Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2016 1:14:54 PM EDT
Please delete if not allowed.  If you do not want to see medical X-rays with a patient with suspected unexploded ordinance, DO NOT LOOK!

Was contacted by Walter Reed Medical by a Radiologist about using some of my pics of sectioned cartridges in a medical report.  They over laid a picture of a sectioned 7.62x39 on top of an X-ray for a positive identification.  It will be FREE for 4 weeks on PDF, these are the 2 web sites.

They found me through AR15.COM !!!!!!!   Best site Ever!

Thanks for looking, Wolfgang

http://www.springer.com/home?SGWID=0-0-1003-0-0&aqId=3067415&download=1&checkval=fa5114e929b8d74631b30370ea2a7c5c

http://www.springer.com/-/0/AVVbTiJgpYBn3CnhcIYe

Link Posted: 6/20/2016 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Please delete if not allowed.  If you do not want to see medical X-rays with a patient with suspected unexploded ordinance ordnance, DO NOT LOOK!

Was contacted by Walter Reed Medical by a Radiologist about using some of my pics of sectioned cartridges in a medical report.  They over laid a picture of a sectioned 7.62x39 on top of an X-ray for a positive identification.  It will be FREE for 4 weeks on PDF, these are the 2 web sites.

http://www.springer.com/home?SGWID=0-0-1003-0-0&aqId=3067415&download=1&checkval=fa5114e929b8d74631b30370ea2a7c5c

View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 3:24:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe I'm just ignorant, but exactly what is "unexploded"?

(in those photos)
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 7:47:24 PM EDT
[#3]
EXCELLENT !!!

Glad to see some real-world use come from our odd hobby of cutting cartridges in half...

1DD
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 9:44:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll take "informal archive" as a label.  Excellent stuff.

I like the article's author's take on "this doesn't look like the crap we usually find, so what if it's not what we usually find?"  Doctors are really good at making odd patterns fit together.  When a pattern doesn't fit, like maybe these weren't the usual bullets, but maybe something new, a good doctor digs in to find out what's going on.  And a military physician isn't going to be all squeamish about looking for a reference to compare what he sees in the ER to, either.

Bravo, Wolfgang!
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 12:44:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

(in those photos)
View Quote

This. I'm unaware of any 7.62x39 explosive projectile. But that may well be ignorance on my part.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:06:12 AM EDT
[#6]
What blows my mind it the fact that this paper got all the way to being published without being questioned.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:42:56 AM EDT
[#7]
That's quite an accomplishment. Bravo wolf
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:27:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Very Cool.
Skimmed it for now, have it for later perusal.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 11:42:43 AM EDT
[#9]
There are explosive bullets out there, we know they are rare, doctors don't, but they are apparently concerned about them.

So there is some learning to be done on their part, the paper was part of that learning, relying upon Mr. Gross's work and this unofficial repository.

Very interesting.  Commendable that Mr. Gross's work was suitable for research.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 3:41:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

(in those photos)
View Quote

Nothing, the point was at the very end of the paper, which is that while medical manuals recommend watching out for UXO in patients, they provide no guidance on what they actually look like.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 12:28:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Nothing, the point was at the very end of the paper, which is that while medical manuals recommend watching out for UXO in patients, they provide no guidance on what they actually look like.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(in those photos)

Understood. Yes, that would be a nasty surprise. And I second the congratulations on having your good work cited as a reference.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 10:57:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

FIFY
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Please delete if not allowed.  If you do not want to see medical X-rays with a patient with suspected unexploded ordinance ordnance, DO NOT LOOK!

FIFY

Yet it's misspelled in the title and throughout the article.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 5:16:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 2:41:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Very nice !  Some one knew where to look for Wolfgangross's info.

Interesting to me that a  "military medical treatment facility" wouldn't all ready know this, or have that info at their disposal.
View Quote

Military docs aren't really ordnance-oriented, let alone "this is what this type of projectile does in tissue" oriented.  On the other hand, in the paper they do point out that "that didn't look like what we've seen before," which says to me they're being typical physicians, going with familiar patterns most of the time, and then noticing something out of the ordinary when it didn't look right.  You don't need to know what the car that ran over a leg looked like to know what a run over leg looks like, but if that leg looks "different," then you start wondering what the heck ran over it...
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 1:10:07 AM EDT
[#15]
That looks like it hurt.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top