User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 7:19:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Please let us know if you are getting any pierced primers.

I got a case in 2 or 3 weekso ago and just tried to fire some today.  I had 3 FTFs out of 5 rounds, and I just stopped. I have a RRA LAR-15 with the 2 stage trigger.

I feel weird about putting the 7.62 firing pin in my guname, but if it doesn't cause pierced primers, then I'll get over the weirdness.

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 7:36:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Bad experiences here.  Short strokes, inconsistent strikes.  Wolf Gold is a better option.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 7:04:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Please let us know if you are getting any pierced primers.

I got a case in 2 or 3 weekso ago and just tried to fire some today.  I had 3 FTFs out of 5 rounds, and I just stopped. I have a RRA LAR-15 with the 2 stage trigger.

I feel weird about putting the 7.62 firing pin in my guname, but if it doesn't cause pierced primers, then I'll get over the weirdness.

View Quote

I have the enhanced firing pin from Black Rifle Arms and it works like a charm on the GT ammo and has no pierced primers on 6 different kinds of "normal" ammo. If you're looking for a sure bet firing pin, get theirs. I was just curious if the RedX Arms firing pin was also safe on standard primers.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 10:44:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Tried it in 2 guns, mostly because I don't want to send it back. Both guns have previously been willing to digest all common ammo, from tula to wolf gold, to ZQI to PMC and anything else commonly found online and in stores.

DPMS upper with standard firing pin and velocity trigger: 0 fires of 5 rounds. Changed to Black Rifle Arms enhanced firing pin, fired 3 of 5 rounds and all 5 of the previously dented rounds.

Del-Ton upper with standard firing pin and mil-spec (?) trigger group: 3 fires of 5 rounds. Black Rifle Arms firing pin: 5 fired of 5 plus 2 previously dented rounds and another 20 straight.

I will be keeping this batch and shooting it in this one rifle. Not buying it again unless this problem gets sorted out on the manufacturing end. Not really a steel case fan, but this was looking good for trading stock/grandkid supply.

Sticking with brass cased Wolf for shooting/storing for now I think.

And special thanks to SGAmmo for offering to buy it back and take the loss. They are my first preference for ammo shopping without a doubt. E-mailed the owner on a day that they were closed and had a response the same day. That goes a long way toward getting my loyalty. And their prices are hard to beat. And they have a lot of stuff in stock. And they tell you if it is in stock and don't backorder you. And they don't cancel your order and then tell you the next day that it is back in stock and jack the price 50%. Things like that.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 3:24:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I had 1000 rounds of GT ordered.  SGAmmo both called and emailed me with the same message:  people were having problems with hard primer issues and they would either ship the GT, or replace my order with another product.  I elected to substitute another ammo.  I would hate to admit how much money I have spent with SGAmmo in the past, but their way of addressing this problem makes me sure that I was doing business with the right people.  Their shipping, prices, and product selection have always been tops.  Now we know how they handle the tough times.  Thanks to SG.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 12:59:14 AM EDT
[#6]
This is why I buy from SGammo. You guys are awesome.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 11:54:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I purchased the firing pin from Black Rifle Arms and it didn't work any better for me.  I am sending my GT back on Monday.  Was really wanting to be able to keep it, but it doesn't fire 70% of the time.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 10:37:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd love to have some of this to try in my Saiga 223.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 7:47:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Any pierced primers with the RedX firing pin?
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 10:53:29 AM EDT
[#10]
This sucks cuz I feel like GT x39 was really good ammo when I was buying it 7-8 years ago.

I love high quality steel case .223 and no that's not an oxymoron. Would've liked to see this stuff work out.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 4:37:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I got some range time in yesterday and brought 500 of my 1000 rounds of Golden Tiger. I felt confident as I had installed the Red X enhanced firing pin and was using a new ALG ACT Trigger with the full power springs.  

I was sorely disappointed. 16 of the 20 rounds recommended to shoot failed to light on the first strike. Most had a large dent in the primer, but it would not light. Some took a second strike while others took a third strike to fire. I did fire other .223 ammo with no issues on the primers. I hate to say it. But I will be sending this ammo back.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 5:45:18 PM EDT
[#12]
[Jump To Reply]Quoted:
just ran 120 rounds through my Rock River Arms ATH today.
installed the enhanced firing pin:
http://shop.redxarms.com/ENHANCED-FIRING-PIN-FOR-762-X-39-AND-545-X-39-BCGS-EFIRINGPIN.htm
zero FTF's
it shot well also.
bob

Did you try the RedXArms firing pin with any other kinds of ammo to check for pierced primers? Thanks.

just got back from a 200 round session.
Wolf gold and geco 55 gr. target rounds.
all fired and ejected fine with no pierced primers from my RRA ATH,
no other mods but the firing pin.
bob    
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 8:28:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm a noob. How bad is a pierced primer? Ordered 2k of the GT For my bumpsaw.  It's still at the gunsmith, but I'm going to try another rifle tomorrow and see how we go. Might give the firing pin mod a try before I do anything.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 5:00:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm a noob. How bad is a pierced primer? Ordered 2k of the GT For my bumpsaw.  It's still at the gunsmith, but I'm going to try another rifle tomorrow and see how we go. Might give the firing pin mod a try before I do anything.
View Quote

Pierced primers can burn the firing pin and the bolt face. One or two won't do it, depending on the severity of the piercing, but several can. Either way, it's something to be avoided.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 11:21:50 AM EDT
[#15]
I have been out to my range a few times since installing the enhanced firing pin.  I have fired .223 Freedom Munitions, Fiocchi, Wolf Gold, and Federal.  I didn't have any problems with pierced primers with those rounds.

Just sent my GT back yesterday.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 12:18:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It turns out that the factory changed the formula on this ammo, and used a primer that is normally used in 5.45x39 mil-spec ammo instead of sourcing the commercial primer from Tula. The primer used is harder, and would require a longer than stock firing pin and a heaver than stock hammer spring to work perfect in most AR15s
View Quote

I know it's not your fault, but this is the problem when dealing with foreign ammo makers.  They do not realize that American consumers have a vast selection of ammunition to choose from and do not place a high priority on quality control.  They substitute primers, powder, and projectiles willy nilly with no thought to product consistency or performance. Like the Red Army Standard Corrosive primer debacle and IIRC Brown Bear before, they think nothing of stamping the box "Non Corrosive" then going ahead and using corrosive primers because that is what they happened to have on hand that day. Golden Tiger is doing damage to their brand that used to be known for impeccable quality and consistency.

Thanks SGA for taking care of your customers even though the mistake was made half a world away.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 2:07:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Not all foreign makers are like that. Prvi, Fiocchi, PMC, IMI etc are all really good IMO.

But yes the Russians are not exactly known for quality control.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:10:02 PM EDT
[#18]
just noticed that this is on sale again at SG with a warning notice about the primers.
going for 16 cents a round, (1000 round, loose pack)
it shoots perfect in my AR (Rock River ATH) with the enhanced firing pin.
thought someone may want to know.
bob  

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:21:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Damn this is a shame

I really hope Vympel tries this again with a proper primer,I would have liked to stash a few cases of quality lacquered/sealed ammo for the future..

Kudos to SGAmmo for they way they were on top of this
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:26:05 PM EDT
[#20]
never mind, they're are all gone!
there were over 100 cases yesterday.
bob  
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:37:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:58:30 PM EDT
[#22]
there's 22 cases up there right now!
(no, i don't work for SG)
bob  
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 8:19:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Sam

I was tempted to place an order just on principle but then I remembered I have a case of .30-06 for my M1 enroute from you
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 8:04:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Damn this is a shame
I really hope Vympel tries this again with a proper primer,I would have liked to stash a few cases of quality lacquered/sealed ammo for the future..

View Quote

What's wrong with Brown Bear for that?
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 6:44:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Has anyone had issues with this ammo in 223 ak's or galil's?
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 7:26:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Has anyone had issues with this ammo in 223 ak's or galil's?
View Quote

Thanks... Made me realize I have a reason to buy some now.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 3:04:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Received my GT loose packed "as is"ammo Thursday, 1000 rds and shot it yesterday.  My carbine had both the XP pin and spring, ran 100%, no FTFs.    Very happy, oh and no pierced primers on my other .223/5.56 ammo.

I also had a carbine w/just the XP firing pin and I had several FTFs, maybe 25%.  It takes both to be completely reliable in my case.

It looks like the primers are good, just damn hard.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 2:44:55 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn this is a shame

Absolutely nothing,I've had nothing but positive experiences with lacquer coated Brown Bear and do have several cases of it put away but I just dont seem to find it as often as I used too.

I love the 7.62x39 GT and was hoping the .223 offering was at the same level,as I had high hopes of finding another round to stash.

Link Posted: 9/6/2016 8:12:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Absolutely nothing,I've had nothing but positive experiences with lacquer coated Brown Bear and do have several cases of it put away but I just dont seem to find it as often as I used too.

I love the 7.62x39 GT and was hoping the .223 offering was at the same level,as I had high hopes of finding another round to stash.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn this is a shame

My feeling exactly. Really wish Vympel hadn't dropped the ball on the .223 loading.

SG usually has BB for around $110/500.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 4:06:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Tested some today:

• Standard Firing Pin and Standard Hammer Spring: all good hits and all failed to fire

• Enhanced Firing Pin and Standard Hammer Spring: 13 fired, 2 with good hits that didn't fire

• Enhanced Firing Pin and Reduced Hammer Spring: 8 fired, 7 with good hits that didn't fire

• Enhanced Firing Pin and Extra Power Hammer Spring: 15 fired, additional 15 from above tests that didn't fire originally fired with this configuration

Fired an additional 20 with EFP and EXP spring for sighting in and all fired.  It seems that this is the setup needed for full function.  I will continue testing and throw in a standard firing pin and extra power hammer spring next as well as a RRA 2-stage and JP using the EFP.  I also fired a handful of 223 and 556 brass rounds to check the primer strikes - all looked good with no perforations.  Only 70 rounds fired this trip and I used the shortest EFP out of the 6 I ordered (3.288).  
Had decent 5 round groups at 50 yards with a tired Bushy using A1 large aperture from the bench without a bag.  After another couple of hundred rounds I will feel a little better.  I am happy overall and think I will order some more but don't like the feel of this trigger setup - most of the my rigs have good triggers which probably won't work reliably with this ammo.  Probably just relegate it to plinking with a certain setup or two - still good for range practice and a step up from practicing with the 22lr conversions.
As a side note I found out that the CavArms lower didn't like a couple of polymer or aluminum mags when performing type 1 malfunction clearances.  During the rack/flip the mag could come out (tap/tug was OK).  Maybe my finger was resting on the mag release button but I don't think so.  Adjusted the mag release button but that didn't help so I either have a bad mag catch or the mag well has too much play in it (it is an older lower and allows the mag to move around some so I am thinking that could be it).  Good to know as it didn't exhibit any issues in normal firing, loading or unloading.

Link Posted: 9/16/2016 9:33:18 PM EDT
[#31]
I just use the enhanced fp and might get a ftf every 50 rounds. This is with a couple different  rifles. Ordered another 6k tonight.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 10:56:46 PM EDT
[#32]
I've ordered from SGAmmo numerous times in the past with great service.  Never did I realize how great you really are!  When a company is willing to eat big bucks to uphold their reputation, that is rare indeed!  Sam, I didn't know your name till now, but you can count on me to recommend your company to all my shooting friends, as well as being my Tier 1 go-to for ammo!  That is truly outstanding service!
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 12:57:44 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Tested some today:

• Standard Firing Pin and Standard Hammer Spring: all good hits and all failed to fire

• Enhanced Firing Pin and Standard Hammer Spring: 13 fired, 2 with good hits that didn't fire

• Enhanced Firing Pin and Reduced Hammer Spring: 8 fired, 7 with good hits that didn't fire

• Enhanced Firing Pin and Extra Power Hammer Spring: 15 fired, additional 15 from above tests that didn't fire originally fired with this configuration

Fired an additional 20 with EFP and EXP spring for sighting in and all fired.  It seems that this is the setup needed for full function.  I will continue testing and throw in a standard firing pin and extra power hammer spring next as well as a RRA 2-stage and JP using the EFP.  I also fired a handful of 223 and 556 brass rounds to check the primer strikes - all looked good with no perforations.  Only 70 rounds fired this trip and I used the shortest EFP out of the 6 I ordered (3.288).  
Had decent 5 round groups at 50 yards with a tired Bushy using A1 large aperture from the bench without a bag.  After another couple of hundred rounds I will feel a little better.  I am happy overall and think I will order some more but don't like the feel of this trigger setup - most of the my rigs have good triggers which probably won't work reliably with this ammo.  Probably just relegate it to plinking with a certain setup or two - still good for range practice and a step up from practicing with the 22lr conversions.
As a side note I found out that the CavArms lower didn't like a couple of polymer or aluminum mags when performing type 1 malfunction clearances.  During the rack/flip the mag could come out (tap/tug was OK).  Maybe my finger was resting on the mag release button but I don't think so.  Adjusted the mag release button but that didn't help so I either have a bad mag catch or the mag well has too much play in it (it is an older lower and allows the mag to move around some so I am thinking that could be it).  Good to know as it didn't exhibit any issues in normal firing, loading or unloading.

View Quote
No go on the extra power spring and standard firing pin.  I ended up
with 8 of 15 fired.  That pin is 3.277 long.  I replaced the EFP and all
7 of those round fired along with another 30.  I was going to try the
RRA 2-stage but it didn't drop right in and I didn't have an extra
safety selector to try so that will wait for another trip.

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 12:32:42 AM EDT
[#34]

thanks!
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 6:33:46 PM EDT
[#35]
I bought the red x firing pin, works great was like $10. I also modified a spare fp for my RDB to have more protrusion and it works 100%. The xp spring is necessary for 100% reliability in AR's but one of mine is around 95% with the standard spring not a big deal in training ammo amd it always goes off the second time.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 7:26:43 AM EDT
[#36]
I've been using the Redx extended firing pin in my BumpSAW's for over a year. I've seen no pierced primer issues.

I just saw this stuff at SGammo yesterday and bought a couple cases. I think I'll be very happy with it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:42:57 AM EDT
[#37]

I test fired some of this last night.  Went 10 for 10 with RedX firing pin and stock Geissele S2S trigger and spring.

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:36:51 PM EDT
[#38]
After getting the 1st 2 cases regular price, 22 cents/rd, I had been buying the heck out of the stuff at the discounted price for the returns (16cents/rd) once i realized that with a enhanced FP and XP Wolff Hammer sprpings I would get 100% function.

SGAmmo seems out of the returned ammo.. havent seen it up in weeks.

Hopefully GT in 223 will come back eventually even if its at 22 cents/rd again (even though it will be a long time until I need more ammo... )
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:09:37 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm still getting about 5% light strikes with enhanced pin and spring in an ar15. Surprisingly my steyr aug eats this stuff up though, I had 1 in 200 rnds.

I'm happy as I knew it could cause problems going in. Its strictly plinking ammo at this point.

I wonder how dumb the Russians have to be to produce ammo of this quality. It shouldn't take that much force to set off a primer. It literally crushes em and still has occasional duds.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top