Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2017 12:21:34 AM EDT
Trying out the new primary arms 1x8 and I really like it. I'm hoping someone with much better ballistics knowledge than me can help. So the instructions for the scope explain how to zero the scope per the ammo you are using to allow the Ava's rectified to give correct holdovers. It lists M855 62 Gr, M193 55 gr, and various other .223s. Here is the chart.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91SBY9XN1BS.pdf

My gun (16" 1/8)loves federal LE sierra match 55 gr at 100 yards and I have my zero set there. My question is, going off of the chart, how high should 5.56 69 grain black hills print at 100 yards? I'm roughly at 200 ft above sea level.

How high should Winchester 223 69 matchking hbpt print?

Is there an easy way to figure this out for different ammo I may try?
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 1:31:31 AM EDT
[#1]
The only way to know is to shoot it and track your data.

Different loads will group differently, and calculating any amount of extra "drop" between the loads you listed is going to be negligible at 100yds, compared to how they actually group on paper. (Barrel characteristics plus a dozen other things. That difference will stay consistent until usually 500-600yds when the bullets really start to lose energy and much different rates, and you'll need to go off previously recorded data.

IE, my scoped AR will drill the center at 100yds with 77gr, and 55gr groups great, but about 1.5"-2" high-right, 2-o'clock. That just has to do with your barrel, the bullet, and a little voodoo. On paper, there's no reason for the height difference, but it's a repeatable behavior between those two loads.

Try to get a hold of a manual for that reticle that shows the distance stadia lines in MOA versus just the straight distances. That is going to make your life easier when you are initially getting an idea of where your rounds will actually hit compared to what stadia line you are using.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:34:26 AM EDT
[#2]
OP, get your velocity and BC for each bullet / ammo. Download Strelock app on your phone and input it there. When you go into the settings, there's about 700 reticles to choose from. The ACSS is in there. You can enter your yardage and the app will show you the exact hold you need. It will also show you the yardage that each stadia line represents according to the data you input.

It will change the data as you look at the scope through the magnification range since on a SFP scope the reticle stays the same size but the target gets smaller or larger. On a FFP scope the yardage will always be the same at any power.

Anyway, input the data, and then go out and shoot to confirm. If there's a difference, you need to adjust the BC a tad one way or the other. Sometimes the advertised BC is higher than real world BC. The other thing you want to do is to let it use your location to use weather and elevation for calculations.

It will give you a trajectory chart and a trajectory table ( also windage ).

It's an excellent app, and nearly dead nuts accurate in the real world with initial inputs.

I used to use Sean Kinndy's Shooter app, but Strelok is now just as good, if not better unless you want a ton of data linking type stuff, and some of that you can do with the Strelok. You can hook it to a Kestrel meter if you have one too.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:41:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only way to know is to shoot it and track your data.

Different loads will group differently, and calculating any amount of extra "drop" between the loads you listed is going to be negligible at 100yds, compared to how they actually group on paper. (Barrel characteristics plus a dozen other things. That difference will stay consistent until usually 500-600yds when the bullets really start to lose energy and much different rates, and you'll need to go off previously recorded data.

IE, my scoped AR will drill the center at 100yds with 77gr, and 55gr groups great, but about 1.5"-2" high-right, 2-o'clock. That just has to do with your barrel, the bullet, and a little voodoo. On paper, there's no reason for the height difference, but it's a repeatable behavior between those two loads.

Try to get a hold of a manual for that reticle that shows the distance stadia lines in MOA versus just the straight distances. That is going to make your life easier when you are initially getting an idea of where your rounds will actually hit compared to what stadia line you are using.
View Quote
There is a reason for it, if your zero isn't 100 yards. The 55gr , while having a lower BC, has a much higher velocity. If you zero at 50 / 200 yards for instance, and use the 77gr for the zero, the 55gr will shoot high, because it's velocity is high enough that it will rise to its midpoint trajectory faster than the 77gr. It will shoot flatter than the 77gr out to about 300 yards or so, but the 77gr will have less drop beyond that. At 100, the 77gr hasn't gotten as close to its midpoint as the 55gr. has to its.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 4:56:53 AM EDT
[#4]
My point was at 100yds, the grouping difference in loads for that specific barrel will be the more pronounced shift than the 3/4" elevation difference on paper when working the data between 55gr and 77gr.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top