Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2017 12:36:02 PM EDT
Hope this isn't a stupid question...would 75gr SPGD be good for hunting white tail at 50-100 ranges?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:45:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes
I use the 64 grain, and have taken whitetail and hogs with 55 grain.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:57:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes
I use the 64 grain, and have taken whitetail and hogs with 55 grain.
View Quote
Good to know!  It's a lot cheaper than the "hunting" ammo.

I have a bunch of 64gr, so maybe I won't worry about grabbing the 75.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:03:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Like any ammo its all about shot placement.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:13:22 PM EDT
[#4]
75 gold dots are good to go, but as stated the 64 GD or 62 fusion are usually more popular.

I use 62 fusions myself because I got a great deal on some to reload, but they're very similar to the GD's. I've been very happy with performance on hogs.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:29:24 PM EDT
[#5]
If you already have the 64gr then I wouldn't worry getting anything different. It is a solid performer.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:48:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:50:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The 75gr has deeper penetration than the 64gr.

Many people have downed critters with the 64gr ...prior to the 75gr's existence.
View Quote
Deeper penetration and the ability to punch through heavier bones since the 75gr GD was designed to punch through auto glass better. Unless you are planning on hunting larger game you are probably ok with the 64gr. I prefer the 75gr since I live in bear territory and the increased penetration and barrier performance maybe of some benefit.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:50:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like I'm good with the 64...which is good, because I really don't want to go through the hassle of switching out!
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:33:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I like Gold Dot ammo.  But, for the best combination of velocity, flat trajectory, rapid expansion and deep penetration, bone breaking capability and a blood trail exit wound, if needed, the answer is Barnes 62 or 70 grain TSX.  The 62 TSX is my favorite for whitetail.  You can deliberately aim for the shoulder and know it will expand, break bone, raise unmitigated hell with the lungs and heart, hold together, and leave an exit wound.  Usually dead right there at ethical 5.56 distances.  Yes, it costs more, but how many rounds are you really going to shoot at live game in an entire hunting season?  The bullet is the least expensive thing you will have on a hunt and just about the most important.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:39:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I like Gold Dot ammo.  But, for the best combination of velocity, flat trajectory, rapid expansion and deep penetration, bone breaking capability and a blood trail exit wound, if needed, the answer is Barnes 62 or 70 grain TSX.  The 62 TSX is my favorite for whitetail.  You can deliberately aim for the shoulder and know it will expand, break bone, raise unmitigated hell with the lungs and heart, hold together, and leave an exit wound.  Usually dead right there at ethical 5.56 distances.  Yes, it costs more, but how many rounds are you really going to shoot at live game in an entire hunting season?  The bullet is the least expensive thing you will have on a hunt and just about the most important.
View Quote
Wounds from the 75gr GDSP as well as amount of blood all over the place was superior to the 70gr Browntip at least in the animals my friends and I have shot with both.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:07:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have a couple boxes each of 64 (maybe it's 62) and 70 grain Barnes VOR-TX lead free ammo I bought for hunting a year ago.  At $19.99-$22.99/box I wasn't a big fan of buying a lot, but got those on a rebate of $5/box.  Since Gold Dot 64 & 75 gr was so much cheaper, I figured I'd see if it was good enough.  Thanks for the feedback on this.  Good point that I won't be stacking a ton if rounds deep for hunting...I can get 3 boxes of the stuff for less than my license and tag!
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 4:23:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Wounds from the 75gr GDSP as well as amount of blood all over the place was superior to the 70gr Browntip at least in the animals my friends and I have shot with both.
View Quote
That was my experience as well, except with 64gr.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 11:28:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I've been killing hogs of all sizes with Speer Gold Dot 64 gr out of my AR rifle and carbine on my property with great effect.
It gives adequate penetration and adequate energy for any shot you'll take on hogs.  I keep 10-20 boxes in my ammo locker at all times.
It also gives very good to excellent accuracy out of my 1-7" barrels.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 1:15:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hope this isn't a stupid question...would 75gr SPGD be good for hunting white tail at 50-100 ranges?
View Quote

OP,
   It is always a good idea to ask a question about something you are not yet up to speed on. The .223 pressure 75GR. GD load is an LE load by design. But it will work well for hunting especially if you are using a 14.5" or longer barrel. Because of the relatively low MV of this .223 pressure load as compared to a heavy weight 5.56MM hunting load, keeping the range short as you have indicated will keep the bullet in its expansion envelope. I normally keep a 10" M4 in my 4WD for SD/HD/hunting so the MV of the .223 75GR. GD load is not very high. But the 75GR. GD bullet itself is an accurate,  top shelf bonded bullet. SPEER used to manufacture a couple of 5.56MM pressure GD loads for LE. But they were discontinued when LE started complaining about pressure problems in the less expensive non-5.56MM mil-spec chamber rifles purchased by the bean counters in order to stay within their limited budget. Hunters would very much like to see SPEER reintroduce their 5.56MM pressure loads especially with the 75GR. GD bullet. But with LE being the target market of the GD ammunition line, I would think that there is little chance that will happen. Last time I saw the data, the average LE shooting event with a rifle was under 100yds. I have also loaded pulled 75GR. Gold Dot bullets to 5.56MM NATO pressure and was very impressed. I prefer to use 5.56MM pressure ammunition for hunting wherever I can for the added terminal performance & extended range for expansion when needed. There are not many knowledgeable people out there who would argue that a 5.56MM load is too powerful for hunting. And I am always looking for better loads. IMO, a 5.56MM 75GR. Gold Dot load would compare favorably with any 5.56MM hunting load I have used even in my 10" truck gun. Below are chrono measurements from several different 1x7 twist barrel lengths. HTH.

Factory SPEER .223 75GR. Gold Dot/5.56MM NATO pressure 75GR. Gold Dot "Mex-Match" handload chrono'd thru Colt 1x7 barrels: 80F/300FT. MSL/29.92"

10.3": 2170 FPS/2387 FPS
14.5": 2389 FPS/2565 FPS
20"--: 2592 FPS/2770 FPS
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 5:07:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

OP,
   It is always a good idea to ask a question about something you are not yet up to speed on. The .223 pressure 75GR. GD load is an LE load by design. But it will work well for hunting especially if you are using a 14.5" or longer barrel. Because of the relatively low MV of this .223 pressure load as compared to a heavy weight 5.56MM hunting load, keeping the range short as you have indicated will keep the bullet in its expansion envelope. I normally keep a 10" M4 in my 4WD for SD/HD/hunting so the MV of the .223 75GR. GD load is not very high. But the 75GR. GD bullet itself is an accurate,  top shelf bonded bullet. SPEER used to manufacture a couple of 5.56MM pressure GD loads for LE. But they were discontinued when LE started complaining about pressure problems in the less expensive non-5.56MM mil-spec chamber rifles purchased by the bean counters in order to stay within their limited budget. Hunters would very much like to see SPEER reintroduce their 5.56MM pressure loads especially with the 75GR. GD bullet. But with LE being the target market of the GD ammunition line, I would think that there is little chance that will happen. Last time I saw the data, the average LE shooting event with a rifle was under 100yds. I have also loaded pulled 75GR. Gold Dot bullets to 5.56MM NATO pressure and was very impressed. I prefer to use 5.56MM pressure ammunition for hunting wherever I can for the added terminal performance & extended range for expansion when needed. There are not many knowledgeable people out there who would argue that a 5.56MM load is too powerful for hunting. And I am always looking for better loads. IMO, a 5.56MM 75GR. Gold Dot load would compare favorably with any 5.56MM hunting load I have used even in my 10" truck gun. Below are chrono measurements from several different 1x7 twist barrel lengths. HTH.

Factory SPEER .223 75GR. Gold Dot/5.56MM NATO pressure 75GR. Gold Dot "Mex-Match" handload chrono'd thru Colt 1x7 barrels: 80F/300FT. MSL/29.92"

10.3": 2170 FPS/2387 FPS
14.5": 2389 FPS/2565 FPS
20"--: 2592 FPS/2770 FPS
View Quote
Thank you leid!

Any info on the 64gr out of a 10.5"?  I ended up buying more of the 64gr and figured I could use it for HD/SD/hunting also out of the 10.5".

Also, do you know how this ammo does suppressed?
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 6:48:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thank you leid!

Any info on the 64gr out of a 10.5"?  I ended up buying more of the 64gr and figured I could use it for HD/SD/hunting also out of the 10.5".

Also, do you know how this ammo does suppressed?
View Quote
OP,
    The 64GR. GD bullet is also a winner, no sweat. A suppressed 10.5" firing the factory .223 pressure 64GR. GD load will work well as long as you limit your range. I picked up a 1000 64GR. GD bullets to load up to 5.56MM pressure for popping varmints/coyotes/pigs/beavers/etc. with the suppressed 10" M4 at night when the range tends to be shorter. But lighter bullets are a bit of a trade-off for SD/HD/hunting. By that I mean that they yield a small increase in short range terminal performance but slow down more rapidly because of the lower bullet weight. This can reduce the range at which the bullet will expand. That is the reason I gravitate towards heavier bullets for hunting. And the heavier bullet tend to yield deeper penetration which I might need on a raking shot on a large whitetail or boar. We have extremely thick undergrowth in most of the area where I hunt so most shots are less than 100yds. But in a few areas & on the straight trails/private roads, I might be able to shoot out to the maximum range at which I can correctly judge antler size. Longest range at which I have done that is 400yds. which is really stretching the envelope for even the best 5.56MM hunting loads from a 16" barrel. The 20" & longer barrels can reach out even further because of the velocity increase.  A can (suppressor) will add approx. 30 FPS to any given load. And as long as it is installed properly, the can should also tighten group size. I rarely hunt/shoot without a can nowadays. Hopefully, President Trump will be able to get suppressors reclassified as Title 1 (non-NFA) weapons which can be sold over the counter after the normal NICS background check.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 10:52:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

OP,
    The 64GR. GD bullet is also a winner, no sweat. A suppressed 10.5" firing the factory .223 pressure 64GR. GD load will work well as long as you limit your range. I picked up a 1000 64GR. GD bullets to load up to 5.56MM pressure for popping varmints/coyotes/pigs/beavers/etc. with the suppressed 10" M4 at night when the range tends to be shorter. But lighter bullets are a bit of a trade-off for SD/HD/hunting. By that I mean that they yield a small increase in short range terminal performance but slow down more rapidly because of the lower bullet weight. This can reduce the range at which the bullet will expand. That is the reason I gravitate towards heavier bullets for hunting. And the heavier bullet tend to yield deeper penetration which I might need on a raking shot on a large whitetail or boar. We have extremely thick undergrowth in most of the area where I hunt so most shots are less than 100yds. But in a few areas & on the straight trails/private roads, I might be able to shoot out to the maximum range at which I can correctly judge antler size. Longest range at which I have done that is 400yds. which is really stretching the envelope for even the best 5.56MM hunting loads from a 16" barrel. The 20" & longer barrels can reach out even further because of the velocity increase.  A can (suppressor) will add approx. 30 FPS to any given load. And as long as it is installed properly, the can should also tighten group size. I rarely hunt/shoot without a can nowadays. Hopefully, President Trump will be able to get suppressors reclassified as Title 1 (non-NFA) weapons which can be sold over the counter after the normal NICS background check.
View Quote
Thank you, sir!
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 6:37:23 PM EDT
[#18]
I came here to ask a similar question.  Ive got 64gr Gold dots in one AR and federal fusion MSR rounds in another loaded up for self defense but I was wondering which would be better to hunt with?  Im looking to go on a hog hunt later this year and maybe a deer hunt
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 1:50:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Can anyone compare the 64 and the 75 grain Gold Dot loads.

In my experience, bonded bullets are much less accurate than the OTM bullets like the 77gr Sierra etc.

I can average around 2MOA from the 64gr Gold Dots and the 62 Fusion MSR. I can occasionally get 1.25MOA but its rare with a bonded bullet. But I have never tried the 75.

A 75gr Gold Dot load at 5.56 pressure would be great IMO but unlikely due to all the non NATO chambers out there popping primers, causing chaos, etc.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 2:55:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Can anyone compare the 64 and the 75 grain Gold Dot loads.

In my experience, bonded bullets are much less accurate than the OTM bullets like the 77gr Sierra etc.

I can average around 2MOA from the 64gr Gold Dots and the 62 Fusion MSR. I can occasionally get 1.25MOA but its rare with a bonded bullet. But I have never tried the 75.

A 75gr Gold Dot load at 5.56 pressure would be great IMO but unlikely due to all the non NATO chambers out there popping primers, causing chaos, etc.
View Quote
I have similar experience with the fusions msr in both 1/7 and  1/8 twist barrels. 1.5-2moa
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:47:56 AM EDT
[#21]
It's anecdotal, but the coyote I shot with my FIL on Black Friday didn't say anything bad about the 64gr gold dot at ~125yds.  DRT.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:06:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I came here to ask a similar question.  Ive got 64gr Gold dots in one AR and federal fusion MSR rounds in another loaded up for self defense but I was wondering which would be better to hunt with?  Im looking to go on a hog hunt later this year and maybe a deer hunt
View Quote
They both work.  I used Federal Fusion MSR last year when I couldn't find 64gr Gold Dot and they worked just fine.  Similar performance on hog flesh/bone.  I would not hesitate to use MSR if I couldn't get Gold Dot.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:09:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
They may be more accurate but for hunting purpose they are like FMJ/ball bullet as they don't open up and leave just strait narrow wound channel.  In my experience I've never seen any .223/5.56 OTM bullet expand.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 4:13:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

OP,
View Quote
Sorry for the thread derail, but where are you finding GD bullets only?  I checked PV, Midway, and Widener's.  Did a google search and nothing.  Help please.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 5:04:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Sorry for the thread derail, but where are you finding GD bullets only?  I checked PV, Midway, and Widener's.  Did a google search and nothing.  Help please.
View Quote
https://rmrbullets.com/shop/bullets-for-reloading/bullets-for-reloading-224-5-56mm/224-62-gr-premium-boat-tail-bonded-soft-point-new/?v=7516fd43adaa

62 gr variety, I believe DocGKR has stated they stopped making the 64 gr version in favor of the 62 gr version with no diff in performance.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:48:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Looks like RMR finally ran out of the 64GR. bonded bullets. All they show now is the mixed 62GR./64GR & the 62GR. as posted above. I hope that RMR will eventually get some of the 75GR. bonded bullets. The 75GR. GDSP bullet at 5.56MM pressure works very well even from a 10" barrel out to over 200yds.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top