Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2016 2:25:57 PM EDT
I'm finding that this cartridge seems to be growing in use.  I'm putting one together simply because I had a total shoulder replacement and was told to lay off heavy recoil rifles until the bone and ceramic meld together.  6.5 G will give me a nice long range rifle.  However, I'm cheating I have 7 other AR's so will experiment with 80 and 85 grain 5.56 also.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:07:00 PM EDT
[#2]
The 6.5 Grendel is very versatile depending on job at hand.  If going after varmints 85 grain Sierra Varmint, 90 grain Speer TNT, 95 grain V-Max.  For bigger animals like cyotoes and wolves the 100 grain Sierra varmint and the 100 grain Nosler hunting ballistic tips.   For deer, antelope and hogs any of the cup and core 120-123 grain bullets are effective.  The Hornady SST and A-Max have .510 G-1 BC and not far behind are the 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip Hunting bullet.  For shorter range the 120 grain Sierra Pro Hunter holds together pretty good.  For bigger game there is the 100 grain and 125 grain Nosler Partitions, 100 grain Barnes TTX, TTSX and Barnes 120 grain TSX, TTSX and Hornady GMX.  Nosler also has the E-Tip and 139 ABLR (accu bond long range) which is supposed to expand down to 1300 FPS.  Burger also sells a 130 grain VLD hunting bullet.  

Use bfoosh06 link but the 6.5 Grendel can be used for a variety of task if you reload or need factory Ammo.  Hornady sells factory 123 grain SST & A-MAX, Federal sells the 120 grain SMK American Eagle, Prvi Partizan sells the 120 grain HP BT and 110 grain FMJ, Wolf sells the 120 grain MPT (Multi Purpose Tactical) loaded by PPU, plus Wolf sells the steel cased 100 grain FMJ loaded by Branual.  Alexander Arms and Precision Firearms also sell hunting and target ammunition.  Lapua, Norma/Nosler, Hornady, and PPU sell virgin brass.

Check out this youtube channel for real world hunting experience with the 6.5 Grendel.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=RoLuYE1n4pU
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:56:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you all so much.  I'm quite excited that I can still do a reasonable amount of long range shooting. I'm old but still enjoy trying to hit something  The new ceramic shoulder has absolutely no pain but I don't want to shoot a heavy caliber and have my new green bones pop out.  It would scare everyone on the firing line.  (oh, piss on M113s)
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top