Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2015 8:24:24 PM EDT
Hey, guys.

I'm looking to buy several cases of ammunition. I apologize if this has already been asked. Cost is not part of the equation.

Looking to compare:
Federal 55gr XM193
http://www.natchezss.com/federal-xm193-nato-5-56-55gr-fmj-1000-box.html

Magtech/CBC 55gr M193
https://www.armsunlimited.com/Magtech-CBC-556x45-M193-NATO-Ammo-55-Grain-FMJ-p/556a-fmj-case.htm

I'm looking for these criteria
- Which load is hotter? More velocity?
- Both sealed well?
- Fragmentation of the bullet, which cartridge does a better job?
- Reliable function

Mostly looking for which load is hotter. Thanks, guys!
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:45:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Any reason why just those two ?

I vote for Wolf Gold as a 3rd option.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:48:03 PM EDT
[#2]
If both are made to M193 specifications, then they should both be very similar.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:55:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I like to try and standardize. Federal is the most available short and long term. I'd go federal
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:55:48 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are fully decided on just those two.... I suggest you buy the XM193 in this form....on stripper clips.. with a "spoon" those will make your reloading the mag very quick.

11 x 90rds on stripper clips = $329.89 ( + tax ) ..approx. $ 30 shipping...

$ 359.89

The ammo on stripper clips will be easily worth the extra ten bucks.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/federal-5-56-55gr-fmj-bt-90rds-strclp.html

If this is for a dept.. then I understand your choices.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:01:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Isn't the "X" code for factory seconds? Why not just plain old M193?

Or Wolf Gold.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:15:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Isn't the "X" code for factory seconds? Why not just plain old M193?

Or Wolf Gold.
View Quote

Isn't the "X" code for factory seconds? no

Why not just plain old M193?  That's the military's designation, this isn't the military's ammo
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:02:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Any reason why just those two ?

I vote for Wolf Gold as a 3rd option.
View Quote

I'm primarily looking for the better performing duty load. I have plenty of plinking loads.

Has anybody chrono'd the two? I've read Magtech is hotter and that Federal is hotter but that doesn't make sense.. LOL.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:06:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I had purchased about a case and a half of Mag/CBC 5.56 toward the end of the panic, and I had more trouble with it than anything else.  I only have one gun that would make it all the way through a mag without some type of stoppage.  So if you have Wylde chambers, run away.  The gun it ran fine in?  A stopsign Olympic that will close on a no-go and has a wider throat than linda lovelace

I can't really tell you why, but what I had shot worse than PMC bronze...

So, of your choices, I would pick Fed.  I would also be good with PMC X-Tac...
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:13:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Honestly, most all of the 55gr 5.56 and some of the .223 55gr are all about the same FPS. 50-100 fps more really doesn't enhance performance or fragmentation range by much at all.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/676005_Various_Chronograph_results____16_Middie_and_20_Rifle_.html

As a result of that... accuracy becomes a deciding factor. There are dramatic differences in accuracy of the various 3200+ fps 55gr FMJ ammos.....And Wolf Gold has performed very well in that aspect....and it frags as well as any milspec 55gr FMJ

Do you have to use 55gr FMJ ?

There are much better, more reliably expanding / performing rounds out there.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:20:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I had purchased about a case and a half of Mag/CBC 5.56 toward the end of the panic, and I had more trouble with it than anything else.  I only have one gun that would make it all the way through a mag without some type of stoppage.  So if you have Wylde chambers, run away.  The gun it ran fine in?  A stopsign Olympic that will close on a no-go and has a wider throat than linda lovelace

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm also a large fan of PMC XTAC. It's just often hard to find an abundant supply. Like what M4_man was saying, I like to try to standardize. As of now, I'm kinda leaning towards Federal.

Quoted:
Honestly, most all of the 55gr 5.56 and some of the .223 55gr are all about the same FPS. 50-100 fps more really doesn't enhance performance or fragmentation range by much at all.

As a result of that... accuracy becomes a deciding factor. And Wolf Gold has performed very well in that aspect....and it frags as well as any milspec 55gr FMJ.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/676005_Various_Chronograph_results____16_Middie_and_20_Rifle_.html

It's being fired out of an 11.5" SR-15 E3 CQB. Every 50 to 100fps I can gain is worthwhile. The hotter the load I can get, the more fps I can squeeze out of the carbine and the more reliable it will function. Knight's Armament doesn't drill their gas ports for commercial loads like Daniel Defense does on their DDMK18s.

As for other loads, what are you thinking? I have some Mk262 but I'm looking for something in the $0.35 to $0.40 per round range.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:35:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm also a large fan of PMC XTAC. It's just often hard to find an abundant supply. Like what M4_man was saying, I like to try to standardize. As of now, I'm kinda leaning towards Federal.

It's being fired out of an 11.5" SR-15 E3 CQB. Every 50 to 100fps I can gain is worthwhile. The hotter the load I can get, the more fps I can squeeze out of the carbine and the more reliable it will function. Knight's Armament doesn't drill their gas ports for commercial loads like Daniel Defense does on their DDMK18s.

As for other loads, what are you thinking? I have some Mk262 but I'm looking for something in the $0.35 to $0.40 per round range.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

As a result of that... accuracy becomes a deciding factor. And Wolf Gold has performed very well in that aspect....and it frags as well as any milspec 55gr FMJ.

Wolf Gold 55gr 11.5 ballistic test.... cost effective, accuracy and performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CYq3t0rC_I

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:52:20 AM EDT
[#12]
You said cost is not a factor.  

You said it's for duty.

Then you said you want it $.35-.40.  

Bulk 55 grain is junk.  All of it.  

Get CBC MK262 for duty.   There's a huge difference in the ammo requirements of stateside LE and go-to-war general issue blasting ammo.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top