Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/2/2017 10:26:55 PM EDT
I normally just shoot crappy ammo, but I recently got a couple nice rifles with scopes and bought some 69 grain ammo  with match king bullets. How will it perform on deer sized game?
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:08:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Eeehh, they're not really made for hunting, but I'm sure it would work under the right circumstances. I would personally use the 77 grain for an extra bit of penetration.

I'm sure others here have first hand experience with this.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:13:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 12:38:02 AM EDT
[#3]
The SMKs aren't really what you want for hunting, they may work, they may not. They're erratic at best, and suboptimal.

I used the 77 TMK this Nov on two. One neck shot that left an exit hole about 2-3 fingers thick, dropped on impact. The other was a chest shot that hit a rib, shredded both lungs and severed main aorta, and exited. Deer ran maybe 50m and piled up, was dead before I got there.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 12:48:21 AM EDT
[#4]
The 77 and 75 gr bullets have a lot more energy at distance.  The Barnes now comes in a 70 gr HPT copper bullet that should be ideal.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/666808/barnes-vor-tx-ammunition-556x45mm-nato-70-grain-triple-shock-x-bullet-hollow-point-lead-free-box-of-20
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 12:52:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SMKs will fragment. Not what you want for salvaging meat. Good for head shots though. Or they will explode armadillos very nicely.
View Quote

I've had several 123 6.5mm SMKs icepick right through animals.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 1:47:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I normally just shoot crappy ammo, but I recently got a couple nice rifles with scopes and bought some 69 grain ammo  with match king bullets. How will it perform on deer sized game?
View Quote

Reliable dramatic yaw based fragmentation, but with late onset yaw, at closer ranges or higher velocities. Late yaw only at longer ranges or lower velocities. That is specific to that bullet, in that caliber, in that weight.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 11:23:29 AM EDT
[#7]
With good shot placement they do well. For me I have strayed away from the OTM loads for my uses where I hunt and now use Fusions, TSX and MK318.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 2:35:12 PM EDT
[#8]
The 69 SMK has long been on the approved self defense list.

Men are the same size as deer generally.

Wouldn't be my first choice (I like soft points) but I'm sure it will do its part.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 10:29:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Shot a couple deer and foxes with the 77gr SMK.

What I saw with deer was straight line penetration all the way into the first lung, fragmentation between the first and second lung, with it blowing a 2-3in diameter hole through the 2nd lung and out. Deer made it maybe 50-75 yards then dropped.

Fox was more inconsistent, I've had some SMKs fragment in the fox and drop them, while some seem to have ice picked straight through them. My working theory is that they're fragmenting if they hit ribs or bones, but if they don't hit anything hard there's not enough room fragment.

I'll be trying out the TMKs soon to see how they do.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 11:34:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 1:22:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Ask these guys...

One boar was taken with a 69gr the other with a 77gr, the pair was taken with the 69gr IIRC.

" />

" />

" />
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 2:50:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
With good shot placement they do well. For me I have strayed away from the OTM loads for my uses where I hunt and now use Fusions, TSX and MK318.
View Quote

you hunt with 318? doesnt that fragmentation taint alot of the meat?
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 6:02:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The 69 SMK has long been on the approved self defense list.

Wouldn't be my first choice (I like soft points) but I'm sure it will do its part.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 12:08:39 AM EDT
[#14]
wasnt the 77gr version better than the 69 because of a shorter neck in gel tests?
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 1:55:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
wasnt the 77gr version better than the 69 because of a shorter neck in gel tests?
View Quote

Black Hills testing shows a shorter neck on 69.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 4:13:15 AM EDT
[#16]
I shot a coyote once with a hand-loaded 77gr SMK.  Left a small little ice-pick hole through and through.  But dropped the animal like a sack of potatoes.  Lights out.  DRT.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 4:18:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Non-tech comments removed

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 10:09:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have this year, have popped two Coyotes with MK318. First one (50 yards) it was facing away from me, shot it in the ass and I'm certain the slug passed through eye socket. And the second was just this weekend (300ish yards) it was hit in the neck, small entrance and a exit the size of a small orange. These are handloaded pulls that are loaded a little lighter than the actual mil load out of a 20" barrel. Will be going back to do more hog hunting in the coming weeks and I plan on trying them on those hunts.

So far it performs similar to OTM loads as far as fragmentation but that slug ensures deep penetration.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:45:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I have this year, have popped two Coyotes with MK318. First one (50 yards) it was facing away from me, shot it in the ass and I'm certain the slug passed through eye socket. And the second was just this weekend (300ish yards) it was hit in the neck, small entrance and a exit the size of a small orange. These are handloaded pulls that are loaded a little lighter than the actual mil load out of a 20" barrel. Will be going back to do more hog hunting in the coming weeks and I plan on trying them on those hunts.

So far it performs similar to OTM loads as far as fragmentation but that slug ensures deep penetration.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

oh,  sport hunting. good for testing out bullets.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:58:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

oh,  sport hunting. good for testing out bullets.
View Quote

Yes sir!
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 3:15:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Sierra also makes a very good 65 gr bullet designed for use on medium game, the #1395 65 gr Game King.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 3:37:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Sierra also makes a very good 65 gr bullet designed for use on medium game, the #1395 65 gr Game King.
View Quote

I have used that bullet on deer here in Missouri. 2 broadside shots both complete penetration with Quarter sized exit holes. Both ran 25 yards or so before collapsing. Huge blood trail, but did not exhibit enough "Shock" for me. Switched to the 55 grain BTSP Sierra #1350 and at the pop of the gun they are DRT!
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:18:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 3:24:23 PM EDT
[#24]
What we have seen from many samples of ballistics testing, compared with some of the major ammunition companies in the industry, is that you often see the nose bend over, while the jacket stays relatively intact below certain impact speeds.

If the impact speed is high enough, the jacket will shear under heavy load as the bullet yaws, and tear a relatively linear failure line on the shank.

If the speed is fast enough, the jacket will peel dramatically and allow the lead core to separate or mushroom.

At high speeds at close range, it might produce the wound effects you're looking for.

As the distance increases, your wound channel can be smaller and smaller.

I personally would not place it anywhere near the top of my list for taking game with all the projectiles we have available for that.

They are great target bullets though.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 10:07:45 PM EDT
[#25]
For anyone interested, here is a video showing Mk262 w/ 77gr SMK OTM at low velocity using a 7.5" barrel, which is about the same velocity at 300yards with a 16" barrel.

The bullet performed decently enough as it tumbled through the gel with a 3.5" neck, similar to a 5.45x39
Gold Dot 64gr has a neck of 8" when at distance, ~300yards.
TSX 70gr didn't expand when it is at low velocity either.

MK262 w/ 7.5" barrel
Gold Dot 64gr w/ 7.5" barrel
Barnes TSX 70gr w/ 7.5" barrel
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 10:25:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

The most common theme in reports about the SMK on game is "inconsistent."
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 8:57:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The most common theme in reports about the SMK on game is "inconsistent."
View Quote

This. My only unrecovered deer was with a 77 SMK from my Mk. 12. Maybe 80m away, solid hit in chest area, behind shoulder. She dropped on impact, flailed around and I thought she was down for the count, but then she jumped up and took off completely unhindered without even a hitch in her step. I spent a good couple hours looking for that doe, couldn't find even a hint that she was ever there. Still feel bad about that one, I should have used a better bullet.

It made me very hesitant to use .223 for awhile, but I used the TMK on two this year. Both performed great. I did the same shot on a doe this year, which left a decent blood trail and crashed down dead not 50m from the shot. Sometimes the SMK works great, sometimes it icepicks, it's why it can work but is definitely not recommended.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 6:42:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Got a couple more this last week...

I agree though... better bullets are out there, I just have a bunch of these.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 10:11:20 PM EDT
[#29]
So if the 77 SMK bullets are proven to not be optimal hunting projectiles, how are they doing on human targets? It's a fairly common round for our mil.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 10:30:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
So if the 77 SMK bullets are proven to not be optimal hunting projectiles, how are they doing on human targets? It's a fairly common round for our mil.
View Quote
Shot is shot.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 6:15:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
 But I would bet the 65gr SGK would work even better.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 6:24:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ask yourself, do you really care about being humane to terrorists?
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 3:16:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Generally not a good as the similar Nosler offering.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 3:02:46 PM EDT
[#34]
The 77gr TMK is the new hotness in that it fragments consistently and quickly to crazy low velocities and penetrates past 12" while having a much higher BC and with excellent accuracy from chambers it likes.  It is known to be pickier due to the ogive.  It seems to like Wylde chambers a lot from the reports I've seen.

There was an impressive pictorial here a while back of an antelope dropped DRT at 550yds or so with BH 77gr TMK from an 18"  MK12 SPR with a Wylde chamber.  The POI couldn't have been drawn on better, and the damage was very impressive, let alone from a .223 at that range.  IMO it makes the SMK obsolete on game.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 6:23:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The 77gr TMK is the new hotness in that it fragments consistently and quickly to crazy low velocities and penetrates past 12" while having a much higher BC and with excellent accuracy from chambers it likes.  It is known to be pickier due to the ogive.  It seems to like Wylde chambers a lot from the reports I've seen.

There was an impressive pictorial here a while back of an antelope dropped DRT at 550yds or so with BH 77gr TMK from an 18"  MK12 SPR with a Wylde chamber.  The POI couldn't have been drawn on better, and the damage was very impressive, let alone from a .223 at that range.  IMO it makes the SMK obsolete on game.
View Quote

Can confirm. Those TMK's don't fuck around, the deer I chest shot looked just as shredded and messed up as when I've used premium .308 hunting rounds in the past. My 2 SPRs usually shoot the Black Hills loaded TMK 77's about .1-.2MOA wider than Black Hills 77gr blue box, but it still hangs at or less than MOA. Also given that it works down to 1900fps and has a higher BC it works to a very long effective range. Not that that matters for me, my shots are <100m, but it's still worth noting.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 7:04:25 PM EDT
[#36]
I have been shooting the Creedmoor TMK at 2750 fps from 20 inch Lothar Walther barrel with Wylde chamber at 900 and 1000 yards.

Its real world G7 BC appears to be about .192, so BC is not nearly as high as claimed G1. But its a dandy round.  

Really accurate at 900.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 7:07:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have been shooting the Creedmoor TMK at 2750 fps from 20 inch Lothar Walther barrel with Wylde chamber at 900 and 1000 yards.

Its real world G7 BC appears to be about .192, so BC is not nearly as high as claimed G1. But its a dandy round.  

Really accurate at 900.
View Quote
Have you shot anything with it?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 7:35:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Self-quote for correction:

The antelope shot was 500yds, and/but it was a handload at 2600fps, so nearly same.  Impact velocity was calculated at 1780 and the bullet expanded but didn't drastically fragment.  Definitely wrecked some shit nonetheless.  Barrel was an 18" Douglas, chamber wasn't actually mentioned in that thread, but I know I've seen multiple posts of great accuracy with 77 TMKs from Wylde chambers.

Here's the thread.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:39:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Results with Sierra matching bullets are typically inconsistent.  bullets will explode, tumble on impact of perform like a fmj shooting straight through.  They are not recommended for hunting.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:22:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Zairrifleman,

I have only punched paper and steel target with it.  Never used it on game.  But likely to get a few coyotes yet this breeding season. Likely to be under 200 yards however.  (I hunt at night).
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 2:38:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

In a grendel or creedmoor, and at what range?  

I killed quite a few nuisance  deer with 142 smk in a creed and 107smk in a 243 or 243ai.  Both at distances between 400-750.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 2:49:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I killed quite a few nuisance  deer with 142 smk in a creed and 107smk in a 243 or 243ai.  Both at distances between 400-750.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grendel. It killed, but not very quickly.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 11:25:35 PM EDT
[#43]
It will work. Just a note that SMK were never meant to be a hunting round. I think any company is very hesitant in marketing as a game round because it was never meant to be used in such a case. It was only after the military got a hold of it that suddenly people realized, yes you can use it for game as well as self defense.

Yes it will work on mid sized games. Just make sure you buy quality stuff.The question is will it go down humanly? Now that's a question left to whoever views it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 12:41:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It will work. Just a note that SMK were never meant to be a hunting round. I think any company is very hesitant in marketing as a game round because it was never meant to be used in such a case. It was only after the military got a hold of it that suddenly people realized, yes you can use it for game as well as self defense.

Yes it will work on mid sized games. Just make sure you buy quality stuff.The question is will it go down humanly? Now that's a question left to whoever views it.
View Quote

You have it backwards. Only after us civilian shooters proved that SMKs worked well in our M14 NM/M1A NM rifles in the '70s did DOD start producing SMK based 7.62MM M852 ammunition in the '80s. I am one of the old farts that made 168GR. SMK "Mexican Match" M118 ammo in the '70s. Same with the 0.224" SMK bullets/loads which I/we used in our AR15/M16 rifles long before DOD did. But bullets/ammunition are continuously and quickly evolving to yield better terminal performance, especially in .223/5.56MM. Bottom line today: Anything a 0.224" SMK will do on a flesh & bone target, a 0.224" TMK of the same weight/caliber/velocity will do better IMO. .02
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 1:05:15 PM EDT
[#45]
I think you're talking across each other.

DoD was beat to the SMK by civilian match shooters but until the reports of Mk262 having excellent terminal effect came back from overseas not a lot of people advocated using .224" OTMs on game.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 1:48:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I think you're talking across each other.

DoD was beat to the SMK by civilian match shooters but until the reports of Mk262 having excellent terminal effect came back from overseas not a lot of people advocated using .224" OTMs on game.
View Quote

Hunters were using the 69GR. SMK loads on game animals decades before DOD started using 77GR. SMK OTM based BHA MK 262 MOD 0 then MOD 1. Again, I was one of them. Many of us also used the 70GR. SPEER semi-spritzer bullet on whitetail. Both killed well but penetration was lacking on both bullets because neither was bonded. We kept asking Nosler for a 0.224" Partition bullet but it took them a long time to realize the .223 could be used on medium sized game animals successfully. Below is a scan of a 1990s photo showing terminal performance of a 69GR. SMK over .223 pressure H335 fired from a 24" barreled AR15. The 18" Mk12 Special Purpose Rifle (SPR) and the MK 262 MOD 0/1 AA53 ammunition developed specifically for it were first fielded in approx. 2002.

Exit wound:

When 5.56MM pressure 77GR. SMK OTM based BHA MK 262 MOD 1 SECONDS came available to us civis in 2005, I started using it:

Entrance wound:

Exit wound without bone contact:
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 2:47:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Again, while some people may have used it, it wasn't a trend until after OEF brought home the news.

In those days if you'd written in to G&A and told them what you were doing a fraction of readers would think you were sane.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top