Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2016 2:17:15 PM EDT
The thread about which survival ammo to use got me wondering something.  M855 or M193 for stock piling?  Obviously not the best choice but easier on the wallet.  

Yeah we all have out premium rounds for SD but most probably only have a few mags not thousands of rounds.  What is the better back up round
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 2:22:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What is the better back up round
View Quote

define better
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 2:23:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 2:31:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

define better
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is the better back up round

define better

Between the two which is better should the need arise in a defensive situation where premium sd ammo is not available you can only choose m855 or 193
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 2:41:54 PM EDT
[#4]
M193 has always been cheaper, From what I can tell.  So that's what I do.  I wouldn't mind M855 though.  The little bit I've shot of it, it seems like it might have an edge in accuracy.  But I may be all wet with that.  

I wish I had the money to stockpile and shoot black hills.....  

But to officially answer your question, it's M193 for me.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 2:45:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Mk262
Next
M193
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 2:48:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Mk262
Next
M193
View Quote

These are the two I stock up on.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 2:54:20 PM EDT
[#7]
M193 (60 percent) and M855 (other 40 percent) here. Just my .02
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 2:58:02 PM EDT
[#8]
855 has a steel penetrator that helps penetrate better(go figure) and knock down hard targets.  Light vehicles, light cover, mild body armor, etc.  193 is a lead core and will do more damage to soft targets because of the increased deformation.  If it hits flesh while it's still going fast, there's a good chance it'll tumble and yaw, possibly fragmenting inside the target and opening up some massive wound channels.  855 in similar circumstances will just zip through leaving a mild temporary cavitation.  Certainly still lethal if it hits center mass, but say the round impacts the shoulder, thigh, forearm, etc?  193 will do better in that situation.

With regards to stockpiling, it depends what you're stockpiling for.  You want a round that'll knockdown unarmored people and possibly wildlife?  I'd go 193.  Prepping for a North Korean invasion where you'll fight infantry in old vehicles?  probably 855.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 3:03:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got about 2000 rounds of both combined  ....the majority is M193..  I find the price is about the same but  M193 has
been much easier to come by for some reason at least at brick and mortar stores in my area.  

I don't know which is better, but since I don't need to punch 3/8" steel @ 200 yds I'll take the heavier M855 for
all round if I could only have one.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 3:06:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I currently have a couple thousand rounds of m855 I'm just sitting on as I've been shooting steel targets now and Wolf gold is so cheap to play with.   I'd love to buy thousands of rounds of imi 77gr razorcore but it's just to much.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 3:13:55 PM EDT
[#11]
IMO M193 is the superior round to stockpile.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 3:17:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I stockpiled shitloads of both.  Also some match stuff, BP rounds, HP's, etc.

Jut depends what's going on.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 3:35:58 PM EDT
[#13]
193. It will do the job in most cases. It will defeat body armor, and several other barriers if you choose to shoot through instead of at something. It was also replaced in part because it was "too devastating". I found the last part pretty strange, but after using M855, it makes since.
Old schooler here. Wish we would have had some of the more modern rounds in the day, but very thankful we could get around some of them.

MK318 Mod 0 is available, a bit expensive, but really good. I know it wasn't on your list, but it is an alternative, and a good one.

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 4:00:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I bit the bullet () and stockpiled a fair amount of Mk318 along with a lot of IMI Razor Core 77gr Mk262 clone ammo.

The bulk of my stockpile is 193 and some 855.

So 193 is the answer.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 5:43:26 PM EDT
[#15]
M193 in the form of Wolf Gold - stack it high, stack it deep.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 5:48:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I like M855 over M193 because of the superior penetration of the steel core. People tend to take cover when shooting at you. If I am using a rifle to defend myself then it is truly a bad situation and I want every little edge that I can get. Like said people tend to take cover when shooting at you.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 7:21:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I like M855 over M193 because of the superior penetration of the steel core. People tend to take cover when shooting at you. If I am using a rifle to defend myself then it is truly a bad situation and I want every little edge that I can get. Like said people tend to take cover when shooting at you.
View Quote

Superior penetration in what materials?
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:04:34 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless we are talking about a thin helmet nobody uses anymore at 500 yards I don't know anything that M855 goes through better than M193

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:42:56 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

Certainly not metal/steel from what I've seen.  XM193 >>>clean through 3/8" cold rolled steel @ 200 yds but not M855....not quite fast enough even with it's metal penetrating tip.   I like
M855 better as a bug out round (head for the mountains) because I'm not really that worried that it's not as effective on 2-leggers at close range, I'm looking for a better overall
round and at 7 grains heavier will probably be more effective on large 4 leggers at distance. Mass counts against heavy hide, muscle and bone!
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:59:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Given those two options and only those two options, I would get both...probably more M193 though, just due to cost.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 11:55:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Unless we are talking about a thin helmet nobody uses anymore at 500 yards I don't know anything that M855 goes through better than M193  
View Quote

Agreed. Velocity is king when it comes to penetration so m193 is a better bet in most cases. m855 as a superior penetrator has been thoroughly debunked...or so I thought.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 12:11:45 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Agreed. Velocity is king when it comes to penetration so m193 is a better bet in most cases. m855 as a superior penetrator has been thoroughly debunked...or so I thought.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

*at close range.  M855 out penetrates M193 at longer ranges (iirc, over 400m).  

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 12:42:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In particular cars doors/bodies, we have tested alot of 5.56 rounds through cars and glass. Most 5.56 loads don't do very well at going through car doors, even the bonded stuff of all makes. The GMX rounds does a great job at this but it's too expensive to stock up on for me. Most 5.56 will not penetrate a drivers and passenger door and I am not talking about hitting arm rests or seats. Just a clean door through door. At best most will put a dimple on the passenger door, the GMX and M855 will go through both doors with ease. We do this to show guys capabilities of 5.56 after a couple of incidents where bad guys have used 7.62x39 and body armor. We also show what the 7.62x39 will do to a car and not to expect much cover with exception of the block. I will admit M193 is superior to M855 in soft tissue, no doubt about it
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 12:47:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Depends.  I chose m855.  It's groups overlap the groups from the 69smk ammo I have for SD.  Not a perfect zero but close enough to get the job done.  If I was running lighter bullet and 193 overlapped with it I would go that route.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 1:34:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
IMO M193 is the superior round to stockpile.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 1:57:30 PM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 3:14:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Thanks for posting my video

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 3:22:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Thanks for posting my video  
View All Quotes

I think it's the second time this month
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:14:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 8:09:35 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Let me preface this by saying I have read all of Molons charts. I may have missed something but I do have one question. If my 11.5" SBR has been zeroed using M855 at 50yds using an Aimpoint CompM4s will there be a noticeable difference using M193? Considering it's a 2 moa dot I would think that I probably wouldn't even notice.
ETA: I have a large stock of M855 and I'm just starting to order M193 to stock up on as well.
View Quote

M855 drops about 5" more than M193 @ 400 yds...roughly

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 1:22:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Let me preface this by saying I have read all of Molons charts. I may have missed something but I do have one question. If my 11.5" SBR has been zeroed using M855 at 50yds using an Aimpoint CompM4s will there be a noticeable difference using M193? Considering it's a 2 moa dot I would think that I probably wouldn't even notice.

ETA: I have a large stock of M855 and I'm just starting to order M193 to stock up on as well.
View Quote

If you're talking about a change in zero, it may very well not hit in the same spot.  It depends on the barrel.  I almost always notice a POI shift when shooting different ammo.  Each rifle is different as to how much shift I notice.  I've got some that shift POI terribly, and some not much at all.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 4:50:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 5:05:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
855 has a steel penetrator that helps penetrate better(go figure) and knock down hard targets.  Light vehicles, light cover, mild body armor, etc.  193 is a lead core and will do more damage to soft targets because of the increased deformation.  If it hits flesh while it's still going fast, there's a good chance it'll tumble and yaw, possibly fragmenting inside the target and opening up some massive wound channels.  855 in similar circumstances will just zip through leaving a mild temporary cavitation.  Certainly still lethal if it hits center mass, but say the round impacts the shoulder, thigh, forearm, etc?  193 will do better in that situation.

With regards to stockpiling, it depends what you're stockpiling for.  You want a round that'll knockdown unarmored people and possibly wildlife?  I'd go 193.  Prepping for a North Korean invasion where you'll fight infantry in old vehicles?  probably 855.
View Quote

LOL, 855 penciling.  You might want to look into that.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 5:11:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 5:18:52 PM EDT
[#35]

Any idea why the M855 penetrates the steel plate better than the M193, but the situation is reversed for the body armor?
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 5:35:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Any idea why the M855 penetrates the steel plate better than the M193, but the situation is reversed for the body armor?
View Quote

Steel requires the bullet to stay together longer, so the steel penetrator works to its advantage.

Body armor involves spreading and penetrating a much softer matrix - where higher speed is more important than the projectile staying in one piece longer.

Not sure where the two fall relative to each other against ceramic trauma plates.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 8:44:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It's a DD 11.5" CL barrel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're talking about a change in zero, it may very well not hit in the same spot.  It depends on the barrel.  I almost always notice a POI shift when shooting different ammo.  Each rifle is different as to how much shift I notice.  I've got some that shift POI terribly, and some not much at all.

It's a DD 11.5" CL barrel.

You just have to test it.  All barrels behave differently.  Even if I had the exact same barrel as you, it would likely behave a bit differently.  ALL BARRELS ARE PREJUDICED.   It's always cool if they don't shift too much.  I'll be honest, the SS heavy barrels I've had seem to shift POI a lot less than CL govt' barrels.  That's just my experience.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:01:43 PM EDT
[#38]
I don't care. They're so close in real world use buy  which one you can get.

Its only been recently that ive found 855 as cheap as 193. I have both but mostly 193. If someone would trade 1200rds of 855 for 1k rounds of 193 Id do that trade without hesitation.

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 4:41:24 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The armor they where testing in that video was steel plate and the M193 penetrated it because of it's speed, now will it do the same thing at 200 or 300 yds I don't know.

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:51:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:12:56 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

The armor they where testing in that video was steel plate and the M193 penetrated it because of it's speed, now will it do the same thing at 200 or 300 yds I don't know.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No it won't.

It's not that the situation is reversed for body armor is that the situation is reversed at long range.  

Speed will push a bullet through steel, doesn't much matter what type of bullet.  M193 is faster than M855 so it penetrates steel better at close range.  As the speed drops off (At long range) the bullet construction starts to matter more.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:13:19 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

They both rely on fragmentation to do their thing, and M193 is more likely to fragment than M855.  Given that the "armor penetrating" qualities of M855 are of pretty questionable utility in a self-defense shooting, I'll take M193 all day.  

Now, if M855A1 was in the equation, I'd be all over it.

View Quote
This is 100% correct lol

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 2:56:05 PM EDT
[#43]
M193
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:03:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
This is 100% correct lol  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They both rely on fragmentation to do their thing, and M193 is more likely to fragment than M855.  Given that the "armor penetrating" qualities of M855 are of pretty questionable utility in a self-defense shooting, I'll take M193 all day.  

Now, if M855A1 was in the equation, I'd be all over it.

This is 100% correct lol  

Exactly.

I sometimes wonder if folks know what the "penetrator" in 855 actually is. It's a tiny little thing. Like... tiny.

855A1 is entirely different.

I'm not a fan of M855 but I would buy all the 855A1 I could find.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top