Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2017 10:32:42 PM EDT
We've shot this in a bolt gun (Howa 1500) and case extraction was sticky.  Noticed that the primers were slightly flattened.

After waiting forever, our LGS got some in and I bought some to try in my semi-auto.

I shot twenty rounds this afternoon (22" Kreiger) and got some incredible accuracy at 300yds.  Velocity was obviously much higher than the 140 ELDM.  I had 1 popped primer and 9 flattened primers.

Anybody else seeing this?

ETA: Shot another box with different lot number.  No pressure signs from any of the rounds.  First box may have been an anomoly.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:04:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
We've shot this in a bolt gun (Howa 1500) and case extraction was sticky.  Noticed that the primers were slightly flattened.

After waiting forever, our LGS got some in and I bought some to try in my semi-auto.

I shot twenty rounds this afternoon (22" Kreiger) and got some incredible accuracy at 300yds.  Velocity was obviously much higher than the 140 ELDM.  I had 1 popped primer and 9 flattened primers.

Anybody else seeing this?
View Quote

Any possibility of temperature issues?  Hot day, ammo in the sun, ammo in a hot chamber?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:48:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Any possibility of temperature issues?  Hot day, ammo in the sun, ammo in a hot chamber?
View Quote
It was ~95 degrees and I did let the barrel get warm.  

I'm going to give it another shot this afternoon and see what happens.  It was very accurate (less than .5MOA on a couple groups) so I'd like to keep shooting it, but not at the expense of a KB.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:14:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'm going to give it another shot this afternoon and see what happens.  It was very accurate (less than .5MOA on a couple groups) so I'd like to keep shooting it, but not at the expense of a KB.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I popped several primers in my .260 gas gun with the FGMM.  It's loaded towards the high end and designed for a bolt gun.  Shooting it in my gasser at 85-95*, and with a hot chamber, was just no Bueno, and that was also with a +2 gas system.  I shot Prime and FGMM in the gasser and both were at the top end.  I moved to a 130gr Hornady ELD-M and had great results with no signs of pressure.  Not sure what you can get with Hornady 6.5CM in the 130g class though.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:40:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:40:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
i'd love to see some velocity speeds posted of them
View Quote
My buddy owns a chrono, but I don't.  I won't make it to his place this weekend, but maybe next.

They are moving quickly.  Enough to tell the difference at 315yds.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:43:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:45:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I popped several primers in my .260 gas gun with the FGMM.  It's loaded towards the high end and designed for a bolt gun.  Shooting it in my gasser at 85-95*, and with a hot chamber, was just no Bueno, and that was also with a +2 gas system.  I shot Prime and FGMM in the gasser and both were at the top end.  I moved to a 130gr Hornady ELD-M and had great results with no signs of pressure.  Not sure what you can get with Hornady 6.5CM in the 130g class though.
View Quote
I'll try taking the gas down a notch this afternoon.

If I can't get the FGMM to work, the 140gr ELDM seem to shoot well too.  I was just impressed with the fgmm groups.  I'm not that great of a shot (always learning), but I had 2 sub .5MOA groups at 315 yards.  That's something I'd like to repeat.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:48:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
i had purchased hornady superperformance ammo for my 308 178.... having the same issue you are.

i emailed velocity speeds to Hornady and they sent a RMA form to send all the ammo back and they shipped my replacement ammo.
View Quote
It doesn't surprise me as much with the superperformance rounds.  I've actually read of similar issues.

The FGMM is normally a powderpuff round out of my 223 rifles.  I expected something similar with the creedmoor variety.  Certainly didn't expect over pressure signs.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:52:58 AM EDT
[#9]
A few pictures.  Maybe they'll help.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top