Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
1/14/2017 8:11:35 PM
Posted: 1/5/2013 9:52:46 PM EST
I just bought a Colt Sporter that came with, what I thought were 20 round mags, turns out they are blocked to 5 rounds.
They are Colt mags.

Can these mags be modified to work as a 20 round mag?
And if so, how?

Thanks,
Leon
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 10:01:28 PM EST
Originally Posted By 1tinindian:
I just bought a Colt Sporter that came with, what I thought were 20 round mags, turns out they are blocked to 5 rounds.
They are Colt mags.

And if so, how?

Thanks,
Leon

Yes, they can be modified as they are regular 20 round mil-spec magazines. There's a rivet on the floor plate that needs to be removed (small, slow drill bit works) - after the rivet is removed, simply slide off the floor plate, remove the magazine limiter and reassemble. Bingo, you now have a functioning standard 20 round magazine.

Now the caveat - DO NOT DO THIS...the mags are highly desirable as hunting magazines and are also considered standard 5 round magazines in most states w/high-cap mag restrictions and are worth $$$$.

Don't fuck w/the mags...sell them and buy regular mags w/the proceeds.

my $0.02

Link Posted: 1/5/2013 10:11:44 PM EST
Originally Posted By Joe_Sakic:
They are Colt mags.

And if so, how?

Thanks,
Leon

Yes, they can be modified as they are regular 20 round mil-spec magazines. There's a rivet on the floor plate that needs to be removed (small, slow drill bit works) - after the rivet is removed, simply slide off the floor plate, remove the magazine limiter and reassemble. Bingo, you now have a functioning standard 20 round magazine.

Now the caveat - DO NOT DO THIS...the mags are highly desirable as hunting magazines and are also considered standard 5 round magazines in most states w/high-cap mag restrictions and are worth $$$$.

my $0.02

OK, thank you for this great advice.
If this was to be done, not saying it will be, would the spring be the same in this mag as a factory 20 round mag?

Leon

Link Posted: 1/5/2013 10:20:29 PM EST
They are Colt mags.

And if so, how?

Thanks,
Leon

my $0.02

If this was to be done, not saying it will be, would the spring be the same in this mag as a factory 20 round mag?

Leon

10-4 everything is identical w/the exception of the limiter installed in the mag. I actually have 2 factory 20/5 round mags that came w/my 6551 Colt Sporter that I will not sell...I've had multiple offers but, I'm keeping them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 10:45:55 PM EST
They are Colt mags.

And if so, how?

Thanks,
Leon

my $0.02

Leon

10-4 everything is identical w/the exception of the limiter installed in the mag. I actually have 2 factory 20/5 round mags that came w/my 6551 Colt Sporter that I will not sell...I've had multiple offers but, I'm keeping them.

I never realized that these 5 rounders would ever be of that much interest.
Thanks for the education.

Leon
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 3:43:42 AM EST

I never realized that these 5 rounders would ever be of that much interest.
Thanks for the education.

Leon

Me neither, I've modified some Colt 5 round mags in the past
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 4:34:49 PM EST
My Colt 5 round mag had a big U-shaped spacer inside . I removed it , I don't remember it being riveted.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:24:11 PM EST
These are the spacers used.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:40:52 PM EST

Wow this thread came at the right time.

I was about to de-rivet many
5 round magazines this weekend.

Thanks for the enlightenment guys.

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 7:08:01 PM EST
My 5 round Colt is 5 round size...
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 8:20:20 PM EST
They are Colt mags.

And if so, how?

Thanks,
Leon

my $0.02

This, sell to our friends in NY.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 8:50:57 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 9:47:53 PM EST
My Colt AR-15 SP1's that I bought in 1968 and 1970 came with 20-round magazines that were blocked to 5 rounds, but the spacers were not riveted. (The riveting came later.) Somewhere I have a box with about a dozen of the spacers. (As I recall, the Armalite AR-180's came with the same spacers.)
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 9:21:53 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/21/2013 9:24:05 PM EST by m62-m76]
I have 3 Mint Colt AR15 Factory 5 rounders, don't need them anymore.
Thinkin' about putting them up for sale.
Was gonna trade them to someone in NY, but my thread got locked.
Top Top