Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2014 4:17:37 AM EDT
Hello there !!!

Was just wondering if at any point in the future will the new style tan flowers and the new style springs be offer for sale to the public? I heard because its patented and owned by the military but at some point will the patent end and the spring and follower be offered for sale?

Also beside the tan follower and new spring to go with it is there any difference in a magazine bodies from the green followers to the town followers or is the only difference in D just the follower and the spring?

Thanks and sorry for the newbie questions.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 4:30:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Bodies are the same; spring and follower are different.

Don't know if/when they will be offered commercially but we were issued a boat load of BCM D&Hs and I'd call them just as good if not better than the tan issues mags.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:31:49 AM EDT
[#2]

those advanced followers have been available in commercial mags for a couple years.

I have a bunch from D+H and CProducts.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:40:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
those advanced followers have been available in commercial mags for a couple years.

View Quote

I think your thinking about magpul followers d and h and c products have never had the tan followers .
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:47:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I think your thinking about magpul followers d and h and c products have never had the tan followers .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

C Products MIGHT have offered them. They sure ignored Magpul's Patent.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:52:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have never seen the USGI tan follower/spring produced/copied by any aftermarket company.  It is quite a unique product and I suspect the goberment has patented it.  What most people ignore is that the major anti tilt feature is not the follower but the way the spring and follower lock together; the follower doesn't "pivot" on the spring.  There is nothing that equals it available aftermarket.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 10:38:03 AM EDT
[#6]
USGI tan followers were available in Brownells USGI magazines at one time. I believe they no longer are.

They used special springs.

The follower is backwards and leaves the last round on the left when the magazine is evenly loaded (full).

I personally think they are crap.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 8:42:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
USGI tan followers were available in Brownells USGI magazines at one time. I believe they no longer are.

The follower is backwards and leaves the last round on the left when the magazine is evenly loaded (full).

View Quote

I had a pretty good pile of Okays with the tan followers and got rid of 'em for the same reason.  Magpul's followers have been working fine for me for years.  I don't need any backwards followers confusing me.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 10:04:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I had a pretty good pile of Okays with the tan followers and got rid of 'em for the same reason.  Magpul's followers have been working fine for me for years.  I don't need any backwards followers confusing me.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There must have been some logical reason on paper why the military justified the R&D and manufacturing expense to design, develop, and produce both a new follower AND new spring system over just developing a new follower design or licensing magpul's follower design.

Link Posted: 12/7/2014 1:26:07 PM EDT
[#9]
So do you guys think they are crap for another reason than the follower not being on your preferred side?
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 3:15:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So do you guys think they are crap for another reason than the follower not being on your preferred side?
View Quote

The material they are made of feels like crap compared to every other modern follower.

Also: The only USGI I have had a problem with out of the box was one of those.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 7:54:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The material they are made of feels like crap compared to every other modern follower.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I disagree, the new follower material feels better than the plasticy feeling followers of most other brands.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 12:41:31 PM EDT
[#12]
What does it matter what something "feels" like??  They feel like plastic to me which is what I think they are made of.  How something looks or feels is secondary to how it functions..
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 3:57:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What does it matter what something "feels" like??  They feel like plastic to me which is what I think they are made of.  How something looks or feels is secondary to how it functions..
View Quote

Because a part with a high-friction, sandstone like feel may not be the ideal material for a follower. You want smooth, low-friction for that.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 2:25:03 AM EDT
[#14]
top round on opposite side is such a dumbass result, only the government could come up with it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 4:35:35 AM EDT
[#15]
I think they went opposite side to avoid infringement on magpuls design.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:10:41 AM EDT
[#16]
The Brownells was pretty close.  They work fine but cost more than other mags with Magpul followers. I don't see the point unless you just want a copy of USGI issue.  

Not sure if the Brownells were USGI issue or not but  for m they work just as well.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:59:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think they went opposite side to avoid infringement on magpuls design.
View Quote

Magpul has said this isn't so.  The military  had/has most of the M16 parts patented already long ago.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 1:07:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

That feature is slightly annoying but not a deal breaker.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 2:12:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's exactly why I posed my question. People seem to get all caught up on this stuff that really doesn't matter. I don't care how they feel to someone or how you don't like the way a mag looks. If it works it works and that's all I care about.
Edit: I'm a dumbass who can't spell.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 3:14:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It's exactly why I posed my question. People seem to get all caught up on this stuff that really doesn't matter. I don't care how they feel to someone or how you don't like the way a mag looks. If it works it works and that's all I care about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a very good reason to want the follower to match the even-round-on-right configuration of every other magazine for the AR that is worth a shit.

Friction also matters.

Proprietary springs are logistically disadvantageous.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 3:31:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

There is a very good reason to want the follower to match the even-round-on-right configuration of every other magazine for the AR that is worth a shit.

Friction also matters.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Friction also matters.

Friction does matter, However bleach is slippery and I don't use it as a lube. Best way to test friction is a dirt test instead of rubbing the follower with your hands.
Springs rarely break and I would keep the mag body but you could just as easily replace the entire follower and spring if you really needed that mag.
To your first comment i'm not even sure what you were trying to say there... Do I need the right side round to be even for a mag to work? (This is a serious question I really don't understand why everyone wants the round to be on the right side)
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 6:19:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey, TUAEITS.
About the "round" being on the right of the follower.
People are trained to do a "press check" after loading a magazine and chambering a round.
You do a press check to ensure that you did indeed, put a round into the chamber.
The preferred way (IMHO) to do that with an AR, is to drop the magazine and look to see that your top round is on the LEFT.
This can also be done by feel, if you find yourself in the dark.

Consistency is the key with this press check thing.
I load all my mags with an even number of rounds (28 in a G.I. mag).
Loaded this way, all my ready mags end up with the top cartridge on the right.
If I think I chamber a round, but don't, the top cartridge will remain on the right when I drop my mag for the press check.
If I perform the press check, and the top cartridge is on the left, I know I do in fact, have a round chambered.

A lot of people have been trained this way, for a long time.
Having magazines floating around that are the exact opposite, can cock things up.
Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 6:23:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hey, TUAEITS.
People are trained to do a "press check" after loading a magazine and chambering a round.
You do a press check to ensure that you did indeed, put a round into the chamber.
The preferred way (IMHO) to do that with an AR, is to drop the magazine and look to see that your top round is on the LEFT.

If I think I chamber a round, but don't, the top cartridge will remain on the right when I drop my mag for the press check.
If I perform the press check, and the top cartridge is on the left, I know I do in fact, have a round chambered.

Having magazines floating around that are the exact opposite, can cock things up.
Hope this helps.
View Quote

I get that but I just load my guns and keep them loaded. Press checks aren't necessary. That's a training issue not a mag issue.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 7:08:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I get that but I just load my guns and keep them loaded. Press checks aren't necessary. That's a training issue not a mag issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey, TUAEITS.

Hope this helps.

How do you know the rifle is loaded without checking which side the ammo is on, dropping the bolt, then confirming it is now on the opposite side?

You don't.

Bolt over base malfunctions happen. They can result in a closed bolt with on empty chamber that you believe is loaded.

The reason I dislike the backwards even-round-side isn't actually related to press checking (as you should check which side it is on at the start). Rather, as all my magazines are evenly loaded (and "right is right"), when I see a magazine with the round on the left side, I inspect it, as it indicates the magazine is partial, possibly malfunctioning if the magazine "should" be full.

It is a good mindset to have, and I refuse to mix and match even-round-side magazines for a given platform. Right-is-right for ARs, and commies-are-backwards for the AK.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:13:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

How do you know the rifle is loaded without checking which side the ammo is on, dropping the bolt, then confirming it is now on the opposite side?

You don't.

Bolt over base malfunctions happen. They can result in a closed bolt with on empty chamber that you believe is loaded.

The reason I dislike the backwards even-round-side isn't actually related to press checking (as you should check which side it is on at the start). Rather, as all my magazines are evenly loaded (and "right is right"), when I see a magazine with the round on the left side, I inspect it, as it indicates the magazine is partial, possibly malfunctioning if the magazine "should" be full.

It is a good mindset to have, and I refuse to mix and match even-round-side magazines for a given platform. Right-is-right for ARs, and commies-are-backwards for the AK.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey, TUAEITS.

Hope this helps.

You don't.

You could still have a partial and it be on the right side. 50% chance it is actually. Whereas with any style of follower you can just press down on it and realize if you are full , empty or in between.

Edit: Forgot to respond to the first part. You can feel and hear the difference when you load a gun. It sounds and feels different chambering a round vs. just running the bolt.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:45:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You could still have a partial and it be on the right side. 50% chance it is actually. Whereas with any style of follower you can just press down on it and realize if you are full , empty or in between.

Edit: Forgot to respond to the first part. You can feel and hear the difference when you load a gun. It sounds and feels different chambering a round vs. just running the bolt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey, TUAEITS.

Hope this helps.

You don't.

I question how reliably you tell the difference in sound between a bolt over base malfunction (which often still has the bolt contacting brass to some degree and a rifle which loads correctly.

And I know that loud environments will compromise that ability if it does exist.

There is probably a reason why every qualified authority figure on weapon manipulation teaches the press check technique I laid out as part of the loading procedure.

To address the first point, when a round is on the wrong side of the magazine, there is a 100% chance it is a partial, and if that magazine was supposed to be full, then it is malfunctioning. The ability to catch such problems, even if only 50% of the time, is worth keeping.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:04:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I question how reliably you tell the difference in sound between a bolt over base malfunction (which often still has the bolt contacting brass to some degree and a rifle which loads correctly.

And I know that loud environments will compromise that ability if it does exist.

There is probably a reason why every qualified authority figure on weapon manipulation teaches the press check technique I laid out as part of the loading procedure.

To address the first point, when a round is on the wrong side of the magazine, there is a 100% chance it is a partial, and if that magazine was supposed to be full, then it is malfunctioning. The ability to catch such problems, even if only 50% of the time, is worth keeping.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey, TUAEITS.

Hope this helps.

You don't.

To not get any more off base (If you wish to continue the discussion PM me) The mags work fine right?
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 8:23:15 PM EDT
[#28]
NHMTG FOR ME! With magpul follower. Never failed.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top