Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2016 8:26:02 PM EDT
I've had great experience with this ammo, however I never really sat down to see how well it actually prints at 100 yards. After some questions on the "accuracy" of ZQI's SS109/M855 clone in a recent thread, I decided to shoot three 10-shot groups at 100 yards.

The rifle I chose to use today was my Colt 14.5" SOCOM barreled M4ish clone. I pulled the irons off and put on the only scope I had on hand, which is a Nikon M-223 1.5-6x24 with the BDC 600 reticle. I got a quick and dirty 100 yard zero, and shot the following three groups at 100 yards from my Target Shooting Inc. rest using current 2015 production ZQI SS109 ammo.

ETA: Velocity average of ZQI SS109 from my Colt 14.5" SOCOM barrel= 2821FPS. That average was taken over 10 shots with the ambient temp being 30 degrees Fahrenheit (I didn't chronograph the ZQI yesterday. These numbers were form January of last year).  

Rifle (trigger used was a Geissele SSA):

The extreme spread of the groups:

2.898"

2.544"

3.303"

The average ES was 2.915" or 2.78MOA. I'll note that group #3 had a "flier", which could have been me. Maybe not. Fliers count, but the other 9 shots fell in about 1.8MOA in that group. I found that interesting enough to note.

Again, this was just a quick range season. I'm no Molon, but I wanted to share my findings. Each group was shot rather quickly, with a 1-2 breath pause between shots. The rifle was allowed to cool in between groups for however long it took me to load up another mag and police brass.
I need to get out and do the same test with some of the 2009 vintage IMI M855 I have, but overall I'm very satisfied with the performance of the ZQI ammo. I've fired over 2000 rounds of this ammo with zero malfunctions or issues. I'll note that I have not shot any with a suppressed rifle.
Cheers,

Link Posted: 3/27/2016 9:13:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Strong work!
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 11:00:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't done any hardcore bench shooting with it yet but I've shot it out of my 10.5 with a halo suppressor. It didn't seem to change my grouping vs using a 10.3 without suppressor and on some other guns(14.5 bcm, 16 inch centurion barrel, 20 inch bcm). Accuracy seemed to be pretty much as good as other 62gr I've shot.

Shooting at 100 yards with the 20 inch and an acog I was shooting at like 3.5 moa on the best 5 shot groups. It was more than close enough for me.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 11:11:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice write up.  Thanks for the info.  I've run through about 400 rounds of the pile I have.  Nearly all of it has been fired from my 16" Colt 6920 with a thread on Gemtech Trek silencer, and so far so good.  I should also note I'm using the Gemtech SBC (huge fan so far) for 75%+ of this shooting.  I really like the ammunition and plan to add 3 more cases to the pile soon.  I'm taking a Carbine class from Protective Shooting Concepts on April 10th where I plan to run the above setup with the ZQI, and if the gun and ammo perform well together that will be enough for me to purchase more.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 1:33:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Pics not working for me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 10:03:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I shot 5 round groups from an iron-sighted Colt H-Bar and got about the same result, 2.5"-3" groups.  Not bad for 50+ year old eyes and only a range bag for support.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 10:05:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Strong work!
View Quote

Thank you sir, that means a lot coming from you.

Link Posted: 3/28/2016 10:07:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Nice write up.  Thanks for the info.  I've run through about 400 rounds of the pile I have.  Nearly all of it has been fired from my 16" Colt 6920 with a thread on Gemtech Trek silencer, and so far so good.  I should also note I'm using the Gemtech SBC (huge fan so far) for 75%+ of this shooting.  I really like the ammunition and plan to add 3 more cases to the pile soon.  I'm taking a Carbine class from Protective Shooting Concepts on April 10th where I plan to run the above setup with the ZQI, and if the gun and ammo perform well together that will be enough for me to purchase more.
View Quote

Good luck at that class. I put that note about the suppressor in my OP because I know at least one other ARFCOMMER noted that he was blowing our primers with ZQI in his suppressed rifle. Which is odd because the primers are crimped on all my brass. I don't have a can (yet), so for now I'll continue to stack the ZQI deep, unless I can get IMI for a similar price.

Link Posted: 3/28/2016 10:12:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I haven't done any hardcore bench shooting with it yet but I've shot it out of my 10.5 with a halo suppressor. It didn't seem to change my grouping vs using a 10.3 without suppressor and on some other guns(14.5 bcm, 16 inch centurion barrel, 20 inch bcm). Accuracy seemed to be pretty much as good as other 62gr I've shot.

Shooting at 100 yards with the 20 inch and an acog I was shooting at like 3.5 moa on the best 5 shot groups. It was more than close enough for me.
View Quote

I felt in the past that this ZQI was shooting about as well as IMI, which is my favorite M855/M193. After the above test, I think they are close, with the edge going to IMI. I haven't don't the same test with IMI, but Molon saw an average ES of 2.41" with the IMI he tested. The ZQI seems to shoot better than most all other M855/SS109 clones, when looking at Molon's data. Only the IMI and Winchester Ranger fared better:

Link Posted: 3/28/2016 11:50:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I actually just did some accuracy testing with the ZQI SS109 the weekend before last and i got consistent 2 MOA groups out of my 14.5" Colt Socom upper w/ Stag arms lower.  That seems to be about the average group size i get with any M855/SS109 ive shot out of it.  FWIW My test was 4 shot groups of 5 shots shooting ZQI and PMC XTAC 62 grain. PMC averaged about 2.09" and ZQI was 2" on the nose
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 6:10:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Had MKE's claim on 1MOA accuracy been proven to be bs?
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 6:18:25 PM EDT
[#11]
It was definitely BS in my case. Still pretty good ammo as far as m855/SS109 goes in my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 6:46:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 6:51:31 PM EDT
[#13]
The 2012 stuff I had was quite possibly the worse M855 I ever had with the exception of old herters from Bosnia. The .308 was horrible as well. The .308 was all over the place in charge weight, velocity, accuracy.

First ammo I ever sold to get rid of.

I've heard that the newer stuff is better, I hope so, I bought a case due to the low price. It looks cleaner, I can say that. For the price It is what it is.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 9:05:39 AM EDT
[#14]
At .31cpr Ill take it over any other plinking ammo

I also like sealed/crimped primers for long term storage
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 10:52:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for sharing your findings.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 1:36:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Thanks for sharing your findings.

View Quote

You're welcome.

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top