Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2017 6:06:24 PM EDT
are the Marines going to continue using this round?...since the m855a1 round is causing so much commotion.  

i still see production year 2016 ammo available, although it seems to be drying up. just wondering if the civi market will continue to see this ammo.

will the Marines switch over to 855a1?
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 7:18:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
are the Marines going to continue using this round?...since the m855a1 round is causing so much commotion.  

i still see production year 2016 ammo available, although it seems to be drying up. just wondering if the civi market will continue to see this ammo.

View Quote

Both rounds are made by ATK.
Yes, inevitably, the USMC will switch, is my opinion.
M855A1 is never going to hit the civ market in any real number.
MK318 is a darn good "do anything" round. I am not sure what contracts exist for it outside of USASOC and USMC.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 8:26:45 PM EDT
[#2]
You may have read this already, but I came across it the other day.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/06/07/usmc-m855a1/
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 9:11:38 PM EDT
[#3]
The 855A1 is a "green round", so it has a Tim Allen Turbo Defibrillator attached to it.
It does show decent performance in independent testing, when you find it, and that is something the M855 never did. Well, unless you asked the Army. They were brutal to any opposing opinions. We hated it, the Army guys hated it, the Marines went out and found their own ammo over it, and Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines have loathed it since the 1980's.

The A1 will probably be the issued round across the military, which would make since, but it needs to work, and take the BG's out of the fight in a hurry. Something that we have been lacking since the M193, which was abandoned in part because it was "too" lethal. That is something someone who isn't in a fight says.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 12:22:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

MK318 is a darn good "do anything" round. I am not sure what contracts exist for it outside of USASOC and USMC.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks. always appreciate your info.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 1:45:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

who has 2016 production Mk318?
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 2:59:31 AM EDT
[#6]
There are suitable alternatives. Money no object? Try TSX in hot loads. Prefer something more affordable? FusionMSR.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 1:46:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i bought 500 rounds from target sports in february this year that has FC 16 on the head stamp.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:28:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I really like the Mk 318 round. I bought 100 rounds with a 2014 headstamp and got crappy accuracy(2 to 3 inches out of a 11.5 inch SBR at 50 yards) as well as 2 FTE(eject)and a round that had no powder in it. What made me buy a 500 round case this year I don't know but I'm glad I did, it's 2016 headstamped and gets just as good of groups as IMI 77 grain razorcore( 1 inch or less at 50 yard out of SBR). I hope they keep selling  it if the USMC moves away from it and adopts the M855A1.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:34:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I really like the Mk 318 round. I bought 100 rounds with a 2014 headstamp and got crappy accuracy(2 to 3 inches out of a 11.5 inch SBR at 50 yards) as well as 2 FTE(eject)and a round that had no powder in it. What made me buy a 500 round case this year I don't know but I'm glad I did, it's 2016 headstamped and gets just as good of groups as IMI 77 grain razorcore( 1 inch or less at 50 yard out of SBR). I hope they keep selling  it if the USMC moves away from it and adopts the M855A1.
View Quote

i have had mixed reaults with accuracy with various barrels. i have some of both lots of this too, shot about 300 rnds of the 2014 and havent had any of those problems. thats disturbing.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:23:50 PM EDT
[#10]
No problem from 16 and two 20inch rifles for me.  Ive shot brown and white box w 2014 head stamps and newer 2016 which was most accurate of three lots.  

It is a do anything round, which is good and accurate quote/observation. And much faster than Fusion MSR.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:36:51 AM EDT
[#11]
I wish I could have found some factory ammo to try out. I bought around 500 pulls last year. Need to work a load for them and try them out.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top