Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2016 11:16:15 AM EDT
I have a bullet puller for rounds that need to be disposed of - FTF, dented cases, etc.

So I can get the bullet and powder out, leaving the primed case.

Is there a good method to kill the primer so that it won't go bang in the garbage man's compactor?

I've heard of spraying Rem oil or such into the case - is that an effective way of deatcivating the explosive aspect of the primer?  If not oil, something else to ruin the primer?

I know a primer by itself won't do much but if I have a bunch of primed cases, I still don't want them all going pop if I throw them away and they get crunched by the garbage truck.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 12:05:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 5:00:19 PM EDT
[#2]
...sell them?
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 5:02:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I put all my spent primers and any live primers/cases for disposal in a juice bottle that's got a few inches of water in the bottom.

Don't know if it works come to think of it lol.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 6:56:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Dented case good primer- Just remove the decapping pin when resizing.

Bad primer- the decapping pin will push it out.

or just give them to a buddy who reloads.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:20:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Pop 'em off.  That is the ONLY reliable way to deactivate a primer.

Getting them wet will MAYBE keep them from operating, but ONLY when they're wet.  The same is true with solvents, oils, etc.  I've tried a LOT of variations of these techniques, and none of them permanently kills primers.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 3:42:27 PM EDT
[#6]
If you reload push them out slowly wearing ear pro and glasses.  I've deprimed several hundred cases without issues.

Otherwise put in gun and set them off, easiest solution.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 3:49:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I fire them off in a gun. Then start over with my case prep
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:40:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I fire them off in a gun. Then start over with my case prep
View Quote

Exactly. Why would you throw brass away? Save it and take it to the scrapper, or give it to someone who does.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:44:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd say fire them and see if you can salvage the brass as well by resizing.  i've fired primers only in 5.56 and 12ga and BB guns are louder,  I know thats not really a technical assessment of chamber pressure, but... it doesnt move grass infront of the muzzle, so it's not like its gonna damage anything in the brass or the weapon.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:00:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I fire dented case rounds.  they come out so you cannot tell which were dented.  Even if I have to use the forward assist to finish seating I fire them.  some people wont fire a round if dented on the neck, but that is not where most dents are.  I doubt there is much risk from a primer going off in a garbage truck, unless maybe your neighbor throws away gasoline and oxygen bottles.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:35:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Adding to the fire them opinion.  Have always done that.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:35:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry, distracted and doubled, I accept my punishment!
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:03:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have a bullet puller for rounds that need to be disposed of - FTF, dented cases, etc.

So I can get the bullet and powder out, leaving the primed case.

Is there a good method to kill the primer so that it won't go bang in the garbage man's compactor?

I've heard of spraying Rem oil or such into the case - is that an effective way of deatcivating the explosive aspect of the primer?  If not oil, something else to ruin the primer?

I know a primer by itself won't do much but if I have a bunch of primed cases, I still don't want them all going pop if I throw them away and they get crunched by the garbage truck.

View Quote

I've heard you can soak them in motor oil to ruin the primers, but I'd just throw the whole lot into a camp fire.  Seriously.  We throw primers into fires all the time.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top