Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2016 11:16:28 AM EDT
I am curious on how you calculate bullet drop when you are zeored for one round but use another?

Example:

110g 300bo 50 yard zero.  Now I use a 150g round.  How do I know the difference between these 2 rounds and their POI?  Its easy to see a chart with drops but thats based on the zero for that round.  Do you have to figure out if a 110g in zeord at 50 yards then a 150g with that zero is zeored at 60 yards?  Then go back and run the chart?
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 11:42:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am curious on how you calculate bullet drop when you are zeored for one round but use another?

Example:

110g 300bo 50 yard zero.  Now I use a 150g round.  How do I know the difference between these 2 rounds and their POI?  Its easy to see a chart with drops but thats based on the zero for that round.  Do you have to figure out if a 110g in zeord at 50 yards then a 150g with that zero is zeored at 60 yards?  Then go back and run the chart?
View Quote

Ballistic Calculator on your phone such as:

STRELOK BALLISTIC CALCULATOR

You can store the various loads/caliber/coefficients/reticles, etc then recall as needed.
The one mentioned above will display graphic POI through reticle and numerical table.
Plug in one, then the other and compare.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 12:03:38 PM EDT
[#2]

I think your forgetting that the two different loads will have entirely different POI.  It won't just include up/down changes but may also include some side to side movement.

First you need to zero your scope for your primary load.  Reset your turrets to zero.  Then shoot a group of your secondary load.  For example, zero your first load at 100 yards and zero it. Then shoot your secondary load, let's say it impacts .4mil up and .3mil right.  We would then need to dial the scope down .4mil and left .3mil for point of aim to equal point of impact on the second load.

We can then run our ballistic calculations for both loads.  On the first load, everything on the table is right on.  On the second load, you need to subtract .4mil from every elevation adjustment and dial an extra .3mil left for every windage adjustment.

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 12:04:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Sight in & zero for your baseline everyday load, then test all the other rounds (5-shot groups) for POI & drop at various yards then again with turret come-ups or with hold overs.

Then compare to the ballistic programs to see if they are close to what you get in the field.

Make a drop/ holdover table and put it in a clear plastic adhesive envelope (aka shipping manifest) -stick to your stock.

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top