Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/9/2017 8:25:07 PM EDT
So, today I was shooting some new ammo from freedom munitions and a round with a different stamp on the case was in the mix. Anyways, I pulled the trigger and no bang. The round stuck in the chamber and I had to bang the charging handle to extract the round. When it came out, the primer was partially blown and the bullet never left the case. Any thoughts as to what caused this?

Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:34:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Photobucket has stopped let its users post to websites unless the photobucket account is a "paid" account.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:45:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Is there a similar photo sharing site that may be used which does not charge?
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:13:40 PM EDT
[#3]
imgur

As to what caused it, short answer, Freedumb Munitions.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:47:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I deleted my photobucket account after that, so far been trying out postimg.org. So far good except for file size limits. (+5 MB?)

Freedom Munitions is garbage, the last box I shot up had 5 primers completely pop off, getting stuck underneath my trigger group causing me to punch the pins out to get the stupid little primer out. Many of the rounds felt like proof loads when fired them. I also had many improperly crimped rounds, the bullet itself getting set back way too deep into the casing as it hits the feed ramp.

I'll never buy that trash again. As much as people rag on Tula, and yes I consider it the lowest of the steel cased brands (and I despise polymer coating), it goes off every single time for me. And its much cheaper too. I can't believe how jacked up FM's prices are now too, especially their reman ammo.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 7:43:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, I emailed them and they want the rest of the ammo back for inspection as well as the damaged round. The customer service seems decent but I have a hard time getting behind a bad product even if the service is good. I had only heard good things about FM before recently. Hopefully it's just a few batches as the prices are decent. As for Tula, I don't believe the range I go to allows it, otherwise the price is right and I have had good experiences with it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 7:59:51 PM EDT
[#6]
For some reason I was able to see your pictures despite Photobucket.

NO THAT IS NOT NORMAL.
The torn rim to get it out, the primer either falling out or being forced out under pressure is all bad.

What caused it?
Bad reloaded ammunition....................

Poorly sized cases caused the case to get stuck.

Either the primer was improperly seated or the flash hole obstructed.  

This is like the 3-5th thread over their bad ammo....................
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:09:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I used to think FM was good to go as well, didn't believe all the negative stories about them here and other places online until I had those issues myself. I bought two 500rd cases of 55gr reman ammo and one 50rd box of 69gr match  from them back in 2012, so no doubt it was made during the panic. I shot up the first case without issue after I came back from deployment early 2013. A few years later in 2016, after escaping CA I decided to shoot the second case when I had all those issues. I never emailed them as I tend to shoot all the ammo I bring with me whenever I go out to the desert and too many people complained about their lack of customer service. Looking back I should have stopped shooting that garbage as soon as I had the bullet setbacks or had the first popped primer, good thing I didn't get a squib or kaboom.

With Walmarts continued sale on Tula ammo and overall lower prices on factory new ammo I don't see a reason to mess with any re manufactured ammo these days. I've been stockpiling Wolf Gold and using Brown Bear and some Tula for training/fun. Now looking to buy Barnaul Mil-Spec 223 from SGAmmo soon to try out as I am a big fan of lacquered and sealed steel case ammo.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:36:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I think somehow a poorly reloaded round got into the mix of "new" as the problem round is stamped Hornady and not IVI as their new cases are stamped. I know this was in with the new stuff because that's all I brought to the range that day. It's disappointing to read all these negatives. I think I will switch to a different brand before something catastrophic happens either to my firearms,myself or a fellow shooter.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 3:31:34 PM EDT
[#9]
No bang at all, the primer didn't go off?
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 11:23:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 12:03:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I cannot believe that that primer came out that far.

It looks to me like the case had way too much headspace.

There is no way the bolt should have let that primer stick out that far.

I believe either the bolt was partially open and you got very lucky by the case not being charged with powder, or your rifle has excessive headspace.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:41:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Yea, the case damage is from the extractor. I wanted to take the round apart and check it out myself however FM wanted it back to look at it. I did check the headspace after the rifle was built which was only about 3,000 rounds ago. Before I shoot the rifle again, I will check the headspace again. When I pulled the trigger, there was no bang that was noticeable. Just the sound of the hammer dropping. However, there may have been a small bang as I do not have the best hearing to begin with and I was wearing hearing protection. I am fairly certain the primer did in fact go off and that's what cased it to push out. As I load my magazines, I quickly examine the rounds and I believe I would have noticed the pushed out primer had it been that way prior to firing.

I am by no means an expert, but what seems possible is that the round chambered, primer went off and for whatever reason bullet did not leave the case. The primer pushed back but the extractor had a hold on the round and so the bolt did not turn and caused a cam effect within the chamber, thus causing a jam. (These are my thoughts based off of too much free time to think, not necessarily any firearms expertise)
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:27:18 AM EDT
[#13]
It's possible that the primer went off, and it caused pressure inside the case.  This pressure remained, and once the bolt opened and made room, the pressure pushed the primer back out of the case.

Don't take more trash ammo from Freedumb.  Make them give you your money back.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top