Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/20/2016 10:40:18 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 1:07:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd be interested in giving that a try. I haven't even heard about it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 11:36:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 1:43:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got some... should be here next week.

Posted where in the "Where to find Ammo" link.
View Quote

I hope they do you better than they did me. Waiting for over a month now for a small order of black hills 77 TMK. Check out thier ratings on Facebook, thier shipping sucks.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 2:22:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I hope they do you better than they did me. Waiting for over a month now for a small order of black hills 77 TMK. Check out thier ratings on Facebook, thier shipping sucks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's really odd.  I'm just North of you in VA, and I have never had a problem with Target Sports USA shipping.  Typically 2 days at the most to process an order and to get the shipping notice.  My last order with them was for 500 rounds of BH 5.56 77gr TMK.  Ordered on 9/4/2016 and received on 9/12/2016 (free shipping).  This was very typical timing for me.  I'm not their best customer at all either.  I buy mostly from SGAmmo.

I wonder if they screwed up on inventory and you're on a back order.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 2:48:38 PM EDT
[#5]
is that a Mk262 clone? how much per round?

i've been using the IMI 77gr razor with good success, no over pressured stuff yet in over 2000 rounds, mostly older stock though.

look forward to the review when you get it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 4:58:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That's really odd.  I'm just North of you in VA, and I have never had a problem with Target Sports USA shipping.  Typically 2 days at the most to process an order and to get the shipping notice.  My last order with them was for 500 rounds of BH 5.56 77gr TMK.  Ordered on 9/4/2016 and received on 9/12/2016 (free shipping).  This was very typical timing for me.  I'm not their best customer at all either.  I buy mostly from SGAmmo.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I emailed them on Monday and I was told "it will ship tomorrow". It's Thursday and still shows processing.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 6:28:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 2:23:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Looking forward to your results!
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 9:33:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Sportsman's Guide shows it in stock for $16.14/box of 20.  Free delivery.

Is Federal trying to take over the contract from Black Hills?
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 3:50:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Any updates on how the FC262 shoots? I just ordered a few boxes to see how it works in my Mk12.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 1:12:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Has anybody shot this stuff is it any good?
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 8:59:35 AM EDT
[#13]
I picked up 2 boxes locally. I would go shoot them but it's been extremely cold and staying indoors sounds so much better haha.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:36:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I picked up 2 boxes locally. I would go shoot them but it's been extremely cold and staying indoors sounds so much better haha.
View Quote

Weather is pretty brutal all over the country right now.

I've got 400 rounds of ammo that needs shot waiting in my range bag..damn ice!

This ammo looks promising.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:48:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Weather is pretty brutal all over the country right now.

I've got 400 rounds of ammo that needs shot waiting in my range bag..damn ice!

This ammo looks promising.
View Quote

After work today I might get some pictures and measure out some stats and weights. See how consistent it is across the board. 
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 11:38:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 6:36:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Several inches of snow tonight, weather definitely not cooperating. So I thought I'd break out the rounds and take some pictures and do some measurements. 

Rounds look interesting because I don't see any crimp on the bullet? And the average weight doesn't vary more than 1.5 grains lighter or heavier. Not sure what other types of ammo has for variance but there you go. 

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:38:50 AM EDT
[#18]
I can't say I recall ever seeing a primer stamped. That is very interesting on its own.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:04:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I can't say I recall ever seeing a primer stamped. That is very interesting on its own.
View Quote

My thoughts as well
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:15:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 1:49:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I'll be damned..never heard of those.

Certainly looks like high quality ammo. Can't believe you guys punch paper with that stuff :P

I'd just load it in GI mags then wait for the show to start..
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:15:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Weather finally played nice, got into the 40s today. The ammo, however, did not. Shot some very nice 5 round groups just under an inch. I was noticing some ejector swipes and raised portions of the brass that didn't look good. The last round of the first 20 round box popped the primer and I said no more. 

Rifle is a Mk12 mod 1 clone with Douglas barrel from High Caliber Sales. 

Could it be the rifle possibly? It's been a little while since I've scrubbed the chamber. My cleaning schedule is run a boresnake through the bore and wipe down the bolt carrier and barrel extension. 
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:54:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Weather finally played nice, got into the 40s today. The ammo, however, did not. Shot some very nice 5 round groups just under an inch. I was noticing some ejector swipes and raised portions of the brass that didn't look good. The last round of the first 20 round box popped the primer and I said no more. 

Could it be the rifle possibly? It's been a little while since I've scrubbed the chamber. My cleaning schedule is run a boresnake through the bore and wipe down the bolt carrier and barrel extension. 
View Quote

What chamber does the barrel have? Have you measured it? Any popped primers with other 5.56 pressure ammo?
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 7:33:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What chamber does the barrel have? Have you measured it? Any popped primers with other 5.56 pressure ammo?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have never measured it, didn't know I could do such a thing.

Chamber is 'Optimized for Mk262 (Black Hills 77gr equivalent)' -taken from High Caliber Sales website where I bought it.

Have fired real M855, and 3 different lots of Magtech CBC 77gr 5.56. The most recent lot of CBC has shown a little more pressure than usual but when shot side by side with previous lots, they show no signs.

This is the first popped primer in this rifle. 
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 5:07:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Have never measured it, didn't know I could do such a thing.

Chamber is 'Optimized for Mk262 (Black Hills 77gr equivalent)' -taken from High Caliber Sales website where I bought it.

Have fired real M855, and 3 different lots of Magtech CBC 77gr 5.56. The most recent lot of CBC has shown a little more pressure than usual but when shot side by side with previous lots, they show no signs.

This is the first popped primer in this rifle. 
View Quote
You'd need a 5.56mm headspace gauge, and a throat checking tool to see what the chamber actually is dimension wise. Since you've fired 5.56 pressure ammo in it previously, it could be this batch may be just quite high pressure.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 6:14:10 AM EDT
[#26]
I've got two cases of it and a box of 20 to see what I see.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 8:45:44 AM EDT
[#27]
High pressure ammo in FC brass! 
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:31:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
High pressure ammo in FC brass! 
View Quote

is FC brass known to be soft?
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 3:05:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Federal has had issues with soft brass before... as in throw it away after a stout load.

I hope this load is going to do better then "blown primers" ....

I won't be able to get to the range with mine until after Christmas... I am a little concerned, if this blew a primer and showed over pressure signs in 40 degree temps... 90 degree's will be scary.

Federal isn't stupid though... they must have developed the load some how !?

I might just send them an e-mail and see if there is anything they have to say concerning this.
View Quote

Do you have contact info so I can send them pics and my experience?
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 3:11:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 4:20:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Federal has had issues with soft brass before... as in throw it away after a stout load.

I hope this load is going to do better then "blown primers" ....

I won't be able to get to the range with mine until after Christmas... I am a little concerned, if this blew a primer and showed over pressure signs in 40 degree temps... 90 degree's will be scary.

Federal isn't stupid though... they must have developed the load some how !?

I might just send them an e-mail and see if there is anything they have to say concerning this.
View Quote

Any reloader will tell you that Federal brass as a WHOLE is softer brass. It's a relative thing but in general it is considered soft.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 4:27:38 PM EDT
[#33]

Done. Will update when I get a response. 
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 12:43:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Done. Will update when I get a response. 
View Quote

I'm interested to hear the response.  I've shot a fair amount of this round through multiple guns (both 5.56 and Wylde chambers) with no pressure signs or primer issues.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 12:27:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Any reloader will tell you that Federal brass as a WHOLE is softer brass. It's a relative thing but in general it is considered soft.
View Quote

Very true, I use Federal brass as long as it's usable.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 12:31:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Damn. It must be right on that ragged edge to get the velocity spec. I wonder what powder they are using. Hope you get it all sorted out with them.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 10:39:17 PM EDT
[#37]
For you reloaders saying that Fed brass is considered somewhat "soft", which I've heard before, does that include their LC brass?
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 11:48:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
For you reloaders saying that Fed brass is considered somewhat "soft", which I've heard before, does that include their LC brass?
View Quote

LC brass is Lake City, not Federal.  Two different plants with different requirements.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 12:46:37 AM EDT
[#39]

CCI Benchrest primers are also stamped similarly... with "BR" .... FWIW
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 5:20:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Damn. It must be right on that ragged edge to get the velocity spec. I wonder what powder they are using. Hope you get it all sorted out with them.
View Quote
Minor update today Federal got into contact and arranged for UPS to pick up the remaining rounds. I'll update again with Federal's response. 
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:17:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 10:13:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Fuck dude, while I'm happy it's not an issue with my rifle, that sucks that your ammo appears effected as well 
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 10:20:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 10:29:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Right there with you... originally I was happy no primers were in my action.... But , having them "pop" into my hand when blowing with just my mouth PSI on the case neck..... craaaaaap....
View Quote
When I get home tonight I'll try the same thing with my empty cases too. 
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 11:22:15 PM EDT
[#45]
I picked up three boxes of this same ammo today at my local range, price tag was $22 per box. After firing six rounds with a chrono, my average velocity was 2694. I think my highest was 2704. Temp was 50 degrees, 28 % humidity and 15 -20 mph wind. I was shooting through my mid length 14.5" BCM barrel since I am still in build mode of my MK12. My accuracy wasn't the greatest, but I was able to zero my new scope and hit a 330, 450 and 550 meter steel targets with crazy wind. I would have tried for longer targets, but I ran out of ammo. I had approximately 5 or so of the sixty total that had blown primers. This surprised the shit outta me as I have never seen that happen in my two and a half decades of firing 5.56 ammo. I did notice that all my brass was landing at my 5 o'clock instead of the 2 or 3 position. That coupled with the blown primer discovery told me that these rounds produce a lot of pressure. Over gas can be fixed with heavier buffer (I run a spikes T2 in this rifle), but I can't fix blown primers. I kept my brass for reloading purposes but after reading this entire post, now I'm not so sure that is a great idea.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 1:04:01 AM EDT
[#46]
At $12.99 a box looks like I'll be stick with Gold Dots.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 11:17:52 AM EDT
[#47]
This reminds me of the recent issue with IMI ammo popping primers.  This is what Sam from SGAmmo said about that:

Most military type loads offered in the commercial market are intentionally reduced slightly in pressure and velocity from actual mil-spec to allow correct function in the full diversity of commercial firearms sold in the USA. IMI made the mistake of loading all their ammo to their mil-spec contract specs / full pressure levels which is fine in most guns, but with the diversity of firearms in the US commercial market that do not conform to actual NATO standards there are bound to be problems in some guns when using full mil-spec pressure loads, a tight bore, a gas system that is clogged or of unusual configuration of barrel and gas tube length, chamber irregularities , or just the 'perfect storm' of tiny spec issues that together create a higher pressure level with true mil-spec ammo. These issues can cause pressure issues that result in the primer being expelled but it is really not the ammo to be blamed, it exposes an underlying issue within that gun that is being exposed by using full mil-spec pressure ammo. Since most brands reduce their commercial ammo it is not often duplicated with other brands, and the consumer logic is then that there is something wrong with the ammo since other ammo works fine, and just about no one ever wants to think their gun has an issue as they are cherished possessions, especially when they can justify otherwise by using other ammo successfully. Over all the number of clients that had issues with the primers being expelled with IMI ammo was about 1 client per every 1,000,000 rounds sold, so it is really something that has been exaggerated by exposure on forum discussion as being a bigger problem that it really is. I do know they are now slightly reducing pressure on new lots to dodge the bad press on this issue.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 7:35:40 PM EDT
[#48]
I shot 80rds. FC262 with my MK12 Mod0 today no primer problems I had two lot# Head stamp 14 and 16 had some flyers not sure what head stamp they were I finished my day with 40rds. of IMI 77gr.OTM no primer problems all were in 1''
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 8:05:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 8:56:11 PM EDT
[#50]
No deprimer tool but I can try using a small punch and see if they push out easy.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top