Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2017 9:38:11 PM EDT
Hi Folks,

Like a good AR owner, I have accumulated the massive amounts of stockpiled M193, and a lesser but still-sizeable quantity of M855 that is a requisite of being into these rifles. However, I also like to stack deep a good defensive/all-purpose round. I have tended to like the Sierra Gameking 65gr spitzer boat-tail soft points, which I load (this is not a loading question, but one on ammo performance), but I wonder how much better a bonded soft point would be.

I tend to think soft points are the best in this caliber, as nobody makes an affordable polymer-tip expanding round that actually holds its weight, like the Nosler hunting ballistic tip, Hornady SST, or similar bonded offering.

I ask this question because I have a line on a bunch of Federal Fusion 62gr bonded rounds for an excellent price, and I am wondering whether I should spring for these instead of going with my earlier plan to reload and stockpile a huge number of rounds with the Sierra Gameking.

If anyone has experience with either of these two bullets in gel and shooting through barriers/bone (like in hunting), I would very much appreciate to hear it!

Thanks, and Happy New Year! 
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 10:54:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Fed Fusion is my go to self defense choice.  When PSA ran them on sale last year I picked up a couple of hundred rounds.  I have found it to be pretty accurate out of all of my rifles and gel test and deer hunter anecdotes give me confidence in this loading.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 12:28:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Speer Gold Dot Is my go to.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 4:19:59 AM EDT
[#3]
The 65 SGK doesn't penetrate as deep IIRC as Fusion.

I have 1k of the Fusion loaded over 26.2gr CFE223 to approximate factory MV. Plus the Fusion has a cannelure which I prefer when using in an AR.

Some LE agency required the 64gr Winchester bonded in their contract load to use a cannelure bullet specifically due to setback in ARs..can't remember which though.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 7:07:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 11:17:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the Fusion is more of a barrier blind load than the GK.  And I have had difficulty finding a good loading for the 65 with Re15 or 748. Does a 65GK factory load exist?
View Quote

Wilson Combat has a factory load.

Hotlink

Caliber: .223 Remington
Bullet: 65 gr. Sierra GameKing Spitzer Boat Tail
Velocity: 2730 fps (16" Bbl) 2890 fps (20" Bbl)
Muzzle Energy: 1076 ft-lbs. (16" Bbl) 1205 ft-lbs. (20" Bbl)
Test Barrel Length: 16" & 20"
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 1:39:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The 65 SGK doesn't penetrate as deep IIRC as Fusion.

I have 1k of the Fusion loaded over 26.2gr CFE223 to approximate factory MV. Plus the Fusion has a cannelure which I prefer when using in an AR.

Some LE agency required the 64gr Winchester bonded in their contract load to use a cannelure bullet specifically due to setback in ARs..can't remember which though.
View Quote
Are you readily able to find good quantities of the fusion bullet for reloading? One of the only things keeping me from grabbing some is the idea that once I work up a good load for them they might be gone and I'd have wasted that powder and range time. 
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 1:55:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Are you readily able to find good quantities of the fusion bullet for reloading? One of the only things keeping me from grabbing some is the idea that once I work up a good load for them they might be gone and I'd have wasted that powder and range time. 
View Quote

Rocky Mountain reloading has them in big quantities from 250ct to 5000ct. But they aren't labeled as the said bullet because they were asked not to.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 2:32:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes they've been been available for around 12c each on RMR for months now, plus they are overrun new production, not pulls.

If you want to stock up I'd buy a few K from them asap. Free shipping, too.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 6:23:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Rocky Mountain reloading has them in big quantities from 250ct to 5000ct. But they aren't labeled as the said bullet because they were asked not to.
View Quote

I buy all my bullets from RMR.  If you do purchase from them, make sure to inspect every bullet before you load them.  Every order I have ever gotten from them has a few strays that creep in that include factory defects, other types of bullets(50gr Vmaxs in an order of Fusions), or same bullet but different weights(a few 55gr Fusions in my order of 62gr or 62s in my order of 55s).  Their prices are awesome and service is great but take the time to look.  Dont want to mistakenly load a 62 when you thought it was a 55.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 7:50:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Speer Gold Dot Is my go to.
View Quote

Ever tried PPU 55gr SP?
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top