Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2015 11:33:32 PM EDT
A friend just gave me 3 boxes of this stuff.  40 gr. hollow point. Said he got it back in about 04 - 06.

I can't finds any info in this stuff.

3 boxes of old ammo are not much for defense especially when heavier bullets are becoming the choice.

Would these be good for coyotes at the least? 40gr seems pretty light even for varmint standards.  Would this have been the police load of the day?  (I was in the Army at the time)

I just can't find ANY info on this ammo.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:34:56 AM EDT
[#1]
40 gr. Bonded hp?

I've never heard of that either. Can you post pics of the boxes and ammo?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:56:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Gotta be 140 gr.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:11:49 AM EDT
[#3]
No way to post pictures from here, but I did find this:

www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/20rds-223-federal-tru-40gr-leo-tactical-rifle-urban-ammo

The link back to Federal does not list the 40gr load.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:33:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Not bonded. Penetration per Federal's testing is 5.75 inches in bare gel. No good for personal defense. Velocity out of 14.5 inch barrel 3270fps
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:25:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Yea they stopped making the 40gr version....

For fun here is the 55gr version using the Sierra bullet

http://www.le.vistaoutdoor.com/ammunition/federal/rifle/details.aspx?id=681
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:50:30 PM EDT
[#6]
You're right, not bonded. i thought I read that on the box but I was wrong.

Was this considered a good round back then?

It should be good for Coyotes right? (Hopefully  so i can get some sort of use out of this stuff)
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:27:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It should be good for Coyotes right? (Hopefully  so i can get some sort of use out of this stuff)
View Quote

If you hit a good vitals shot it'll work well.  On a shoulder shot I wouldn't be surprised if you get a ton of splash back and it keeps running for awhile.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:35:47 PM EDT
[#8]
The 55gr vmax performs very similarly in gel to the Sierra Gameking that Federal uses..

Here is a pic. of it on yote, it had a baseball sized entry hole and no exit.

Here it is on a jackrabbit where it took two hits.  The first hit took out one rear leg and splashed back without doing any other damage. Rabbit ran about 75 yards before stopping and hiding under a cactus. The second shot hit just below the front shoulder, you can see how it blew the shoulder backwards out of the rabbit.  Neither had an exit wound.

I fear the 40gr hitting the shoulder of a coyote would only be worse.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:26:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info guys.  I guess this was an early try at some of the newer police ammo.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:24:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the info guys.  I guess this was an early try at some of the newer police ammo.
View Quote

It is essentially a varmint round, and TRU line offered as a feature low penetration. Modern ballistic thinking has decided that over penetration is less an issue than making sure your shots reach vital organs.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top