Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/14/2014 8:22:53 PM EDT
When it comes to polymer mags, I've heard on a couple occasions that black polymer is more durable in the long term than other colors (FDE, Tan, etc.). Sound accurate?
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 5:01:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I've heard the same thing from tire manufacturers, sure the can make any color tire you want, blue red, smoke, even clear, but because of the low amount, or lack of black polymer, they won't last as long.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 5:31:48 PM EDT
[#2]
early magpul fde PMAGs had some problems but they've long since corrected it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 6:46:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Howdy:
As a noobie to these ploy lowers...for AR-15s for that matter How do the poly lowers hold up? If I go to the range every weekend and go through 500rds is this thing going to hold up? Will I be able to pass it on to my children?  I understand that its the same material as a Glock but how does it hold up as a rifle?

Any help would be appreciated

John
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 8:24:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Howdy:
As a noobie to these ploy lowers...for AR-15s for that matter How do the poly lowers hold up? If I go to the range every weekend and go through 500rds is this thing going to hold up? Will I be able to pass it on to my children?  I understand that its the same material as a Glock but how does it hold up as a rifle?

John
View Quote

Spend the money on aluminum and don't worry about longevity.  When you can find stripped AL lowers on sale for the same price as polymer lowers, why take the chance on a material that wasn't designed for the AR in the first place?

Plenty of threads in the AR discussions about this.  But the general consensus is buy the original aluminum.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 8:39:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Howdy:

John
View Quote

This guy bought a polymer lower during the gun grab last year.  Probably paid waaaay too much for it to add.  I was at the end of the line sighting in when I heard this hit the concrete at the range.  They asked to borrow my tools, when I went to retrieve them and leave this is what he had.  His first range trip with his first AR15.  It may have gone 3 or 4 shots before it came apart.  He let me take a few pics for future reference.  He told me the buffer tube came off while firing and thats what had fallen to the floor.

Link Posted: 2/18/2014 11:08:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
When it comes to polymer mags, I've heard on a couple occasions that black polymer is more durable in the long term than other colors (FDE, Tan, etc.). Sound accurate?
View Quote

A couple years ago, I was told by a senior magpul employee in a position to know, that for duty use only black mags should be used.

Whether or not that has changed, I have no idea.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 11:14:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Black or dark Plastic ( yeah, I know, I still call it plastic ) is engeneered to be the best possible or the best, the Company wants to have.

Transparent or bright plastic ingredients are not only Chosen, because they are the best, but they also have to be bright / translucent / clear / White.

For coloured plastic, a light base is Chosen and the desired colouring added.

So bright / clear / translucent / White / coloured Plastic ALWAYS has ingredients, where light colour is more important than best Quality

Take your pick.

Hermann

( I have, and like very much, my OD Green G 17 and OD green furniture ( partially Magpul ) on my AR 15 ;-))
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 11:16:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I have black and foliage green P mags.  I also prefer the foliage over the black magazines.   I notice no difference yet.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 12:17:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Black or dark Plastic ( yeah, I know, I still call it plastic ) is engeneered to be the best possible or the best, the Company wants to have.

Transparent or bright plastic ingredients are not only Chosen, because they are the best, but they also have to be bright / translucent / clear / White.

So bright / clear / translucent / White / coloured Plastic ALWAYS has ingredients, where light colour is more important than best Quality

Take your pick.

Hermann

( I have, and like very much, my OD Green G 17 and OD green furniture ( partially Magpul ) on my AR 15 ;-))
View Quote

Working as a production manager at Rubbermaid for years I would call BS.  The closer to clear you get the more brittle.  This is GD quality BS at best.

Link Posted: 2/22/2014 7:03:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a clear Kydex holster that I use for show. It had a clear belt clip until it cracked. I agree, the closer to clear the weaker it gets.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:03:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Magpul has said their colored magazines are weaker.

I was running all FDE mags, so I addressed the problem by switching to Lancer AWM's after seeing Rich make a post about it. Black is supposed to be stronger, but Lancer's clear plastic appears to be stronger than Magpul's black even.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:06:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Working as a production manager at Rubbermaid for years I would call BS.  The closer to clear you get the more brittle.  This is GD quality BS at best.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Take your pick.

Hermann

Odd. I have transparent Rubbermaid tupperware that I can almost crumple up into a ball and it's not brittpe at all. In fact, isn't non brittle plastic what your company even specializes in?
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 11:31:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Take your pick.

Hermann

Please READ my post.

The closer you get to translucent / bright, the worse the material ability gets ...

READ it!

( understand it )

Hermann
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 6:37:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Odd. I have transparent Rubbermaid tupperware that I can almost crumple up into a ball and it's not brittpe at all. In fact, isn't non brittle plastic what your company even specializes in?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Take your pick.

Hermann

Yes, and notice that we don't make clear industrial plastics.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 8:01:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Take your pick.

Hermann

So what do you know that companies like Steyr, HK, and Lancer don't know, since AWM's almost always come out ahead of all other AR magazines no matter what color or material?

No offense, but I trust my proven mags (and the company who developed them) more than the word of a factory worker.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 8:30:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Steyr are not clear and neither are Lancer.  I love my Lancer mags so won't argue about their quality - I hope long term they are shown to hold up. Time will tell and I REALLY hope it works for them.  There is a reason they are disproportionally priced over Pmags. The cost of the polymer they use has to be 3/4 the cost of the mag.

BTW, I was production manager, I had to sign off on resin changes and QC.  I wasn't just a lowly factory worker.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 3:00:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Does anyone have access to a mill and an instron machine?

Excise some specimens from mags of various colors and pull them to failure.  Then you will have your answer.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 3:15:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Steyr are not clear and neither are Lancer.  I love my Lancer mags so won't argue about their quality - I hope long term they are shown to hold up. Time will tell and I REALLY hope it works for them.  There is a reason they are disproportionally priced over Pmags. The cost of the polymer they use has to be 3/4 the cost of the mag.

BTW, I was production manager, I had to sign off on resin changes and QC.  I wasn't just a lowly factory worker.  
View Quote

Your exact words were "the closer you get to clear, the more brittle". AWM's are waaaaay closer to being clear than a black or FDE PMAG, so I'm kind of confused as to where you were leading to with that statement. Can you explain, as it would seem that Magpul would have to be using a significantly inferior plastic since an almost clear Lancer magazine is tougher.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 5:08:48 PM EDT
[#19]
While I like the lancer more than the PMag I think that us a heck of a bold leap.

I am giving my observations based on working in the industry. Neither of us know their resins so anything else would just be conjecture.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 6:46:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Your exact words were "the closer you get to clear, the more brittle". AWM's are waaaaay closer to being clear than a black or FDE PMAG, so I'm kind of confused as to where you were leading to with that statement. Can you explain, as it would seem that Magpul would have to be using a significantly inferior plastic since an almost clear Lancer magazine is tougher.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have to compare apples to apples.

If you take away the Lancer AWM wrap around steel feed lips and give it clear/smoke polymer feed lips made of the same material as that of the body of the Lancer AWM magazine I'm pretty sure it would fail before a Magpul PMAG of any color.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 9:26:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If you take away the Lancer AWM wrap around steel feed lips and give it clear/smoke polymer feed lips made of the same material as that of the body of the Lancer AWM magazine I'm pretty sure it would fail before a Magpul PMAG of any color.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Possibly correct, but the steel feed lip still doesn't explain the body being stronger against impact and tensile stress.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 3:20:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, but he is just debating a point into the ground for no reason.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 6:27:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Possibly correct, but the steel feed lip still doesn't explain the body being stronger against impact and tensile stress.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting, I don't think I have seen that comparison.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 10:28:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the point of the topic, is it not? You yourself made the comment that clear plastics were too brittle, and that disagreeing with that was GD style bullshit. You of course put your foot in your mouth after, and instead took it to a personal level to avoid continuing on with your invalid posts about comparing tupperware formulas to AR15 magazine formulas.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 10:36:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In one of the tests a PMAG gets a crack in the side of the body when ran over by a commercial truck. It was a Gen II though. That one guys test where he shot them with a shotgun also had the PMAG showing more damage than the AWM, though both were only aesthetic.

Realistically it likely makes no difference for anyone's use, but I have yet to hear of an AWM breaking in anyway. As you mentioned, realistic PMAG failures are centered around thr spine and feedlips.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top