Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2015 10:46:13 PM EDT
Hey all,
Was looking at some ammo stored in an ammo can in my safe.  What you see below is what I saw.  it look like there is some type of crud building up on the ammo.  Any ideas what it is and if it's a problem?  This is LC 04 AMMO.  

The next pic is a comparison of a round from a mag that is stored in the open in the same safe.  Round on the left is the round from the mag.  Round on the right is the round from the ammo can. As you can see, the round on the left looks much cleaner.

Any help appreciated.  Thx.

Mark
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 11:01:21 PM EDT
[#1]
The visible annealing or the minor staining?  fingerprint stains or whatever.  

Military type ammo has visible annealing, commercial ammo a lot of times they polish the annealing off and make it look all pretty.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 8:07:45 AM EDT
[#2]
brass is oxidized.

it is not a problem.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 12:26:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Was the ammunition already on stripper clips when you bought it or did you load the ammunition on the stripper clips yourself? My thought is that if the ammunition was manually installed on stripper clips, sweat and oils from your skin get on the brass which causes oxidation over time. The more the brass is handled, the higher possibility of oxidation from handling IMO.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 2:07:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks fine to me. Just a little corrosion, wont effect performance one bit.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:23:48 PM EDT
[#5]
If factory loaded on the stripper clips, is it stored in the cardboard sleeves? Are the ammo cans stored in a cool constant temperature?
Paper and cardboard can hold alot of moisture, so throw in some desiccant packs into the cans.
I notice that any loose or plastic cased ammo shows very little moisture change to the desiccant, but if they are in the factory paper packages then the desiccant is saturated.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:54:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies guys.

It came in boxes, I put it on the stripper clips.  It is not in a high humidity environment.  

I'll try and find some desiccant to throw in the cans.  That's a good idea.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top