Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2017 12:22:48 PM EDT
Hey guys, I've been researching various 300 blackout rounds and sub vs. super sonic for self defense, the 194 grain Lehigh maximum expansion has really caught my eye. Would appreciate some opinions on the subjects, different rounds I should look into and the like.Thx in advance.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:46:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey guys, I've been researching various 300 blackout rounds and sub vs. super sonic for self defense, the 194 grain Lehigh maximum expansion has really caught my eye. Would appreciate some opinions on the subjects, different rounds I should look into and the like.Thx in advance.
View Quote

As a sub load for SD, you won't find much better than the 194gr Lehigh at this point.--No first hand experience, only what I've read and seen. Their 115gr super load is very good as well, on par with what I consider the standard to compare other bullets to (Barnes 110gr TAC-TX).

Another option for subs that is VERY accurate is the Hornady custom 208gr AMAX. I consistently get MOA accuracy from this load in three different BLK guns. It won't expand like the 194gr Lehigh though.

For plinking, I use Magtech 123gr FMJ.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:05:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

On paper it looks great. Pretty damn good in the few ballistic testing too. Too bad they are so many expensive.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:12:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't want to be shot with anything from them.

Seriously, really I wouldn't.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:46:01 PM EDT
[#4]
While I think Lehigh does produces some gimmicky stuff like their extreme penetrator/defender pistol loads, from what Ive seen and tested myself, their 194g ME and 115CC are the real deal.

The expansion with the ME is wicked and you don't suffer much in the way of penetration loss either.

I shot some water jugs with a buddy of mine who is an ER nurse. When he saw the recovered round, his words..."Holy ****, that would be hard to fix."
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:28:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the  replies so far. Yes I have looked at the 115g super round as well and I like it, I just am at a lost as to do I want sub or super as my main round and what I sight in with. Still researching but don't think switching back and forth is the way to go.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:10:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Just get a TA-33 with the Blackout reticle. Zero your supers on the crosshair and subs on the dots below. It's not exact, but close enough not to matter
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:32:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the  replies so far. Yes I have looked at the 115g super round as well and I like it, I just am at a lost as to do I want sub or super as my main round and what I sight in with. Still researching but don't think switching back and forth is the way to go.
View Quote
For HD, my 8" is loaded with 20rnds of the 115g CC and topped off with the 194g ME. My spare mag is loaded with all 110g Barnes tac-tx.

I figure that if the first few subs aren't enough, then hearing safe is my least concern.

Gun is sighted in with supers at 15yrds, about the most distance I'd expect in and around my home, and the poi wouldn't be that much of a difference between the subs and supers.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:08:53 PM EDT
[#8]
It seems good but Id orobably choose 115gr controlled chaos personally
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:26:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I have spent over $100 in just bullets testing the 194gr Lehigh defense. I have run them through drywall, phone books, plywood, clothing and they penetrate perfectly right up until they hit something wet then they expand violently. This means it will penetrate thick jackets or small barriers and not expand and lose their energy until they hit flesh. I spent a lot of time verifying their reliability and their capability and this is what I now use for home defense. They are by no means cheap but you get what you pay for if you need something that will cause a lot of damage and not overpenetrate once you hit your target.

photo sharing
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 1:49:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have spent over $100 in just bullets testing the 194gr Lehigh defense. I have run them through drywall, phone books, plywood, clothing and they penetrate perfectly right up until they hit something wet then they expand violently. This means it will penetrate thick jackets or small barriers and not expand and lose their energy until they hit flesh. I spent a lot of time verifying their reliability and their capability and this is what I now use for home defense. They are by no means cheap but you get what you pay for if you need something that will cause a lot of damage and not overpenetrate once you hit your target.

https://preview.ibb.co/dUwuBk/lehigh_vs_9mm.jpg
photo sharing
View Quote
Did you load that yourself or is that a LD cartridge?

I'm curious about long term storage of their cartridge.  I know Beck's is one of their affiliated vendors too.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 5:07:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Did you load that yourself or is that a LD cartridge?

I'm curious about long term storage of their cartridge.  I know Beck's is one of their affiliated vendors too.
View Quote
Self loaded.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 2:40:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I wold sure take a look at the Nosler 220 grain Round Nose boat tail before buying a copper bullet.  

https://www.nosler.com/blog/news-and-articles/2017/1/18/nosler-ballistic-tip-line-now-includes-unique-sub-sonic-offering
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 11:38:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I wold sure take a look at the Nosler 220 grain Round Nose boat tail before buying a copper bullet.  

https://www.nosler.com/blog/news-and-articles/2017/1/18/nosler-ballistic-tip-line-now-includes-unique-sub-sonic-offering
View Quote
I have to ask.....

Why?
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 10:34:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Terminal effectivness only? Supersonic, no question.

Supersonic barrier blind? 110 TAC- TX, no question.

Subsonic, suppressed, 100 yard max range?
Lehigh Defense maximum expansion, no question.

If you won't do any subs/suppressed and barrier blind is not what you want for self defense, I would suggest 300 blackout might be the wrong caliber choice.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top