Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2017 11:58:58 AM EDT
I just got the Strelok app and am playing around with it. I understand that no one is probably using it to precisely shoot Wolf Gold (thus it's not in their database), but can someone humor me confirm or correct the data I'm using for the load?

Bullet length: .745"
Bullet diameter: .224"
Bullet weight: 55gr
Ballistic coefficient: .243

Bullet speed: 3080 fps (I'm guessing here based on other published numbers. I'm shooting this from a 14.5", 1:8 twist barrel. Sound reasonable?)

~~~~~~~~~~

With a max trajectory height of 2", it's giving me a MPBR of 245 yards with a recommended zero of 211 yards (trajectory height at 100 yards = 1.7"). That drop of 2" in 34 yards sounds kind of extreme, but I'm just starting to try to understand ballistics, so maybe it's fine. Does that look ok?
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:09:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:17:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Chrono says I get 2850fps out of my 14.5 barrels with Hornady 55gr reloads and I get 0.7" high at 34 yards with a 200 yard zero.

I think wolf gold is loaded to xm193 specs so it's a bit hotter. But I've never used it so putting it on chronograph would be your best bet.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 1:07:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't have access (right now...) to a chrono, so I'm mostly just guessing. I'm planning to get into some longer distance shooting (picking up my first bolt gun in 6.5 Creed this week! Thus the foray into Strelok...), so I suppose I'll have to buy one before long.

For now, I'm just guessing. I think I'm going to run with 2950 fps as that seems to be a reasonable number based on you two nice strangers on the internet.

I guess the other thing that I'm curious about is: Does that drop rate sound correct? A 2" drop in just over 30 yards seems more extreme than what I would have guessed.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 2:17:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, doesn't sound right. Check your height over bore to see if it's set to 2.7 or 2.6 inches for starters. Your other numbers look about right, although I zero at 200 yards.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 3:11:28 PM EDT
[#5]
It isn't a 2" drop, you have to consider scope height over bore....the bullet is rising.

Have you entered the scope height correctly?
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top