AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 2:16:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Some lots of 855 are very accurate.  Most are not.  Some are so bad that they get a waiver and are stamped training use only.  Comes in cardboard boxes of 1800 rounds.  

I saw one lot that was accurate, well under 1 MOA out of multiple M-4s on a measured 100 meter range during a qualification with ACOGs.  Multiple shooters had groups during zero that were 3/4 of an inch.  

It is the only time I have ever seen that with green tip.  

Generally, it seems to be around 2 MOA with a good shooter and good weapon.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OK...... but no specific accuracy testing?
What specific groups did you shoot?

The OP wants to know if M855 will shoot under 1.5MOA in a bolt gun.......

Some lots of 855 are very accurate.  Most are not.  Some are so bad that they get a waiver and are stamped training use only.  Comes in cardboard boxes of 1800 rounds.  

I saw one lot that was accurate, well under 1 MOA out of multiple M-4s on a measured 100 meter range during a qualification with ACOGs.  Multiple shooters had groups during zero that were 3/4 of an inch.  

It is the only time I have ever seen that with green tip.  

Generally, it seems to be around 2 MOA with a good shooter and good weapon.  

I have seen the same as FedDC.  Some lots (though rare) are unusually accurate.  In a good quality and condition AR15/M16, 2 MOA or a tad bigger is not unusual.  BUT, Lake City M855 is very inconsistent.  I have never been able to figure out how to buy the "best" Lake City.  It is a lot better now days than it was when I first started shooting it back in 2008.  It was about as bad a M193 at 4MOA.  

The best M855 (if you can call it that) is PMC XTAC.  Their bullets are a solid 2 MOA'ish and the lot to lot consistency is MUCH better than Lake City.  I rarely have to re zero using PMC XTAC,  not so with Lake City.

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 2:19:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So, I might get some shooting in today.

I will shoot the 5x5 (5 five round groups) at 100m with:

69gr FGMM (to verify accuracy of the rifle, an 16" Noveske 1:7" bbl)
M855A1
LC M855
PPU M855
62gr Speer GDSP

Look for a pic dump tomorrow, if it happens.  
View Quote

Would you happen to have the BC for the M855A1?  I may get a chance to shoot some and would like to prepare my Ballistics App.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 2:34:24 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Would you happen to have the BC for the M855A1?  I may get a chance to shoot some and would like to prepare my Ballistics App.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

M855A1

LC M855

PPU M855

62gr Speer GDSP

G7 - .371

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 2:35:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Molon,

have you tested anymore M855 or M193 rounds since you made those charts?  I use them all the time (esp the combo M855/M193 one) and it would be great if you had more data points to add

View Quote

PMC 5.56mm 62 Grain X-TAC Ammunition

PMC’s 62 grain X-TAC ammunition is loaded in brass cases that have the annealing iris still visible.  The 62 grain projectile  has a copper jacket construction with a lead core and a steel insert in the ogive.  The tip of the bullet is painted green.  The case mouth is taper crimped into the cannelure of the bullet and the case-mouth is sealed with asphalt sealant.  

The boxer primers are sealed and crimped and the load is charged with “ball” powder.

(The individual squares in the red grid below are 1/10th of an inch.)

After reading the above description of this PMC ammunition, some of you might be thinking, “I wonder how this ammunition compares to M855?”  So, let’s compare!

The US mil-spec for M855 (MIL-C-63989C [Amendment 4]) states that the average velocity of the cartridges “shall be 3,020 feet per second (fps) plus or minus 40 fps at 78 feet from the muzzle of the weapon. The standard deviation of the velocity shall not exceed 40 fps.”  This specification is for a 20” barrel and depending upon variables equates to a muzzle velocity of approximately 3105 FPS (plus or minus 40 FPS.)

As an aside, after reading the above specification, some of you may be wondering, “Why 78 feet from the muzzle?”  The answer to that question is that this specification is simply an historical hold-over from the days when “circuit” chronographs (e.g. Le Boulenge Chronograph and the Aberdeen Chronograph) were used at Aberdeen Proving Ground, Frankford Arsenal and Springfield Armory.  These types of chronographs required a significant distance between their first and second screens to produce accurate results.

As an example, when using the Boulenge Chronograph, the first screen of the chronograph was placed 3 feet in front of the muzzle and the second screen was placed 150 feet beyond the first screen.  For those of you who might not be aware of the following fact; chronographs determine the velocity of the bullet at a point that is midway between the first and the second screen (i.e. not at the location of the first screen).  Therefore, with the above spacing, the velocity of the bullet is determined for a point that is 75 feet from the first screen.  So, add the three feet (from the muzzle to the first screen) to the 75 feet (the midway point of the screens) to obtain the “78 feet from the muzzle” distance.

I chronographed the PMC 62 grain X-TAC ammunition from a semi-automatic AR-15 with a chrome-lined, NATO chambered 20” Colt M16A2 barrel.

Chronographing was conducted using an Oehler 35-P chronograph with “proof screen” technology. The Oehler 35P chronograph is actually two chronographs in one package that takes two separate chronograph readings for each shot and then has its onboard computer analyze the data to determine if there is any statistically significant difference between the two readings.  If there is a difference, the chronograph “flags” the shot to let you know that the data is invalid.  There was no invalid data flagged during this testing.

The velocity stated below is the muzzle velocity as calculated from the instrumental velocity using Oehler’s Ballistic Explorer software program. The string of fire consisted of 10 rounds over the chronograph.

Each round was single-loaded and cycled into the chamber from a magazine fitted with a single-load follower. The bolt locked-back after each shot allowing the chamber to cool in between each shot. This technique was used to mitigate the possible influence of “chamber-soak” on velocity data. Each new shot was fired in a consistent manner after hitting the bolt release.  Atmospheric conditions were monitored and recorded using a Kestrel 4000 Pocket Weather Tracker.

Atmospheric conditions

Temperature:  78 degrees F
Humidity:  54%
Barometric pressure:  29.99 inches of Hg
Elevation:  950 feet above sea level

The muzzle velocity for the 10-shot string of the PMC 62 grain X-TAC ammunition fired from the 20” Colt barrel was 3073 FPS with a standard deviation of 14 FPS and a coefficient of variation of 0.46%.  For comparison, IMI M855 chronographed from the same 20” Colt barrel had a muzzle velocity of 3110 FPS with a standard deviation of 21 FPS and a coefficient of variation of 0.68%.

For those of you who might not be familiar with the coefficient of variation (CV), it is the standard deviation, divided by the mean (average) muzzle velocity and then multiplied by 100 and expressed as a percentage. It allows for the comparison of the uniformity of velocity between loads in different velocity spectrums; e.g. 77 grain loads running around 2,650 fps compared to 55 grain loads running around 3,250 fps.  

For comparison, the US mil-spec for M855 allows for a coefficient of variation of up to approximately 1.3%, while one of my best 77 grain OTM hand-loads, with a muzzle velocity of 2639 PFS and a standard deviation of 4 FPS, has a coefficient of variation of 0.15%.

….

The accuracy specification from the US mil-spec for M855 (MIL-C-63989C) states that the average vertical standard deviation and the average horizontal standard deviation shall be “no greater than 1.8 inches at 200 yards using an indoor range.”* The accuracy testing is conducted using machine rested, bolt-action, heavy test barrels.  All other things being equal (which of course they seldom are) this accuracy specification equates to an average vertical standard deviation and an average horizontal standard deviation of 0.9 inches at 100 yards (the distance at which I evaluated the accuracy of the PMC 62 grain X-TAC ammunition.)

I conducted an accuracy (technically, precision) evaluation of the PMC 62 grain X-TAC ammunition following my usual protocol.  This accuracy evaluation used statistically significant shot-group sizes and every single shot in a fired group was included in the measurements. There was absolutely no use of any Group Reduction Techniques (e.g. fliers, target movement, Butterfly Shots).

The shooting set-up will be described in detail below. As many of the significant variables as was practicable were controlled for. Also, a control group was fired from the test-rifle used in the evaluation using match-grade, hand-loaded ammunition; in order to demonstrate the capability of the barrel. Pictures of shot-groups are posted for documentation.

All shooting was conducted from a concrete bench-rest from a distance of 100 yards (confirmed with a laser rangefinder.) The barrel used in the evaluation was free-floated. The free-float handguards of the rifle rested in a Sinclair Windage Benchrest, while the stock of the rifle rested in a Protektor bunny-ear rear bag. Sighting was accomplished via a Leupold VARI-X III set at 25X magnification and adjusted to be parallax-free at 100 yards. A mirage shade was attached to the objective-bell of the scope. Wind conditions on the shooting range were continuously monitored using a Wind Probe. The set-up was very similar to that pictured below.

The Wind Probe.

The test vehicle for this evaluation was one of my semi-automatic precision AR-15s with a 20” stainless-steel Lothar Walther barrel.  The barrel has a 223 Wylde chamber with a 1:8” twist.  Prior to firing the 62 grain X-TAC ammunition, I fired a 10-shot control group using hand-loads topped with a 62 grain OTM bullet.  That group had an extreme spread of 0.83”.

Next, three 10-shot groups of the 62 grain X-TAC load were fired in a row with the resulting extreme spreads:

2.76”
2.24”
3.07”

for a 10-shot group average extreme spread of 2.69”.  The average horizontal standard deviation was 0.66” and the average vertical standard deviation was 0.76”.  The three 10-shot groups were over-layed on each other using RSI Shooting Lab to form a 30-shot composite group.  The mean radius for the 30-shot composite group was 0.88”.

The smallest 10-shot group . . .

The 30-shot composite group . . .

….

* There is also a 600 yard accuracy specification for M855, that is greater than the mathematical equivalent of the 200 yard specification.

Wolf Gold 55 grain FMJ

When most shooters hear the phrase “Wolf ammunition,” what usually comes to mind is steel-cased rounds loaded with bi-metal jacketed bullets.  Fortunately, the 55 grain FMJ “Wolf Gold” ammunition that is manufactured in Taiwan does not fit this description.  

The Wolf Gold ammunition reviewed for this report uses brass cases with the annealing iris still visible and is loaded with typical copper jacketed/lead core bullets.  The 55 grain projectile has a cannelure and there is a collet crimp at the case mouth.  The case mouth is also sealed with asphalt sealant.  The brass case has crimped and sealed boxer primers and the round is charged with ball powder.

When most shooters hear the phrase “55 grain FMJ,” what usually comes to mind is M193 ammunition. The velocity specification for M193 as cited in MIL-C-9963F states:

The average velocity of the sample cartridges, conditioned at 72 degrees, plus or minus 2 degrees Fahrenheit (F), shall be 3165 feet per second (ft/sec), plus or minus 40 ft/sec, at 75 feet from the muzzle of the weapon.  The standard deviation of the velocities shall not exceed 40 ft/sec.

The specification is for a 20” barrel.  Depending on multiple variables, this velocity specification equates to a muzzle velocity of approximately 3270 FPS, plus or minus 40 FPS.  I chronographed the Wolf Gold 55 grain FMJ ammunition from a semi-automatic AR-15 with a chrome-lined, NATO chambered 20” Colt M16A2 barrel.

Chronographing was conducted using an Oehler 35-P chronograph with “proof screen” technology. The Oehler 35P chronograph is actually two chronographs in one package that takes two separate chronograph readings for each shot and then has its onboard computer analyze the data to determine if there is any statistically significant difference between the two readings.  If there is, the chronograph “flags” the shot to let you know that the data is invalid.  There was no invalid data flagged during this testing.

The velocity stated below is the muzzle velocity as calculated from the instrumental velocity using Oehler’s Ballistic Explorer software program. The string of fire consisted of 10 rounds over the chronograph.

Each round was single-loaded and cycled into the chamber from a magazine fitted with a single-load follower. The bolt locked-back after each shot allowing the chamber to cool in between each shot. This technique was used to mitigate the possible influence of “chamber-soak” on velocity data. Each new shot was fired in a consistent manner after hitting the bolt release.  Atmospheric conditions were monitored and recorded using a Kestrel 4000 Pocket Weather Tracker.

The muzzle velocity for the 10-shot string of the Wolf Gold 55 grain FMJ ammunition was 3213 FPS with a standard deviation of 25 FPS. For comparison, IMI M193 had a muzzle velocity of 3274 FPS when fired from the same barrel, with a standard deviation of 18 FPS.

Atmospheric conditions.

Temperature:  77 degrees F
Humidity:  40%
Barometric pressure:  30.12 inches of Hg

The accuracy specification for M193 cited in MIL-C-9963F is as follows:

The average of the mean radii of all targets of the sample cartridges, fired at 200 yards, shall not exceed 2.0 inches.

These averages are from 10-shot groups fired from machine rested, bolt-actioned test barrels, such as the ones pictured below.  All things being equal (which of course they seldom are) this specification equates to a mean radius of 1 inch at 100 yards for 10-shot groups.  

I conducted an accuracy (technically, precision) evaluation of the Wolf Gold 55 grain FMJ ammunition following my usual protocol.  This accuracy evaluation used statistically significant shot-group sizes and every single shot in a fired group was included in the measurements. There was absolutely no use of any Group Reduction Techniques (e.g. fliers, target movement, Butterfly Shots).

The shooting set-up will be described in detail below. As many of the significant variables as was practicable were controlled for. Also, a  control group was fired from the test-rifle used in the evaluation using match-grade, hand-loaded ammunition; in order to demonstrate the capability of the barrel. Pictures of shot-groups are posted for documentation.

All shooting was conducted from a concrete bench-rest from a distance of 100 yards (confirmed with a laser rangefinder.) The barrel used in the evaluation was free-floated. The free-float handguards of the rifle rested in a Sinclair Windage Benchrest, while the stock of the rifle rested in a Protektor bunny-ear rear bag. Sighting was accomplished via a Leupold VARI-X III set at 25X magnification and adjusted to be parallax-free at 100 yards. A mirage shade was attached to the objective-bell of the scope. Wind conditions on the shooting range were continuously monitored using a Wind Probe. The set-up was very similar to that pictured below.

The Wind Probe.

The test vehicle for this evaluation was one of my semi-automatic precision AR-15s with a 20” stainless-steel Lothar Walther barrel.  The barrel has a 223 Wylde chamber with a 1:8” twist.

Prior to firing the Wolf Gold ammunition, I fired a 10-shot control group using match-grade hand-loads topped with the Sierra 55 grain BlitzKing.  That group had an extreme spread of 0.78”.

Next, three 10-shot groups of the Wolf Gold were fired in a row with the resulting extreme spreads:

2.13”
2.60”
2.44”

for a 10-shot group average extreme spread of 2.39”.  The three 10-shot groups were over-layed on each other using RSI Shooting Lab to form a 30-shot composite group.  The mean radius for the 30-shot composite group was 0.76”.

The smallest 10-shot group.

The 30-shot composite group.

….

continued . . .

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 2:36:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Reproducibility

(A Demonstration With IMI M193)

The hallmark of a sound test methodology is being able to repeat a test and arrive at the same conclusion.  As a demonstration of this, I conducted two accuracy evaluations of the most accurate lot of IMI M193 that I've come across, from my bench-rest set-up using a semi-automatic AR-15.

I conducted an accuracy (technically, precision) evaluation of the IMI M193 ammunition following my usual protocol.  This accuracy evaluation used statistically significant shot-group sizes and every single shot in a fired group was included in the measurements. There was absolutely no use of any group reduction techniques (e.g. fliers, target movement, butterfly Shots).

The shooting set-up will be described in detail below. As many of the significant variables as was practicable were controlled for. Also, a  control group was fired from the test-rifle used in the evaluation using match-grade, hand-loaded ammunition; in order to demonstrate the capability of the barrel. Pictures of shot-groups are posted for documentation.

All shooting was conducted from a concrete bench-rest at a distance of 100 yards (confirmed with a laser rangefinder.) The barrel used in the evaluation was free-floated. The free-float handguards of the rifle rested in a Sinclair Windage Benchrest (with the aide of a forend bench-rest adapter), while the stock of the rifle rested in a Protektor bunny-ear rear bag. Sighting was accomplished via a Leupold VARI-X III set at 25X magnification and adjusted to be parallax-free at 100 yards. A mirage shade was attached to the objective-bell of the scope. Wind conditions on the shooting range were continuously monitored using a Wind Probe. The set-up was very similar to that pictured below.

The Wind Probe.

The test vehicle for this evaluation was one of my semi-automatic precision AR-15s with a 20” stainless-steel Lothar Walther barrel.  The barrel has a 223 Wylde chamber with a 1:8” twist.

Prior to firing the IMI M193 ammunition, I fired a 10-shot control group using a hand-load topped with the Sierra 55 grain BlitzKing.  That group had an extreme spread of 0.83”.

Four 10-shot groups of the IMI M193 ammunition were fired in a row with the resulting extreme spreads:

2.73”
1.76”
1.74”
2.03”

for a 10-shot group average extreme spread of 2.07”.  The four 10-shot groups were over-layed on each other using RSI Shooting Lab to form a 40-shot composite group.  The mean radius for the 40-shot composite group was 0.62”.

Next, I repeated the test just as described above.  These four 10-shot groups fired in a row produced extreme spreads of:

2.64”
1.25”
2.43”
2.00”

for a 10-shot group average extreme spread of 2.08”.   These four 10-shot groups were over-layed on each other using RSI Shooting Lab to form a 40-shot composite group.  The mean radius for this 40-shot composite group was 0.66”.

I over-layed all eight of the 10-shot groups on each other using RSI Shooting Lab to form an 80-shot composite group.  The 80-shot composite group had a mean radius of 0.64”

The 80-shot composite group . . .

…..

GECO 223 Remington 55 Grain FMJ Target

This is not your father’s 55 grain FMJ ammunition.  For starters, the 55 grain FMJ projectile loaded in this ammunition has a groove cannelure, instead of a rolled cannelure that is typically found on 55 grain FMJ bullets.  Secondly, the boat-tail on the GECO bullet is longer than that found on typical 55 grain FMJ bullets.

Thirdly, the GECO bullets have some of the most uniform bases I’ve ever seen on bullets in this category.

This ammunition is loaded in brass cases that have the annealing iris still visible.  The cases have sealed primer pockets.  The primer pockets are crimped with three “stab” crimps.  The head-stamp reads: “ GECO  .223  Rem. ”.  The case-mouths are also crimped and sealed.  The ammunition is charged with a short-cut extruded powder.

(The individual squares in the red grid pictured below are one-tenth of an inch.)

Velocity

I chronographed the GECO 223 Remington 55 grain FMJ Target  ammunition from a semi-automatic AR-15 with a chrome-lined, NATO chambered, 20” Colt M16A2 barrel.

Chronographing was conducted using an Oehler 35-P chronograph with “proof screen” technology. The Oehler 35P chronograph is actually two chronographs in one package that takes two separate chronograph readings for each shot and then has its onboard computer analyze the data to determine if there is any statistically significant difference between the two readings.  If there is a difference, the chronograph “flags” the shot to let you know that the data is invalid.  There was no invalid data flagged during this testing.

Atmospheric conditions

Temperature:  78 degrees F
Humidity:  33%
Barometric pressure:  30.05 inches of Hg

The muzzle velocity for the 10-shot string of the GECO 223 Remington 55 grain FMJ Target ammunition fired from the 20” Colt barrel was 3084 FPS with a standard deviation of 26 FPS and a coefficient of variation of 0.84%.  

Accuracy

I conducted an accuracy (technically, precision) evaluation of the GECO 223 Remington 55 grain FMJ Target ammunition following my usual protocol. This accuracy evaluation used statistically significant shot-group sizes and every single shot in a fired group was included in the measurements. There was absolutely no use of any group-reduction techniques (e.g. fliers, target movement, butterfly shots).

The shooting set-up will be described in detail below. As many of the significant variables as was practicable were controlled for. Also, a control group was fired from the test-rifle used in the evaluation using match-grade, hand-loaded ammunition; in order to demonstrate the capability of the barrel. Pictures of shot-groups are posted for documentation.

All shooting was conducted from a concrete bench-rest from a distance of 100 yards (confirmed with a laser rangefinder.) The barrel used in the evaluation was free-floated. The free-float handguards of the rifle rested in a Sinclair Windage Benchrest, while the stock of the rifle rested in a Protektor bunny-ear rear bag. Sighting was accomplished via a Leupold VAR-X III set at a magnification of 25X and adjusted to be parallax-free at 100 yards. A mirage shield was attached to the objective-bell of the scope. Wind conditions on the shooting range were continuously monitored using a Wind Probe. The set-up was very similar to that pictured below.

The Wind Probe.

Prior to firing the GECO 223 Remington 55 grain FMJ Target ammunition, I fired a 10-shot control group using a hand-load topped with the Sierra 77 grain MatchKing.  That group had an extreme spread of 0.81”.

Three 10-shot groups of the GECO 223 Remington 55 grain FMJ Target ammunition were fired in a row with the resulting extreme spreads:

1.71”
1.06”
1.52”

for a 10-shot group average extreme spread of 1.43”. The three 10-shot groups were over-layed on each other using RSI Shooting Lab to form a 30-shot composite group. The mean radius for the 30-shot composite group was 0.47”.

The 30-shot composite group . . .

Lastly, for any Internet Commandos in our viewing audience, here’s a pic of a sub-half-MOA group of the GECO ammunition fired from 100 yards.  The group has an extreme spread of 0.47”.

continued . . .
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 2:39:21 PM EDT
[#6]
SnapShots

American Tactical 5.56 x 45mm 62 grain

This M855 “clone” is charged with ball powder, has crimped and sealed primers, asphalt sealant at the case-mouth and utilizes a 62 grain SS109-type projectile.  This bullet is a full-metal jacket, boat-tailed, cannelured projectile with a steel penetrator insert.

The muzzle velocity of this load was 3077 fps with a standard deviation of 21 fps.  American Tactical claims that this ammunition “is lot tested to assure less than one minute of angle” accuracy at 100 meters.

A 10-shot group of this load fired from an AR-15 with a free-floated, 20” Colt HBAR had an extreme spread of 4.49” and a mean radius of 1.33”.

American Eagle 223 Remington 55 grain FMJ

This load had a muzzle velocity of 3104 FPS with a standard deviation of 23 FPS when fired from the 20" Colt barrel.  A 10-shot group fired from my Lothar-Walther barreled AR-15 at a distance of 100 yards had an extreme spread of 2.4".

Wolf Military Classic 55 Grain FMJ

55 grain bullets loaded in steel cases.  Muzzle velocity of 3009 FPS with a standard deviation of 34 FPS from the 20" Colt barrel.     A 10-shot group fired from a free-floated 16" Colt HBAR at a distance of 100 yards had an extreme spread of 2.82".

PMC Bronze 55 Grain FMJ

I evaluated the accuracy (technically, the precision) of the PMC Bronze 55 grain FMJ ammunition using my 20” stainless-steel Lothar-Walther barreled AR-15.  This barrel has a 223 Wylde chamber with a 1:8” twist.

Three 10-shot groups fired in a row from the bench at a distance of 100 yards had the following extreme spreads:

2.22”
1.82”
2.15”

for a 10-shot average extreme spread of 2.06”.  The 30-shot composite group had a mean radius of 0.72”.

Unfortunately, my cocker spaniel chewed-up my chronograph data for this load.

Winchester Q3131

This load had a muzzle velocity of 3279 FPS with a standard deviation of 24 FPS when chronographed from the 20" Colt barrel.  A 10-shot group fired off the bench at a distance of 100 yards from a free-floated Colt 6721 barrel had an extreme spread of 4.08"

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 2:47:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
G7 - .371  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

M855A1
LC M855
PPU M855
62gr Speer GDSP

G7 - .371  

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 3:12:21 PM EDT
[#8]
My test won't happen today. Got winds su stained at 25mph gusting tO 40.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 4:44:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Molon always a treat to see you work.  Thanks!

Edit:  To correct autocorrect
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 11:42:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Seems like a pretty big target.  4 minutes by 8 minutes (and scoring rings outside the black).

But then all Marines shoot Expert, right?

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz337/R0N_photos/table1targets.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You realize the US M855 is good enough to hit man sized targets out to 500 yards consistently, right? 18 year old girls with only 2 weeks of rifle practice in their lives can shoot 10 out of 10 in the black at 500 yards. Seems good enough to me.

Seems like a pretty big target.  4 minutes by 8 minutes (and scoring rings outside the black).

But then all Marines shoot Expert, right?

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz337/R0N_photos/table1targets.jpg

Like I said, man sized target. And no, some shoot sharpshooter, some shoot marksman, and some don't want to wear their corrective glasses and go UNK (un-qualified).
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 11:56:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Happy:
You are missing the point to these posts........... the question here is can M855 get close to 1.5MOA out of a bolt gun.  That is what the OP asked.
Mcantu brought up the idea that foreign M855 might be more accurate.  
Lazy suggested the inaccuracy of M855 is due to the construction of the bullet. (and indirectly that the foreign stuff might be better due to a better made bullet.)

That the USMC shoots M855 out to 500yds (for now anyways) on silhouettes has little to do with either one of those comments.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It would be helpful if others could do accuracy tests with high quality SS109/M855 loads like the ones I did. My tests seemed to confirm that foreign variants are more accurate than US ones

I could see that.  The dominant limitation (by far) is the bullet.  If someone had more attention to detail in consistency of bullet construction, that would help.  Basically we mas produce little steel cones, call it good enough, and mass produce bullet jackets, call it good enough, then drop the steel tip into the shaped jacket, and then swage some lead into the base.  Making a more uniform barrel or more uniform powder is going to have pretty much no effect on fixing an out of balance bullet, with 3 different materials thermal expansions going on while that bullet is exiting the barrel..

If someone went to trouble to make really uniform jackets, and really uniform cones, and made those tolerances really tight, and then had good care on how the lead base was introduced - maybe even with some bonding agents, I could see bullet design tightening up.  To be honest, I wonder if a copper washed steel jacket might actually be better than a copper one (bringing us back down to just 2 different rates of thermal expansion/properties (steel steel lead).

M855A1 is made pretty much like a ballistic tip, with much more care and tighter tolerances (it appears), so it's not surprising that it's more accurate.

You realize the US M855 is good enough to hit man sized targets out to 500 yards consistently, right? 18 year old girls with only 2 weeks of rifle practice in their lives can shoot 10 out of 10 in the black at 500 yards. Seems good enough to me.

Happy:
You are missing the point to these posts........... the question here is can M855 get close to 1.5MOA out of a bolt gun.  That is what the OP asked.
Lazy suggested the inaccuracy of M855 is due to the construction of the bullet. (and indirectly that the foreign stuff might be better due to a better made bullet.)

That the USMC shoots M855 out to 500yds (for now anyways) on silhouettes has little to do with either one of those comments.  

If I can shoot 4 MOA at 500 yards with an old busted rifle, with iron sights, and with wind, a quality bolt gun with optics at 100 with minimal wind deflection should shoot much better than 4 MOA. How much better? Don't know never had a quality bolt gun in .223. I would guess a lot better though. 1.5 MOA seems like a start.
Sorry if I deviated farther from the topic than others may have.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 1:25:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If I can shoot 4 MOA at 500 yards with an old busted rifle, with iron sights, and with wind, a quality bolt gun with optics at 100 with minimal wind deflection should shoot much better than 4 MOA. How much better? Don't know never had a quality bolt gun in .223. I would guess a lot better though. 1.5 MOA seems like a start.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It would be helpful if others could do accuracy tests with high quality SS109/M855 loads like the ones I did. My tests seemed to confirm that foreign variants are more accurate than US ones

I could see that.  The dominant limitation (by far) is the bullet.  If someone had more attention to detail in consistency of bullet construction, that would help.  Basically we mas produce little steel cones, call it good enough, and mass produce bullet jackets, call it good enough, then drop the steel tip into the shaped jacket, and then swage some lead into the base.  Making a more uniform barrel or more uniform powder is going to have pretty much no effect on fixing an out of balance bullet, with 3 different materials thermal expansions going on while that bullet is exiting the barrel..

If someone went to trouble to make really uniform jackets, and really uniform cones, and made those tolerances really tight, and then had good care on how the lead base was introduced - maybe even with some bonding agents, I could see bullet design tightening up.  To be honest, I wonder if a copper washed steel jacket might actually be better than a copper one (bringing us back down to just 2 different rates of thermal expansion/properties (steel steel lead).

M855A1 is made pretty much like a ballistic tip, with much more care and tighter tolerances (it appears), so it's not surprising that it's more accurate.

Happy:

Happy:
It's not about you deviating from the topic more than others, it's about you applying theories and guesses to this issue.  When instead others have actually tested the idea.  

But your last post raises a question:  Do you know what "MOA" means?  Do you know that a rifle that shoots 4 MOA at 500yds, will shoot 4 MOA at 100yds?  Do you know that "MOA" is simply an angle?  Used to express accuracy?    

Secondly the OP didn't say anything about 100yds or "minimal wind deflection."

There are 2 authors here that have, so far, actually posted results:  Molon and myself.  Molon tested 5 M855 types of ammunition and the best was the PMC Xtac at 2.139 MOA.  I actually tested other M855 types of ammunition but only posted the LC.  I think it was abnormally accurate lot but the result was 2.11 MOA.  

Happy/OP:

My 2% here is this:  Judging from Molons rifle and testing (and yes mine) the BEST you MIGHT achieve is 2MOA.  A Bolt rifle won't be able to get it any better than that...........  
I won't speak for Molon but feel that my rifle was equal to a bolt in the testing.  

I hope some others would/will post some results and prove it wrong though.  I am curious to see the M855A1 testing............  I maybe able to test some myself.  

So, No I don't think so.
Use a better bullet?  Yes........ certainly under 1.5MOA.
M855.............  no.    

Link Posted: 6/25/2016 3:09:01 AM EDT
[#13]
To all:
Lets make this a challenge.....................

Grab whatever M855 you have and shoot the best group you can..............

Preferably a 10shot, 100 yd group.  No called flyers, no excuses............ just shoot.  
But atleast 5 shots and 100yd minimum.  

If you can use something like the  "On Target" application to get a good measurement.  

If you use an odd number of shots (ie 6 or something) or an odd distance (ie 150 meters)........ USE the "On Target" app to measure it.

See if we can get a 1.5 MOA or better M885 group..................    
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 2:41:07 PM EDT
[#14]
But your last post raises a question:  Do you know what "MOA" means?  Do you know that a rifle that shoots 4 MOA at 500yds, will shoot 4 MOA at 100yds?  Do you know that "MOA" is simply an angle?  Used to express accuracy?

Homework assignment for you.
Go to a 50 yard indoor range and shoot your 40 round group or whatever is considered "reproducible". Then shoot the same at 500 yards and post your MOA's.
As you are driving around, ask yourself why do they have shooting competitions at longer ranges? Hint answer starts with w.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 5:53:13 PM EDT
[#15]
M855 is garbage period.

Link Posted: 6/26/2016 10:54:18 PM EDT
[#16]
So,
I did not have time to get to a good 100y range.
These were shot at 25.1y, as per my Leupold Rangefinder.  Rifle is a 16" Noveske, 1:7.  Position was prone, magazine on the ground.  Temp was 81*f, 12-15mph winds. Optic is a Steiner T5Xi

10rounds per group
69gr SMK in factory FGMM

M855A1

LC M855

PPU SS109

LC M193

I will go and group these at 100Y when I can.

Link Posted: 6/26/2016 11:09:16 PM EDT
[#17]
CVTRPR:

Thanks for atleast doing that!

What are the measurements of the 4 quadrants?
In other words can you give me the measurement of some line or something in the picture.......... I'll run it thru the "OnTarget"  so we have some sort of data from it............

Happy:

I dont need a homework assignment from you............The OP already gave me one:  Can M855 shoot 1.5 MOA or better......

If you don't understand the difference between a rifles capabilities vs the ammunition and the shooters.............  post another thread somewhere and some one will help you out...........    

Link Posted: 6/26/2016 11:16:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Black squares are 1"
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 3:32:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Did you mean a G1 of .371?

that is still a very high number for a 62 grain 556.  

A 90 grain SMK has a G7 of .257 and a 77 SMK G7 of .190

I think the G1 of the M855 is around .307 as I recall.  Dont know if the A1 could improve on that too much?
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 5:30:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Did you mean a G1 of .371?

that is still a very high number for a 62 grain 556.  

A 90 grain SMK has a G7 of .257 and a 77 SMK G7 of .190

I think the G1 of the M855 is around .307 as I recall.  Dont know if the A1 could improve on that too much?
View Quote
I got that number from shooterscalculator.com

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:18:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So,

These were shot at 25.1y, as per my Leupold Rangefinder.  Rifle is a 16" Noveske, 1:7.  Position was prone, magazine on the ground.  Temp was 81*f, 12-15mph winds. Optic is a Steiner T5Xi

10rounds per group

69gr SMK in factory FGMM
<a href="http://s1112.photobucket.com/user/arfcomcvtrpr/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160626_152939_zpssnugu72h.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k499/arfcomcvtrpr/Mobile%20Uploads/20160626_152939_zpssnugu72h.jpg</a>

M855A1
<a href="http://s1112.photobucket.com/user/arfcomcvtrpr/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160626_152950_zpsrbz6air9.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k499/arfcomcvtrpr/Mobile%20Uploads/20160626_152950_zpsrbz6air9.jpg</a>

LC M855
<a href="http://s1112.photobucket.com/user/arfcomcvtrpr/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160626_152958_zpsz60pywde.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k499/arfcomcvtrpr/Mobile%20Uploads/20160626_152958_zpsz60pywde.jpg</a>

PPU SS109
<a href="http://s1112.photobucket.com/user/arfcomcvtrpr/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160626_153007_zpsqzi8zbom.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k499/arfcomcvtrpr/Mobile%20Uploads/20160626_153007_zpsqzi8zbom.jpg</a>

LC M193
<a href="http://s1112.photobucket.com/user/arfcomcvtrpr/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160626_153015_zpsgthcvleo.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k499/arfcomcvtrpr/Mobile%20Uploads/20160626_153015_zpsgthcvleo.jpg</a>

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:46:11 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So,

10rounds per group

69gr SMK in factory FGMM

<a href="http://s1112.photobucket.com/user/arfcomcvtrpr/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160626_152939_zpssnugu72h.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k499/arfcomcvtrpr/Mobile%20Uploads/20160626_152939_zpssnugu72h.jpg</a>

M855A1

<a href="http://s1112.photobucket.com/user/arfcomcvtrpr/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160626_152950_zpsrbz6air9.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k499/arfcomcvtrpr/Mobile%20Uploads/20160626_152950_zpsrbz6air9.jpg</a>

LC M855

<a href="http://s1112.photobucket.com/user/arfcomcvtrpr/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160626_152958_zpsz60pywde.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k499/arfcomcvtrpr/Mobile%20Uploads/20160626_152958_zpsz60pywde.jpg</a>

PPU SS109

<a href="http://s1112.photobucket.com/user/arfcomcvtrpr/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160626_153007_zpsqzi8zbom.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k499/arfcomcvtrpr/Mobile%20Uploads/20160626_153007_zpsqzi8zbom.jpg</a>

LC M193

<a href="http://s1112.photobucket.com/user/arfcomcvtrpr/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160626_153015_zpsgthcvleo.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k499/arfcomcvtrpr/Mobile%20Uploads/20160626_153015_zpsgthcvleo.jpg</a>

https://app.box.com/shared/static/1nsvv70xsc91629jibteszpqjfsm1qej.jpg

Thanks!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top