Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2014 1:02:48 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I've got a deer lease in Oklahoma, which has a stupid law that restricts all .22 caliber rifles to 5 round magazines.  I've called OKDW and they confirmed that it applies to .223 rifles as well, but that if I hunted with say an AK in 7.62 I'd be fine with a 30 round magazine.  Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.  

Anyway, I'm looking to buy a reliable 5 round magazine, and another to give my father-in-law.  I'm a little wary of ProMag, which is the only manufacturer I've found that makes one.  Unfortunately I can't just put a dowel rod in on of my P-mags, or rivet a USGI to only accept 5 rounds, as the officer I spoke to stated that the magazine must be factory marked with a 5 round capacity.

Can you guys give me any suggestions for a reliable 5 rounder?

Thanks!

ETA - PROMAG: Please Remember Our Magazines Are Garbage.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:24:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Here are the 5RD magazines that Exile Machine offers. They are an ARFCOM Industry Partner. I've also ordered from them (BCM KMR 13), and they ship same day if order is placed before 3PM CST. As for the dependability of the 5RD mags they list, I won't be able to give any input.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:27:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Check Midwayusa or Cheaperthandirt both have a few options.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:29:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.  I'll order a couple from Exile.  The ones I've seen on CheaperThanDirt were ProMags and another brand I'd never herd of, no anti-tilt followers.  I knew I'd get a quick response here.  Appreciate it!
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:57:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got a 5 round Bushmaster as well as a 5 round AR-Stoner.  Neither have ever given me a problem.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:31:13 PM EDT
[#5]
get a 10rd magpul and a -5 rd limiter.

I have 2 AR stoner mags, one binds and is now a 3 rd mag, the other seems fine
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:33:57 PM EDT
[#6]
5 rounder with Bushmaster floor plate is GTG.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:36:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I use AR Stoner 5 rounders, work fine for .223 and 300 blackout.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:15:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Colt 20's factory blocked to 5
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:15:15 PM EDT
[#9]
use pop rivets to limit the capacity of a 20 round mag to 5
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:39:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I would go with Magpul 10rd with 5 rd limiter. So what about 300 blk would you be okay then?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:04:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would go with Magpul 10rd with 5 rd limiter. So what about 300 blk would you be okay then?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

yes - it's a stupid ass reg and the only rifle magazine restriction for hunting in Oklahoma.  It also only applies to deer hunting.

Clips or magazines of all .22 caliber centerfire firearms may not be capable of holding more than seven rounds of ammunition
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:13:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, I've got 2 I've had for a few years and they've been trouble free.

Also, with them being a straight bodied magazine, you're not going to want anti-tilt followers.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 1:45:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
get a 10rd magpul and a -5 rd limiter.

I have 2 AR stoner mags, one binds and is now a 3 rd mag, the other seems fine
View Quote

Can't do that, as the OKDW interprets the law to read that the magazine must be factory marked as 7 or less rounds.  That's from two different officers in two different counties.  I thought I could just stick a dowel rod into one of my colt 20 rounders.  No dice.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 1:48:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Also, with them being a straight bodied magazine, you're not going to want anti-tilt followers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why is it that I wouldn't want anti-tilt followers?  I thought those increased reliability in all mags.  
In some of my 20 rounders with the old black follower, the rounds will occasionally tilt causing it to bind up.  Never had it jammed in the gun, only while loading it, but I'm curious why you say that?

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 3:30:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Why is it that I wouldn't want anti-tilt followers?  I thought those increased reliability in all mags.  
In some of my 20 rounders with the old black follower, the rounds will occasionally tilt causing it to bind up.  Never had it jammed in the gun, only while loading it, but I'm curious why you say that?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't want anti-tilt followers in any straight bodied magazine.  The curvature of most 30 round magazines account for the shape of stacked ammunition.  In a straight bodied magazine, you need the follower to tilt in order to get the advertised capacity.

If you put a Magpul follower into an old Colt 20 rounder, you will no longer be able to fit 20 rounds into it.

Also, IME, I haven't noticed any malfunctions relating to a tilting follower in a straight bodied 20 rounder while I have seen them with the 30 rounders.  The old 20 rounders were designed with a tilting follower in mind (a straight mag with a slanted base kind of necessitates the follower tilting to fit under full compression).

I suppose this issue would be less drastic in a 5 round magazine but I'm willing to bet that's why nobody makes a 5 round magazine with an anti-tilt follower.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 3:59:54 AM EDT
[#16]
My AR Stoner 5 rounder has been very reliable thus far.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 8:17:31 AM EDT
[#17]
I got two ASC's and they are reliable every mag dump.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 8:24:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:53:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You don't want anti-tilt followers in any straight bodied magazine.  The curvature of most 30 round magazines account for the shape of stacked ammunition.  In a straight bodied magazine, you need the follower to tilt in order to get the advertised capacity.

If you put a Magpul follower into an old Colt 20 rounder, you will no longer be able to fit 20 rounds into it.

Also, IME, I haven't noticed any malfunctions relating to a tilting follower in a straight bodied 20 rounder while I have seen them with the 30 rounders.  The old 20 rounders were designed with a tilting follower in mind (a straight mag with a slanted base kind of necessitates the follower tilting to fit under full compression).

I suppose this issue would be less drastic in a 5 round magazine but I'm willing to bet that's why nobody makes a 5 round magazine with an anti-tilt follower.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd never thought of that.  Makes sense, thanks.  I learn something new every day.

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:53:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Double-tap.

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 6:15:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 6:17:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'd never thought of that.  Makes sense, thanks.  I learn something new every day.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No problem, man.  The day I stop learning shit is the day I die.  

Either way, you can't go wrong with the Bushy 5 rounders.  I've been stuck with them for hunting down here in FL on public land.  No malfunctions thus far.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:40:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 5:25:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Brownells has 5 and 10 round mags, their brand made on same machinery as their mil contract 30 rounders. http://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazines/ar15-m16-5-10-round-magazines-prod68723.aspx
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top