Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2015 10:12:09 PM EDT
Just finishing up my first 300blk pistol, I found some 300blk at Walmart today and figured I'd pick up a few boxes for my first range trip. Running a 9" AAC barrel, spikes ST-T2 buffer, and 51T Blackout. Going to start with running supersonic but will run subs with a can in the future. Is this Remington 120Gr a good range round? They had lots of it in stock so hopefully the prices will keep coming down ($16.44/20rds). I understand that reloading is the way to go with this caliber but I do not have the equipment to do so at this time. I plan on shooting within 100 yds. What else do I need to consider when choosing 300blk ammo? This caliber is new to me so any valuable input is appreciated. Thanks guys.

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 10:39:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Good stuff, I think barnes projectiles.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 5:48:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

This ^^^^^ is a large thread so I will just answer your question: Yes Remington is a good round to use. You can look around on the internet and find some cheaper plinking ammo though. The good news is that after the mad rush on all thing 300BLK the ammo is finally starting to catch up with demand. This will mean lower prices and more availability of all the different bullets available for the 300BLK. I have read that once the higher priced (meaning more profit for the manufactures) ammo starts to stack up those same manufactures are looking at lower priced plinking ammo around 10.99-12.99 a box like they had before the insane demand happend.

Your coming in at a good time and depending on what you want to do with it the 110 grain Barnes Black tips are some of the best ammo made for the 300BLK. It is probably one of the best hunting rounds and self defense rounds out there. There are some 125gr bullets that work very well too.

Subs are not worth it without a suppressor while they are a little quieter than the supers without a suppressor they are definitely not worth the price difference and shorter range that the subs give you so don't waste your money on them until your suppressor is ordered. Now with a suppressor the subs will make you giggle at how quiet the rounds are going downrange as both the impact and rifle are louder than the shot at your ears.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 7:12:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Great info guys, I really appreciate it. I'm pretty excited to get into 300blk. I'll def. spend quite a bit of time reading through that Master Thread. Looks like there is quite a bit of info to learn about this round.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 8:46:55 AM EDT
[#5]
If you're going to get a can, spend another $200 and Form 1 that pistol.  You'll be glad you did.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 9:02:00 AM EDT
[#6]

That is in the reloading section, and OP doesn't reload.  Are there a lot of "OT" posts in it?
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 10:11:45 AM EDT
[#7]
147gr is the standard "plinking" round.  I have tried remans (from Freedom) and I will avoid them from now on.  It just wasn't reliable ammo.  Fiocci has about the best deal for off the shelf, usually ~$30 for a 50rd. brick.  For hunting, you want the Barnes VorTx black tips.  Fantastic round.  Hornady makes some good rounds as well, I have used the red tips (forget which one that is) and see good accuracy and is good for game (I hunt deer with my .300).  A lot of people use the Spikes T2 buffer in shorter barrels, but you may need a different one.  The .300 was designed for an H2 and a suppressor.  But if the T2 works (which is slightly lighter than an H2) then run with it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 10:54:48 AM EDT
[#8]
OP,
     The photo below tells quite a bit about the Barnes 300 AAC BLK 110GR. VOR-TX load specifically when fired from a 9" barrel out to 300 yds. It sets a very high standard for a factory supersonic LE/SD/HD/hunting 300 AAC BLK load. Expanding sub-sonic loads with acceptable terminal performance for suppressed use are another story altogether especially once the range opens up. Both the Lehigh 194GR. ME (Maximum Expansion) & the G2 Research 200GR. TRIDENT look promising but I don't yet know the minimum impact velocity needed for expansion. HTH

EXPANDING SUBSONIC LOADS:

Lehigh Defense 194GR. ME: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgcGLi5v67s

G2 Research 200GR. TRIDENT:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmqp62WUae8
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 3:00:27 PM EDT
[#9]
The Remington 120 gr factory ammunition is made by Barnes, with their own Open Tip Flat Base bullet (not available as a component, darn it!).  They shoot very nicely from an 8" barrel, and you're right, they're affordable range ammo.

147gr "plinking rounds" are made with surplus/pulled/whatever 147gr (or 150 gr) FMJs, because they are plentiful and cheap.  These bullets are definitely "bulk" quality, and you get what you pay for with them.

When you decide to go subsonic, you'll want heavy bullets, typically 200+gr bullets.  There are a lot of commercial choices for subs as well as supers, but most are a lot more expensive per round than the Remington you got.  Handloading really is the only way to feed a 300 Blackout habit.  The good thing about it is that, unless you plan on doing mag dumps a lot, you can get started handloading for a fairly small cash outlay.  Check out the Reloading Forum for plenty of great information and guidance.  The FAQs there include how to get started, what you'll need, and how not do go broke getting there.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 3:31:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you're going to get a can, spend another $200 and Form 1 that pistol.  You'll be glad you did.
View Quote

Eventually I plan on SBRing it and giving hog hunting a go. First I would like to get use to the gun, get lots of range time with it, and stock up on some ammo. Probably going to go with an AAC SDN-6, will the SDN-6 perform well with my mid-length 5.56?
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 3:37:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Lots of good information here guys, thanks for sharing. Looks like I'll have to order some 147gr plinking rounds. That picture is awesome, looks like 300blk has quite a bit of energy even at that distance out of a short barrel.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 9:39:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Subsonics are pointless without a suppressor. The 300blk really shines if you buy a can.

Crunch some numbers with the break even point between reloading and buying new. For me I can reload subs for about 1/5 the cost of new rounds. Made buying a single stage press and basic reloading equipment a easy decision.

If you stick to factory ammoseek.com for the cheapest for plinking and barnes 110 for self defense / hunting.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 11:07:22 AM EDT
[#13]
300BLK subsonics using heavy-for-caliber SMK or AMAX bullets have little practical use other than as practice rounds or as a novelty. Because they are not designed to expand at 1050 FPS or less impact velocity, terminal performance on flesh & bone targets is pretty much limited to punching deep holes. Currently, bullets that will yield useful terminal performance at subsonic levels drive the cost of 300BLK ammunition well over that of the supersonic factory Barnes 110GR. VOR-TX load. Some expanding subsonic bullets are individually turned/milled to assure their enhanced subsonic performance. Even then, expanding subsonics are very limited in range as compared to the supersonic 110GR. VOR-TX load because of their slow MV/rainbow-like trajectory. But if I can shoot hogs/predators without pressuring the turkey flocks/deer/etc. into moving over to neighboring property, expanding subsonics have a place in my 300BLK ammunition tool box. Because of the current cost of these expanding subsonic 300BLK rounds, LE Agency/PD use will be limited by the ever present "Bean Counters". IMO, the 300BLK cartridge will be greatly enhanced with the arrival of affordable expanding subsonic bullets/ammunition. The market is well established and growing very rapidly.

What I am currently working with: Need to find out if the Sierra 125GR. TMK bullet fired from a 300BLK will expand then fragment as well as the BHA 5.56MM 77GR. TMK factory load. Both the 110GR. TAC-TX and the 125GR. TMK bullets were designed for 300BLK use. The 125GR SMK is accurate but is a yaw-dependent non-expanding bullet that won't even fragment reliably or to any great degree at 300 BLK velocity of 2192 FPS. If the 125GR. TMK quickly expands/fragments yielding a short neck wound channel, it will prove very useful as an inexpensive supersonic load.

Link Posted: 5/17/2015 8:07:59 PM EDT
[#14]
You get 300's to feed with that 90 grain XTP bullet?  I thought I was doing great to get .30 Carbine bullets to feed in my 300 Blackout rig!
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Also have a 300BLK RARR bolt rifle fitted with a can for using loads that won't cycle in the 9" AAC upper. The 0.309" 90GR. XTP pistol bullet at 1050FPS MV works well on predators/varmints at close range. But the supersonic Remington 130GR. TSX Hog Hammer load will get the honors on hogs now that turkey season is over. Have a 10 day hunt/shoot coming up June 2nd over in MS.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 9:07:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Very cool.  It's easy to forget that there are also bolt guns in 300 Blackout.  I'd like to find one that wasn't prohibitively expensive...
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 10:21:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Just returned from a hunt/shoot in MS. Was hoping to shoot a hog with one of the 300BLK exotic subsonic loads but they were completely nocturnal probably due to the heat. Tested the water-shot expansion/fragmentation of both the 125GR. TMK and the 125GR. SMK fired from a 16" RARR. Surprisingly, (2) SMKs did not even fragment at all at approx. 2192 FPS while a third had just the long nose of the jacket come off the core. The TMK expanded to 0.545" while fragmenting very nicely at 2089 FPS impact velocity. The expanded core weighs 75.3 grains so almost 50 grains of high speed fragments surrounded the expanding core as it penetrated. And just like the 0.224" 77GR. TMK bullets I have tested, the copper jacket tried to separate from the non-bonded lead core. The 125GR. TMK looks very good for use on thin-skinned flesh & bone targets. Will pop a whitetail with the 125GR. TMK load in December as a final test. HTH

EDIT: pic of recovered bullets from water-shot expansion testing (all fired from 16" RARR 300BLK):

Link Posted: 6/10/2015 10:48:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Great info in this thread for a new BLK user like me, much appreciated.  Since I don't plan on reloading I have to depend on cheaper rounds on AmmoSeek for range or plinking use.  Does anyone here think the price of name brand 300 BLK will come down to the sub 50 cent range anytime soon?
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 11:28:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Barnes brass too. Excellent ammo. A huge improvement over their original offering. Another good ammo plink with is Fiocchi. They had some teething pains but the current production is GTG. Both will be good to reload in the future.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 12:00:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Very cool.  It's easy to forget that there are also bolt guns in 300 Blackout.  I'd like to find one that wasn't prohibitively expensive...
View Quote

Ruger American ranch my favorite rifle
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 12:58:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Barnes brass too. Excellent ammo. A huge improvement over their original offering. Another good ammo plink with is Fiocchi. They had some teething pains but the current production is GTG. Both will be good to reload in the future.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Has anyone used the Remington 120 OTFB on hogs?

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top