Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2014 3:00:38 AM EDT
IIRC I heard chrome silicon holds up better?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:01:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes it does, and considerably so.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:12:16 PM EDT
[#2]
You heard correctly, they hold up much better than stainless steel
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:01:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:32:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

To corrosion?  No, not as well.

While a good CS spring can potentially last more cycles than stainless steel, a good stainless spring will last sufficiently long enough.  For example, we use a USGI-spec stainless spring in our PMAGs and they will typically last many thousands of rounds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

To corrosion?  No, not as well.

While a good CS spring can potentially last more cycles than stainless steel, a good stainless spring will last sufficiently long enough.  For example, we use a USGI-spec stainless spring in our PMAGs and they will typically last many thousands of rounds.

So what is the military using today? I'm ordering GI mags and I have my choice.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:36:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Chrome-Silicon
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:34:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Milspec is SS.

CS lasts longer in terms of number of times you can compress/release before failure, at the cost being less corrosion resistant. I buy whatever is available at a good price and dont worry about it. Far more important that you get good mags than worry about the spring material.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:53:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Hi,

Each spring has its good and bad points, just a tip SS is just corrosion resistant, not rust proof.  I have CS springs in magazines still working dating back 40 some years.  I've also had SS springs fail in testing in as little as 30 cycles in shooting tests.  CS retains its strength much longer.

Best Regards:
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top