Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/15/2017 2:45:50 PM EDT
I'm giddy like a school boy over finally getting a scope on my AR and getting out to range with it.  Getting to this point with my rifle is almost exactly a year in the making.  I went to the range during lunch with three goals in mind:  1) zero my new scope, 2) try out 4 different kinds of ammo to see what was most accurate, 3) test out my new Spike’s ST-T2 tungsten buffer.  Here’s how it went:

1)I zeroed at 50 yards, having already boresighted at home.  And I used my Dad's .223 55gr FMJ reloads for zeroing.  I couldn’t believe it, but the first 3 shots were only about 1” high off the center.  It only took about 6 shots to get it zeroed, really easy.  So then I started aiming at the 100 yard target, which I’ve never been able to hit well with iron sights cause I can barely see it.
2)I shot 3 rounds at a time of each brand of ammo in this order:
       a.   IMI Razor Core 5.56 77-gr HPBT MATCH ($16.99/20) - 3 shots at 100 yards shot about ½” group.  I have to say "about" because unfortunately you can’t walk out to your target at this range (the RO's change targets at cease fire).  But I based it off the target rings, which are 1" thick each.  I had to round to the nearest ½”, looking thru my spotting scope.
       b.   Hornady BLACK .223 62gr FMJ ($7.99/20) – about 1” group.  Not bad.
       c.   Federal FUSION .223 62gr soft point ($20.99/20) – about a 3-4” group.  My gun HATED this stuff, it was all over the place.  Maybe I should have got the FUSION MSR, which is made specifically for 16” barrels, but I didn’t know that existed when I bought it.  Put this stuff in the “NEVER BUY” pile.
       d.   My Dad's .223 55gr FMJ – about a 1.5” group.  
Based off this, my gun seems to love the IMI 77gr.  It likes the Hornady BLACK also, which is good cause it’s not too expensive.  My Dad's reloads did good too, which I can get at plinking ammo prices from him.  It was moderately windy today, so I can probably do better without wind.
3)The Spike’s buffer worked fine.  Honestly, I couldn’t really tell if recoil was reduced, or the action was smoother.  But I did notice that my cases were ejected at about 3 o'clock, instead of more forward like with my old carbine buffer.  This is GOOD because the cases wound up right next to me, making them easier to recover, as you can't go forward of the bench ever at this range.  I’ve started saving all the brass I can, with plans to reload someday.

I hope to continue trying different brands, and maybe get to another range that has 200+ yard berms.  God I love this machine.  Obeying the rules:  home-built AR, barrel is Integrity Arms .223 Wylde, 1:8, 5R, melonite, 16" mid-length.

Edit:  Bonus fun cause the wife came out too.  She likes shooting the AR almost as much as me, and she even said the holy grail words, "I want one!".  I'd build her one in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 3:54:13 PM EDT
[#1]
When the ROs change the targets, they don't give you yours?  WTF????

Glad you had a nice range session!

Rob
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 4:07:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When the ROs change the targets, they don't give you yours?  WTF????
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 4:14:24 PM EDT
[#3]
They will if you ask, but you have to be very pro-active about getting it back.  Next time I will try to do that, but I forgot.  Plus I'd have to wait for the next cease fire.  They will even put up your own target if you ask them, you just have to wait for cease fires.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 4:27:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Sweet!
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 4:32:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice.  I've got an AR I just put together that I'm also trying out various factory loads to see what it likes.  

Where are you getting the Hornady Black for $7.99/20?  What I'm seeing is at best about $12 per.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 4:41:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice.  I've got an AR I just put together that I'm also trying out various factory loads to see what it likes.  

Where are you getting the Hornady Black for $7.99/20?  What I'm seeing is at best about $12 per.
View Quote

Actually now that you point that out, I think I might be wrong.  I got it at Field & Stream (impulse buy) and it very well might have been $12.99/box.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 6:11:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm giddy like a school boy over finally getting a scope on my AR and getting out to range with it.  Getting to this point with my rifle is almost exactly a year in the making.  I went to the range during lunch with three goals in mind:  1) zero my new scope, 2) try out 4 different kinds of ammo to see what was most accurate, 3) test out my new Spike’s ST-T2 tungsten buffer.  Here’s how it went:

1)I zeroed at 50 yards, having already boresighted at home.  And I used my Dad's .223 55gr FMJ reloads for zeroing.  I couldn’t believe it, but the first 3 shots were only about 1” high off the center.  It only took about 6 shots to get it zeroed, really easy.  So then I started aiming at the 100 yard target, which I’ve never been able to hit well with iron sights cause I can barely see it.
2)I shot 3 rounds at a time of each brand of ammo in this order:
       a.   IMI Razor Core 5.56 77-gr HPBT MATCH ($16.99/20) - 3 shots at 100 yards shot about ½” group.  I have to say "about" because unfortunately you can’t walk out to your target at this range (the RO's change targets at cease fire).  But I based it off the target rings, which are 1" thick each.  I had to round to the nearest ½”, looking thru my spotting scope.
       b.   Hornady BLACK .223 62gr FMJ ($7.99/20) – about 1” group.  Not bad.
       c.   Federal FUSION .223 62gr soft point ($20.99/20) – about a 3-4” group.  My gun HATED this stuff, it was all over the place.  Maybe I should have got the FUSION MSR, which is made specifically for 16” barrels, but I didn’t know that existed when I bought it.  Put this stuff in the “NEVER BUY” pile.
       d.   My Dad's .223 55gr FMJ – about a 1.5” group.  
Based off this, my gun seems to love the IMI 77gr.  It likes the Hornady BLACK also, which is good cause it’s not too expensive.  My Dad's reloads did good too, which I can get at plinking ammo prices from him.  It was moderately windy today, so I can probably do better without wind.
3)The Spike’s buffer worked fine.  Honestly, I couldn’t really tell if recoil was reduced, or the action was smoother.  But I did notice that my cases were ejected at about 3 o'clock, instead of more forward like with my old carbine buffer.  This is GOOD because the cases wound up right next to me, making them easier to recover, as you can't go forward of the bench ever at this range.  I’ve started saving all the brass I can, with plans to reload someday.

I hope to continue trying different brands, and maybe get to another range that has 200+ yard berms.  God I love this machine.  Obeying the rules:  home-built AR, barrel is Integrity Arms .223 Wylde, 1:8, 5R, melonite, 16" mid-length.

Edit:  Bonus fun cause the wife came out too.  She likes shooting the AR almost as much as me, and she even said the holy grail words, "I want one!".  I'd build her one in a heartbeat.
View Quote

I can help you with that. IM me.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top