Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2017 6:59:45 PM EDT
Well today I went out shooting with my brother and a friend who has very little experience shooting. I spent most of the day letting my brother shoot my ar while I helped my friend get introduced to a variety of different pistols and help her get more comfortable handling firearms.

Well after letting the ar cool down on the last session of the day I wanted to test out the bipod and Caldwell AR Tactical bags.

I did 3 strings of 5 with cheap Walmart Perfecta 223 to see which I liked the best.

Rifle details.

16in Blackhole Weaponry barrel, 1:8 twist with JP Enterprise 3 prong Flash hider
16.5in SLR Solo series rail free floated
CMC Flat Bow 3.5lb sing stage trigger
Anderson lower with PSA lpk and buffer assy
SAA upper with a Nickel Boron BCG
Fab Defense G-shock butt stock and rubberized grip.
Vortex Spitfire 3x optic on an American Defense qd mount.
UTG super duty bipod in the shots with bipod.

I will preemptively say that I am far from the best shot and the last 5 shot group was rushed due to running out of time.

Bipod only without a rear bag.

Bipod with the Caldwell rear bag, I am thoroughly im pressed with myself on this group as I wasn't expecting this with this ammo and my limited experience.

This group is using both the front and rear bags without the bipod, I had a lot of trouble keeping this setup on target between shots and had trouble in general keeping everything steady with this setup.

Link Posted: 1/3/2017 2:10:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, but one group is not an indicator of performance. If you had back to back groups, it would be more compelling. Three in a row, totally convincing. Even the worst rifle and ammo can throw up an occasional sub MOA group. It's what the barrel and ammo does on a regular basis that matters.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 2:13:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I completely agree. If I wasn't trying out different rests and bags to see which worked best I would have went for a fee more groups. Now that I've got a combo that I can shoot pretty decently with I can work on getting consistent groups and work on my skills.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 6:03:44 PM EDT
[#3]
yeah, I mean it's getting an average of 2" or so.  Not much to complain about that for reasonably priced ammo.  Good shooting.  You're probably shooting it about as well as it's going to be shot.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 2:39:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Yea I was thoroughly surprise how much a more stable front rest and a rear bag make in precision. Before with just some cheap plastic front rest I was getting 3-5in groups with this ammo and just switching and experimenting with the bipod and front and rear bags quickly tightened up those group on even this cheap plinking ammo.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top