry a total of 60 rounds that will reliably feed.

It IS the most cost effective way to carry 60 rounds that will reliably feed in ONE magazine, at least in our fairly extensive testing.

Because, this is America, after all.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why is it the price of 13 mags?   Serious question

Adding to round count RELIABLY is like making cars go fast. After a certain point, every increment gets more and more expensive. The parts count on this drum is a lot more than on a 30rd mag.

It's not a cost effective way to carry a total of 60 rounds that will reliably feed.

It IS the most cost effective way to carry 60 rounds that will reliably feed in ONE magazine, at least in our fairly extensive testing.

So... Any plans for 100 round drum if the 60 goes well?
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 7:37:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You guys have issues with the Surefires in your tests? Mine never worked right. Loved to jam up and spit rounds everywhere. I got a replacement, but honestly I dont trust it, one of these days I'll sell it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 9:39:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Can you make it a 15-rounders for us in Colorado

Nah...just like driving up to Cheyenne for fireworks, road trip is calling.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:52:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You guys have issues with the Surefires in your tests? Mine never worked right. Loved to jam up and spit rounds everywhere. I got a replacement, but honestly I dont trust it, one of these days I'll sell it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Surefire had some teething issues.  The 3 I own and the 3 my brother has work fine.  So does my friends 60 rounder, and his shooting buddies.  Overblown on the net as usual.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 11:03:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 11:10:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I look forward to this product. Should be excellent stuff as usual.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:17:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't expect the release date to be on time.  I'd be surprised if they were on time.  Also, I would wait for a couple years before purchasing this product.  This will allow all the bugs identified and fixed for perfection.  Magpul is known to release products that are subpar and leave room for improvement.  Which means, they release new gear, and end up perfecting it even more to make you buy their updated version of it.  This explains the many generations of their gear.  Just sayin
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:34:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Don't expect the release date to be on time.  I'd be surprised if they were on time.  Also, I would wait for a couple years before purchasing this product.  This will allow all the bugs identified and fixed for perfection.  Magpul is known to release products that are subpar and leave room for improvement.  Which means, they release new gear, and end up perfecting it even more to make you buy their updated version of it.  This explains the many generations of their gear.  Just sayin
View Quote

FFS.  They're not releasing subpar items.  Multiple generations happen because they choose to improve their designs using feedback from the field and newer and improved technologies.  No matter how well you test an item prior to releasing it, actual use by consumers is likely to show something that could be improved, even if it is sufficient.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:06:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I totally agree with what you're saying but if I were to make a product for sale I would want it to be the best that it can be.  Let other companies or manufacturers put out something better instead of competing with yourself.  I am looking forward to getting one of these just to try out and to keep as a novelty item.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:27:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
PLEASE offer it with the clear back
View Quote

Beta figured out pretty quickly that people like the clear backs on their drums.  I'm hoping Magpul is as good at listening to what their customers want.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:21:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

So we should all be driving the first F150. No need for ford to update the truck?

They take user feedback for updates and real world testing changes every product. Improved manufacturing and updates to any thing in the supply change will change the final product.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 6:20:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

FFS.  They're not releasing subpar items.  Multiple generations happen because they choose to improve their designs using feedback from the field and newer and improved technologies.  No matter how well you test an item prior to releasing it, actual use by consumers is likely to show something that could be improved, even if it is sufficient.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been pretty hard on Magpul lately, but I gotta agree with this.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:20:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So we should all be driving the first F150. No need for ford to update the truck?...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So we should all be driving the first F150. No need for ford to update the truck?...

Heck, the F-150 to us WAS the update. Grew up with F-100's. In-line 300 six, three-on-the-tree; that's good stuff...

On topic - I don't know if I'll spring for $130 for these or not. I won't be one of the early adopters, but if reviews are good, I may (or may not) jump on the drum train. That said, I'm HUGELY glad to see it hit the market. I don't like straight-stick AR mags past 30 rds, not going to pay the ridiculous price of a graphite-necessary beta, and too many questionable issues (and too many dollars) with the X-Products drums. If this D60 is as good as it could potentially be, it may actually be the one that finally pulls me into the drum-magazine market.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:45:05 PM EDT
[#14]

These look great.  Can't wait for dimension and weight figures.  With a $130 MSRP, street price should be around $100, about in line with Surefire's 60 rounder.  Still higher than I was hoping for.  Was expecting that when Magpul released a 50+ round feeding device that the price would be $50 or less, since they are known for being ultra competitive with their magazine prices.  I understand about R&D and "more parts" but that polymer formula they use in all their products costs them very little in terms of actual material's cost.  

They have to look at it this way too, how many are they likely to sell at $100 price point vs. say a $40 price point?  Even with slimmer margins, they are likely to have a much greater volume of sale that will net them more capital overall for this product.  Not as many people can or will pay $100 for a product such as a magazine, also many may be hesitant to experiment with one for that price.  Make the price more reasonable and not only will more buy, but there is less risk for a customer to experiment with something they may not be 100% about.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:46:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
These look great.  Can't wait for dimension and weight figures.  With a $130 MSRP, street price should be around $100, about in line with Surefire's 60 rounder.  Still higher than I was hoping for.  Was expecting that when Magpul released a 50+ round feeding device that the price would be $50 or less, since they are known for being ultra competitive with their magazine prices.  I understand about R&D and "more parts" but that polymer formula they use in all their products costs them very little in terms of actual material's cost.  

They have to look at it this way too, how many are they likely to sell at $100 price point vs. say a $40 price point?  Even with slimmer margins, they are likely to have a much greater volume of sale that will net them more capital overall for this product.  Not as many people can or will pay $100 for a product, also many may be hesitant to try one for that price.  Make the price more reasonable and not only will more buy, but there is less risk for a customer to experiment with something.

View Quote

For $50 I would considering buying 1-2, for $100... no thanks
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:47:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have to look at it this way too, how many are they likely to sell at $100 price point vs. say a $40 price point?  Even with slimmer margins, they are likely to have a much greater volume of sale that will net them more capital overall for this product.  Not as many people can or will pay $100 for a product like a magazine, also many may be hesitant to try one for that price.  Make the price more reasonable and not only will more buy, but there is less risk for a customer to experiment with something.

Case in point.

Often times volume of sale is far superior in terms of revenue generation for a product, especially when it comes to something like magazines.  Even at $40, you're x4+ the price of a base pmag, and x2+ the cost of their 40 rounder.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:12:50 PM EDT
[#17]
They will sell quite well at $120 or whatever the street price ends up being. Love the innovation magpul!
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:45:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They will sell quite well at $120 or whatever the street price ends up being. Love the innovation magpul!
View Quote

Hi,

I don't know that I'd call this design innovative.  The basic design looks like an adaptation of the Soviet RPD/RPK drum magazine updated for polymer.  I wouldn't be surprised if it developed some of the same faults.

Regards:
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:33:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Cool.

I am absolutely baffled that the SAW didn't jam up from being fed through its stupid magazine well.
View Quote

What's weird is the FN M249 chokes on magazines and the Daewoo K3 (Korean M249 knockoff) runs great with either the belt or maxwell.

Here is a pic of a heavily customized Daewoo K3 running a C-Mag....

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:39:19 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm assuming <Edited...........GD Type commentary..........dpmmn>  
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:51:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:14:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/magpul-d60-inside.jpg

They have to look at it this way too, how many are they likely to sell at $100 price point vs. say a $40 price point?  Even with slimmer margins, they are likely to have a much greater volume of sale that will net them more capital overall for this product.  Not as many people can or will pay $100 for a product such as a magazine, also many may be hesitant to experiment with one for that price.  Make the price more reasonable and not only will more buy, but there is less risk for a customer to experiment with something they may not be 100% about.

View Quote

Or maybe they don't want to have to manufacture that many on release date so they're setting a price point to keep them from contstantly being out of stock. There's a reason the price is what it is.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:24:32 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm in for a couple. Good work MP.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:35:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What's weird is the FN M249 chokes on magazines and the Daewoo K3 (Korean M249 knockoff) runs great with either the belt or maxwell.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q125/PursuitSS/range010.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q125/PursuitSS/range008.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cool.

I am absolutely baffled that the SAW didn't jam up from being fed through its stupid magazine well.

Wow that thing looks awesome.

Where can I get one

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:47:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Or maybe they don't want to have to manufacture that many on release date so they're setting a price point to keep them from contstantly being out of stock. There's a reason the price is what it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/magpul-d60-inside.jpg

Well, that's one of the few reasons that would make sense.  Hopefully in a year or so they can dedicate some more time and resources to producing them.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:26:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

RPD's and RPK's are different since a RPD is belt fed  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi,

I don't know that I'd call this design innovative.  The basic design looks like an adaptation of the Soviet RPDRPK drum magazine updated for polymer.  I wouldn't be surprised if it developed some of the same faults.

Regards:

RPD's and RPK's are different since a RPD is belt fed  

Hi,

Point taken and corrected,  I do note that the both the RPD and RPK drums had issues with dirt causing extra friction.  The new Magpul's P-Mag60D drum magazines feed system does resemble the older RPK feed mechanism that has much more friction than the later magazines.  It'll be interesting to see how it performs with both brass and steel ammo.

Best Regards:
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:55:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:  What's weird is the FN M249 chokes on magazines and the Daewoo K3 (Korean M249 knockoff) runs great with either the belt or maxwell.

View Quote

Probably nobody told the Koreans that the MINIMI doesn't actually run on magazines, so they kept working on their clone 'til it did.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:33:32 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm in for at least one.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:30:04 PM EDT
[#29]
This and the new 700 SA stock.  You keep giving me reasons to buy from you.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:39:27 PM EDT
[#30]
I'll deff buy a few. Lately I've been on a hi-cap mag binge. 2 MGW 90 rounders, a surefire 60, 2 korean 100 drums and 2 40rnd PMags yesterday.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:45:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since ArmaTac already has a 150rnd drum ($450) and the Korean $100/100rnd drums run fine, I think MagPul would have to make a 150 cheaply, or a 200rounder to be competitive.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:40:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Well when you consider that you can buy 10 30 Rd Pmags for the price of just one of these, I see it more of a novelty than anything.  If reports come back that they work as intended (Flawlessly) I'll probably buy just 1.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 8:23:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Count me in for sure
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:04:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Well when you consider that you can buy 10 30 Rd Pmags for the price of just one of these, I see it more of a novelty than anything.  If reports come back that they work as intended (Flawlessly) I'll probably buy just 1.
View Quote

Yeah, I deffinately buy more 30s than my bigger mags/drums. I keep one of my beta drums in my AR and keep 9 30s in my chest rig. So I buy about 10 to 1 ratio, 1 drum or surefire to 10 banana mags.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:33:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Will buy at least one in sand color maybe two if they function flawlessly.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 4:53:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 7:43:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Nice!  I'd try one out.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:29:39 PM EDT
[#38]
If they work good, I'll buy a bunch of them just to piss the libs off.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:42:47 AM EDT
[#39]
I handled it at shot show.  It felt solid. I mean steel solid.

The loading lever functioned smoothly.   I didn't get To look at the inside but who cares.

It doesn't extend further than a 30rd mag. And that is nice.  Did I say that the tactile feel was marvelous?

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:36:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yeah, I deffinately buy more 30s than my bigger mags/drums. I keep one of my beta drums in my AR and keep 9 30s in my chest rig. So I buy about 10 to 1 ratio, 1 drum or surefire to 10 banana mags.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's a banana mag? Does it clip a bunch of bananas together?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 2:14:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Can you make it a 15-rounders for us in Colorado

Nah...just like driving up to Cheyenne for fireworks, road trip is calling.
View Quote

Didn't you get at least one of the secret prototypes of this mag back in May of '13?  I thought you did, like everyone else in this state.

Anyway, that mag is pretty cool.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:27:02 PM EDT
[#42]
          <Edited.........GD Type image removed........dpmmn>
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:25:40 PM EDT
[#43]
I'll definitely get 2 of them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:57:32 AM EDT
[#44]
I'll end up buying at least one. I'd probably buy at least two or more if they came in at $75 or less.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 3:20:25 AM EDT
[#45]
If Magpul were a person, I'd hug you.

IN!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:06:33 AM EDT
[#46]
I'd certainly purchase one or two.

Thank you for posting this information.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:29:06 AM EDT
[#47]
I need this because of reasons!
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:27:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 9:32:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Cool.

View Quote

they always run well off the mag well with real ammo it's the blanks they choke on.

curious But I really like the 2 surefire 60s I have I'll wait a while.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 2:03:57 AM EDT
[#50]
I wonder if these will work with a Gen 2 Noveske lower? Surefire and Beta Mags don't....Im not sure about the 50 round X product mag?
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top