BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2016 1:59:31 AM EDT
Any input would be appreciated -

What round is best for hunting deer with a .223 -

Got a .308 on the way but may have to improvise and break out the AR if the R700 doesn't get here on time for opening day.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 2:06:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I used a Speer Gold Dot 64 grain SP this year.
One shot- 200 yards, took out the front shoulder and lung of a 255 Lb 6x4 Mule deer.

He ran about 40 feet, and end of the trail.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 2:30:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been thinking about that as well. I sold my .270 (shame on me) and built another AR so I'm curious as to what rounds people trust to take down a whitetail. In for more info!
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 4:03:32 AM EDT
[#3]
62 Fusion, Hornady 55 SP, 65 Sierra Gameking all seem popular for deer
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 7:12:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd say Federal Fusion, or something pushing a Barnes TSX.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 11:42:32 AM EDT
[#5]
And for when OP's (and my) .308 come in, what ammo are you guys using for deer.  I'd love to find a hunting ammo and range ammo that fly out of the barrel the same.  So I can zero the scope and it will be close to on target at the range and in the woods.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 12:07:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One shot- 200 yards, took out the front shoulder and lung of a 255 Lb 6x4 Mule deer.

View Quote

64gr Speer GD is what I'm using this year too.
Second choice would be 62gr Federal Fusion
Third choice would be Winchester 64gr Power Point
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 12:11:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
And for when OP's (and my) .308 come in, what ammo are you guys using for deer.  I'd love to find a hunting ammo and range ammo that fly out of the barrel the same.  So I can zero the scope and it will be close to on target at the range and in the woods.
View Quote

I use Winchester Super X 150gr Power Point out of my Savage and Remington bolt guns.
The 150gr Power Point is sufficient for the biggest deer out to 300+ yards and it's been very accurate out of my two rifles.  Finally, it's easy to find at local Walmart and only cost $17.99 per box making it economical enough to shoot them at the range frequently.  

Link Posted: 11/14/2016 2:08:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Barnes 62 or 70g tsx or the Fusion MSR 62g.

Shoot straight and they will kill um dead.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 2:26:25 PM EDT
[#9]
.277 Wolverine with a 100gr Nosler Accubond...

Last I went out for whitetail with my .223/5.56 upper, I had my mag loaded with Black Hills' 5.56 77gr TMK load. LEID has shown that they work real good on deer. I, unfortunately, never got the chance to shoot anything.

The loads using TSX and TTSX projos have proven to be excellent also. I just don't have any, so next time I go to use the .223/5.56 upper for deer in a rifle friendly state, I'll be using the 77gr TMKs again.

Good luck!

Link Posted: 11/14/2016 2:43:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have heard a lot of good things about hornady precision hunter 178g.. I'm gonna give them a try
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 4:34:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I loaded up a bunch of Barnes 70gr TSX based on the countless number of excellent reviews for whitetail. I'll be using them this year (hunt starts this Saturday). I'll report back and show the results although I am very confident they will do the trick. I used Ramshot TAC powder but I cannot remember how much otherwise I would share it.

They are also stupid accurate out of my Daniel Defense V7. Adding a Geissele SSA-E trigger did wonders also...

Two other bullets that I know will kill a deer but would NEVER recommend is the 62gr green tip Federal ammo and the 75gr Hornady Match BTHP.

Both were used by my buddy who was in the army. The 62gr green tip shot was in the brisket at about 150yards and it blew a chunk out of its chest the size of a baseball (I was there and can confirm this). This was before he knew it was illegal to hunt with FMJ ammo.

The 75gr Match BTHP was used at the base of a doe's neck, right in the center. This was the same friend (I didn't witness the shot but saw the deer afterwards) who used the green tip ammo a year earlier. It was about a 35 yard shot and the doe was staring at him. When he shot it, he said it didn't take one step, it immediately fell on the ground and was done. We have both killed over two dozen deer in years of hunting and never had one drop like that.

When we gutted it, the part of the windpipe that branches off into the two lungs was turned into red jelly. The bullet completely exploded being a match bullet, now we know not to use them. There was obviously no exit wound at all.

I researched better bullets which is what lead me to the Barnes TSX.

Good luck
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 6:12:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Anything with a Trophy Bonded Bear Claw (TBBC) bullet wouldn't be a bad choice.
Some of the new Barns expanding copper loads look pretty nice too.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 8:35:17 PM EDT
[#13]
If I were to hunt deer with my 5.56 I would definitely use the Barnes 5.56 70 grain tsx. There accurate, have great expansion and weight retention, and Midway has them in stock right now for about $1.00 a round.

Last time I got some was Father's Day and I believe they were on sale for $15 a box. I just recently picked up another case because they came back in stock.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 11:48:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I loaded up a bunch of Barnes 70gr TSX based on the countless number of excellent reviews for whitetail. I'll be using them this year (hunt starts this Saturday). I'll report back and show the results although I am very confident they will do the trick. I used Ramshot TAC powder but I cannot remember how much otherwise I would share it.

They are also stupid accurate out of my Daniel Defense V7. Adding a Geissele SSA-E trigger did wonders also...

Two other bullets that I know will kill a deer but would NEVER recommend is the 62gr green tip Federal ammo and the 75gr Hornady Match BTHP.

Both were used by my buddy who was in the army. The 62gr green tip shot was in the brisket at about 150yards and it blew a chunk out of its chest the size of a baseball (I was there and can confirm this). This was before he knew it was illegal to hunt with FMJ ammo.

The 75gr Match BTHP was used at the base of a doe's neck, right in the center. This was the same friend (I didn't witness the shot but saw the deer afterwards) who used the green tip ammo a year earlier. It was about a 35 yard shot and the doe was staring at him. When he shot it, he said it didn't take one step, it immediately fell on the ground and was done. We have both killed over two dozen deer in years of hunting and never had one drop like that.

When we gutted it, the part of the windpipe that branches off into the two lungs was turned into red jelly. The bullet completely exploded being a match bullet, now we know not to use them. There was obviously no exit wound at all.

Good luck
View Quote

The 70gr. tsx is good if your going to take a quartering away shot and want max. penetration, but the lighter weights display excellent penetration too from all other angles. The heavy match HPs will work great, but leave lots of little fragments to pick out.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 12:14:36 AM EDT
[#15]
I just made a trade for 650 70gr TSX on my assumption they'd make a great deer round. Going by comments in this thread my assumptions were spot on.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 3:38:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Shot this doe with a 64gr Speer Gold Dot LE at approximately 75 yards out of a 16" 1/8 twist barrel.

The round entered just in front of the shoulder...

and exited behind the opposite shoulder taking out the tops of the lungs.

The doe ran about 30 yards before expiring.
Minimal meat damage, good penetration, and what appears to be a quarter size exit wound...not bad for a .223.  

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 11:13:16 AM EDT
[#17]
the couple times I used an AR I used MK262.  It worked well for what it is.  Shot placement is critical, small path of destruction vs 308
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 9:53:22 PM EDT
[#18]
16" bbl, 1/8"  Nickle to dime sized groups from handloaded 65 Sierra Gameking & fac Hornady 75 gr bthp Match (brown box).  

In my rifle, both loads shoot within 1/2" of each other.  I have shot at least 4 or 5 Texas whitetails out to 80~~100 yds - shoulder shots.  All DRT or with in 25-35 yds.  If I get broadside shots, I normally have full penetration thru shoulder/ ribs with around quarter sized exits.  

BUT having said that, I make damm sure to wait for the optimum shot.  If I only have an "iffy" shot for a .223, I wait.

Link Posted: 11/16/2016 2:34:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Barrel length? Just curious...
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 11:19:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 5:35:02 PM EDT
[#21]

Just tried to read that.  First several pages are a drama filled pissing match.   I couldn't make it to any of the interesting info because of all the bickering.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 6:27:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Hunting load that I worked up for my .223:  USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.
75gr Swift Scorroco II,
24.1gr Varget
CCI primer
Chrono'd at 2580MV in 36F shot out of an 18" White Oak Armament barrel with 1:7 twist.
C.O.A.L OF 2.255
Ogive1.810

Shoots 3/4 MOA at 100yds.

There you go.  Enjoy your meat.

Link Posted: 11/20/2016 10:02:23 PM EDT
[#23]
8 Pointer. Shot with my hometown rifle. BCM 14.5" & Vortex Viper 1-4 with ADM mount.  Round used: 223 77 Gr Gold Dot.  Went about 20 yards.

Link Posted: 11/20/2016 10:19:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I use the 168gr nosler ballistic silver tip.  Almost the exact same dope as my 168smk.

Never failed to drop a deer within 20 yards.

Txl
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 11:22:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
8 Pointer. Shot with my hometown rifle. BCM 14.5" & Vortex Viper 1-4 with ADM mount.  Round used: 223 77 Gr Gold Dot.  Went about 20 yards.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5519/30777809300_fcb3e96ddc_k.jpg
View Quote

Good kill! Any details on how it performed when you harvested the deer? Were you able to recover the bullet?
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 11:51:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Bullet passed through.  Exit was about the size of a quarter maybe a little smaller.  Lungs and heart were non existent.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 12:07:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Made my first .223 kill using a 12.5" SBR and Black Hills loaded 77 grain TMKs. I normally make neck shots, but I was looking at making this my HD round so I took a chest shot in the name of science and future peace of mind. From about 50m I took a broadside shot at a decent sized (for Oklahoma, anyway) doe. The round hit a rib upon entry, liquified the lungs, and exited the opposite side. I was worried that due to the fragmenting design that I would have significant meat loss or that penetration would be shallow, but neither of those concerns were founded. Turns out it fragments at just about the perfect depth range of a deer chest cavity, with just enough penetration for the remaining bullet base to punch through the opposite side. From the inside of the chest cavity both entrance and exit holes were roughly the size of a silver dollar. She ran maybe 50m and piled up. She was dead by the time I walked over to her.

The test confirmed my suspicion, those TMKs aren't messing around, and I'd definitely recommend them.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 8:46:37 AM EDT
[#28]
3 bucks killed by me this year, a little 6pt, a nice 12pt, and a huge 10pt, 22+ spread, did not recover any bullet, all pass through's, 2 had fist sized holes on the off side, found one piece of jacket  in the one. all were taken with 65gr serria game kings, 2 dropped in the tracks, including the big ten pt, 12 pt ran 20yds and piled up, like I said in another post on the deer hunting fourm, this is my new bullet.
Load was 24.5 imr 4895, fed 205 primer, in mixed brass. 1x9 twist 20".
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 6:47:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
3 bucks killed by me this year, a little 6pt, a nice 12pt, and a huge 10pt, 22+ spread, did not recover any bullet, all pass through's, 2 had fist sized holes on the off side, found one piece of jacket  in the one. all were taken with 65gr serria game kings, 2 dropped in the tracks, including the big ten pt, 12 pt ran 20yds and piled up, like I said in another post on the deer hunting fourm, this is my new bullet.
View Quote

Do you have chrono data for that load? I have a couple boxes of the Gameking. Just not sure when they'll get used cuz I have 1k 62 Fusion as well.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 8:33:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The 70gr. tsx is good if your going to take a quartering away shot and want max. penetration, but the lighter weights display excellent penetration too from all other angles. The heavy match HPs will work great, but leave lots of little fragments to pick out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck

True- The 62gr tsx I think is the optimal round for deer in .223. The 70gr just seemed to lack some of the hydrostatic effect that the faster bullets get. I prefer 6.8spc for critters especially with the 85gr tsx at 3000fps but .223 will do good enough if you aim good.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 9:02:18 PM EDT
[#31]
No I don't, I never shot them across my chrono, very accurate load though.
Quoted:

Do you have chrono data for that load? I have a couple boxes of the Gameking. Just not sure when they'll get used cuz I have 1k 62 Fusion as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/21/2016 9:16:29 PM EDT
[#32]
That's pretty awesome to read how many of you guys have good success with .223/5.56 on deer.
No go in WA
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 9:34:27 PM EDT
[#33]
I've killed several good sized deer with a 55grn sp.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:13:27 PM EDT
[#34]
DennyD, my load for that bullet has been 25.2 grains of W748, mixed brass, standard small rifle primer.  I'm getting 2,850 fps out of a 20-inch barrel and excellent accuracy.  I haven't shot any deer with it, but I have shot numerous wild hogs, and it killed them good.  I shot them at ranges of 10 yards to just over 100.  My oldest granddaughter killed a deer using my load in a 16-inch barreled AR and my son said the results mirrored yours.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 4:55:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Got two on Monday using BH MK 262 Mod 1. Shot out of an accurized 16" mid gas rifle with a Vortex PST 1-4 and a SiCo Saker K. Love this setup.

The buck trotted about 20 yds after being shot and dropped. Pass through with fragmentation, lungs and liver destroyed. About 125 yds.
Entry:

Exit:

The doe dropped in place. Lungs, heart, and ribs liquefied. About 90 yds.
Entry:

Exit:

Awesome performance!
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 9:04:21 PM EDT
[#36]
I am thinking I am getting around the same results speed wise, I have take plenty of whitetails with the 223 ar's, mostly 55sp of the hornady kind, and they worked good, but theses 65 skg's are a whole different breed, holes in and big holes out, big bucks 2 of them, if I needed a blood trail I would have had no problem tracking it, unlike the 55gr hornady, I still found my deer usally within sight, but these drt like they were hit in the head with a with the post mall of thor, I was not expecting.
Quoted:
DennyD, my load for that bullet has been 25.2 grains of W748, mixed brass, standard small rifle primer.  I'm getting 2,850 fps out of a 20-inch barrel and excellent accuracy.  I haven't shot any deer with it, but I have shot numerous wild hogs, and it killed them good.  I shot them at ranges of 10 yards to just over 100.  My oldest granddaughter killed a deer using my load in a 16-inch barreled AR and my son said the results mirrored yours.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 8:51:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Fusion MSR 62 grain, shot a 130 lb buck with that last week. I hit the spine so it drop there.
My rifle is a M&P 15t which has a 16" 1/8 R5 barrel. Shot distance was 75 yards.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 3:51:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Shot a doe a couple of years ago broadside from about 65 yards with my Doublestar & Fusion 62gr.. It ran about 25yds. ran in a circle a couple of times then dropped. The bullet went through both lungs and exited the other side. I've been using my AR since then for deer hunting but haven't gotten another shot at a deer yet.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top