Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2014 6:09:25 PM EDT
I'm stocking up now. Have many m2. However, m2's are a lot cheaper than m3. A legs said the m3 have not been out long enough to be proven. Thoughts?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 6:17:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm stocking up now. Have many m2. However, m2's are a lot cheaper than m3. A legs said the m3 have not been out long enough to be proven. Thoughts?

Thanks
View Quote

I would post this in the industry forum asking Magpul as well. But the polymer they use or whatever the stuff is called is supposed to be much stronger than the m2.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 8:15:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw Magpul post once that the spines are much stronger in the M3 vs. M2.  I guess this would reduce the likliehood of cracking or splitting if dropped on their side?

I'm still rocking M2's and buying more.  They work for me.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 9:20:37 PM EDT
[#3]
m2s work just fine for me
i can deal without the extra cover that comes with the m3s

Link Posted: 6/14/2014 9:33:44 PM EDT
[#4]
M3's come with a cover.  They also look different.

I have heard that M2's have been known to fall out of rifles and that was fixed with M3's...

Can someone validate that statement?  If untrue, please let me know.

Bottom Line: People buy Pmags, many don't care what version.  I stock up on whatever is cheapest.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 10:20:41 PM EDT
[#5]
M3s work better in certain non AR-pattern rifles and supposedly have a stronger design.

M2s work fine in all in-spec lower receivers. I've had zero issues with PMAGs in five different lowers.

Whatever you buy, buy cheap and stack deep
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 2:41:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm almost certain both the m2 and m3 pmags use the same polymer, just the m3 has some physical design differences that make it stronger.  I personally still buy m2s and probably will until a deal comes along for m3s.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 4:45:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I have had issues with many m3 pmags. the feed lips spread.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 9:03:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 9:25:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I did a test that ran a year long and used the same 5 pmag m3's at the end of the test each mag had roughly 4,000 rounds through them and at this point they were pretty much worthless. The feed lips were so spread that when loaded the round below the top was poking up because the feedlips were no longer containing the rounds as they should, making it impossible to seat on a closed bolt. Also toward the end of the test I had numerous double feeds. I contacted magpul and they said they had never heard of this occuring but doing a little search on the net will show otherwise. I got rid of all my m3 and now have the m2 mags. I love the m2 mags though they are awsome.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 10:01:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I did a test that ran a year long and used the same 5 pmag m3's at the end of the test each mag had roughly 4,000 rounds through them and at this point they were pretty much worthless. The feed lips were so spread that when loaded the round below the top was poking up because the feedlips were no longer containing the rounds as they should, making it impossible to seat on a closed bolt. Also toward the end of the test I had numerous double feeds. I contacted magpul and they said they had never heard of this occuring but doing a little search on the net will show otherwise. I got rid of all my m3 and now have the m2 mags. I love the m2 mags though they are awsome.
View Quote

What you really need are Lancers...
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 12:46:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I would post this in the industry forum asking Magpul as well. But the polymer they use or whatever the stuff is called is supposed to be much stronger than the m2.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

Pretty sure Magpul stated they use the same updated polymers in gen 2 and 3 mags.

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 12:53:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:32:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought some M3 magazines a while back but then traded them for Generation M2 magazines because I have haveing feedlip spread issues.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 9:49:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Anything that I buy now mill be Gen M3
View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 10:31:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Get a mix of both.  I had Pmags of all generations.  I had around 20 of the M3 and around 40-50 M2's but they were all lost in a tragic boating accident in the Gulf of Mexico they were fully loaded so they did not float they sunk straight to the bottom.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 8:14:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Oh man that is a tragic story..I would be so pissed. Does anyone know why the m3 pmags tend to have weaker feed lips. Anybody that has put over 1000 rounds through one m3 magazine will know what i am talking about. I have an m2 mag that has around 5000 rounds or so and there has been no change in feed lip deminsions.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 12:07:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I have one M3 20 that came with my new colt. The rest of my mags are M3 30's. All have been flawless in operation. The only odd thing I have observed is with the 30's. When full, if you give the mag a couple of moderate shakes, the nose of the second round will pop up and be even with the top round. In this condition, the mag inserted fine on an open bolt, and self corrected to feed the top round. This is a bit disconcerting, I am going to pick up some M2's and see if there is a difference.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 12:12:00 PM EDT
[#18]
some of my rifles have a real tight fit with m2, so tight on some that they wont drop free unless fully loaded, the M3 pmags are a little thinner and fit perfect in all my rifles.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 12:55:41 PM EDT
[#19]
M3 have like a magwell stop on the back of the mag.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 1:21:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
M3 have like a magwell stop on the back of the mag.
View Quote

^^^ This.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 3:09:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:32:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:36:09 AM EDT
[#23]
You folks that claim to be having problems with magazines need to send them to Magpul for evaluation so corrections can be made if needed. The rest of us would appreciate it. We don't need any surprises or disappointments with our mags.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 10:19:04 AM EDT
[#24]
I only had problems with a magpul magazine one time, but it was one of the first Gen pmags. I sent it back because it was cracked at the top and they sent me a new replacement. Have yet to have any issues with the Gen 2 or 3 magazines.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 2:22:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Well boys, I would tend to think if you are shooting 20k plus a year, you should be pretty savvy on gear.   That said, Magpul has heard your pleas, and offered to make this right.   Time to make em look stupid guys!!!   Or plan B....which is not going to go well for you.    I'm betting on plan B here.   Maybe you guys could post up some pics of these unsightly pieces of garbage, for us to behold?
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 12:57:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Just a bump, waiting on pics of well out of spec feed lips.  I am sure I'm not alone, in wanting to see these, with rounds loaded, going all over the place.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 5:12:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Just a bump, waiting on pics of well out of spec feed lips.  I am sure I'm not alone, in wanting to see these, with rounds loaded, going all over the place.
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 2:24:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Same here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.

Glock, I am sure that we are about to be sadly dissapointed here.  Man, I guess I am not tactical enough to be able to fubar the 10 that I have been using for about 6 years now.  I guess they only have about 20K through them.  BTW, I have plenty of more.  I just tend to use stuff til it breaks.  Still waiting.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 7:55:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you were doing testing I'd have to imagine you would have had a camera on hand to provide additional documentation.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 11:43:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Same here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.

Ditto......
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 12:50:27 PM EDT
[#31]
i cant remember if it was g2 or g3 pmags but one was really tight in my brothers dpms pos and the other wouldnt fit at all. the one that fit tight wouldnt drop free either. i blame his pos dpms because they both work in my dozen ars of different makes. one thing i did notice is i cant snap the dust cover to the bottom of the g3 mags like i can with my g2
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 3:01:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Same here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.

Still waiting... C'mon fellas. Post up those pics. We all need to know if it's time to dump our M3 Pmags

Link Posted: 8/16/2014 10:28:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If you were doing testing I'd have to imagine you would have had a camera on hand to provide additional documentation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BAHAHAHAHAHA.....called the eff out....like a boss.  Right along with a bunch of other guys.  

Look, before people start accusing me of being a lover of all things Magpul, allow me to explain.  I am a lover of all things that freaking work.  As I started to think about it, I actually have about 25K through 10 Pmags, that I have had for about 5 or 6 years.  Zero problems is what they have given me.  I also have Lancers, and good USGI mags that are flawless as well.  

Bottom line guys, there are a couple of you here, that have made some pretty tall claims.  We aren't calling you liars, we just want you to put up, or STFU, and stop propogating BS rumors.  So until you are able to bring this to the table, shut your mouths while the adults are talking.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Glock, I am sure that we are about to be sadly dissapointed here.  Man, I guess I am not tactical enough to be able to fubar the 10 that I have been using for about 6 years now.  I guess they only have about 20K through them.  BTW, I have plenty of more.  I just tend to use stuff til it breaks.  Still waiting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.

Yep. I am prepared for
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 11:09:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 11:09:33 PM EDT
[#36]
see last post...........dpmmn
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top