Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2015 8:31:59 AM EDT
Sorry if this is a repeat. I've searched Google and Arfcom for some current input on the M80 ball currently being sold by Wideners.
Specifically I'm very curious how it compares with GGG Lithuanian M80 ball which IMO was/is the most accurate 7.62 NATO ball Milsurp I've ever shot in a variety of 7.62x51 semi auto platforms. If anyone has any real data to share, I'd love to see it.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:37:44 PM EDT
[#1]
If it is IMI I would stay clear of it, IMI usually makes top notch stuff but there was problems reported with it at M14 forum.com. If you can find the Lith then go with it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it is IMI I would stay clear of it, IMI usually makes top notch stuff but there was problems reported with it at M14 forum.com. If you can find the Lith then go with it.
View Quote

You're talking about the TZ stuff from the 80's whereas he's asking about new manufacture ammo.

If your local Walmart has ZQI I'd get that.

Edit: Link to current issue posted below.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:37:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have some of the same IMI batch and it runs fine through my M1A
Chrono results showed only 80 fps slower than RG93 and Port 83
Average M80 accuracy
Never shot any of the GGG
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:35:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You're talking about the TZ stuff from the 80's whereas he's asking about new manufacture ammo.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually while there is a big problem with TZ 80... there is indeed a current ongoing issue with current production IMI 7.62x51... follow the supplied link.

http://m14forum.com/ammunition/176283-update-imi-7-62-problem.html
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:09:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Actually while there is a big problem with TZ 80... there is indeed a current ongoing issue with current production IMI 7.62x51... follow the supplied link.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn! Thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:15:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got a box of it to chrono this weekend from my M1A. I'll have to see what I experience with the primers and velocity.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 5:46:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn I'm bummed and glad I found this thread and the discussion on the m1a forum. Seems like lot # 403-E has a problem and shouldn't be fired. Really lame as I have 1000 rounds of this that I brought recently from wideners. Looks like wideners will take the ammo back and issue a full refund. Sucks because I trust IMI as being high quality ammo that can be trusted without issues. But after this lot of 7.62, I don't think I can trust IMI without some personal quality control before I stock up on a particular batch.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:26:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Fired a total of 50 rounds out of three different rifles, Encore, SCAR, and AR-10, no problems.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:54:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

If it was something other than a M1A1 it might be valid. There are always problems with M1as and ammo. They are too pressure sensitive to be the standard to make a informed decision. There are more guys in that thread that report it as good vs the couple saying how bad it it.

I have yet to have any problems with it, but I don't shoot my m1as anymore as well.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:24:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If it was something other than a M1A1 it might be valid. There are always problems with M1as and ammo. They are too pressure sensitive to be the standard to make a informed decision. There are more guys in that thread that report it as good vs the couple saying how bad it it.

I have yet to have any problems with it, but I don't shoot my m1as anymore as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Regardless of the rifle ... I would still suggest you double check your fired cases. The specific batch of IMI ammo is the issue in that linked thread, not the type of rifle.... if it was the rifle then all of the M1A's from that thread would have had issues....and all the M1A's didn't.

My post was written so as to keep others informed of a issue with some IMI 7.62x51..... I, for one, would rather know about the backed out primers.

And my M1A has never had a single ammo related issue in 30 years.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:16:11 AM EDT
[#11]

Had primers start to back out of mine as well:

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:08:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I used to trust IMI ammo completely as my goto stuff.

Then I opened some 1200 round M855 stuff and found a bunch of smashed cartridges in pristine boxes.  Makes you wonder about their QC.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:20:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
.. if it was the rifle then all of the M1A's from that thread would have had issues....

And my M1A has never had a single ammo related issue in 30 years.
View Quote

exceptions are not rules and if you're a M1a owner/follower, you must acknowledge the fact that M1as are pressure sensitive (by their design) and that means a non standard distribution of problems due to the variances in op rods/springs and gas ports and the worst-headsapcing.  

I'm not discounting the problems just because its a m1a, I'm saying problems in that platform are not indicative of overall ammo problems.  

And yes no matter what you shoot you should inspect your casing after firing.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:21:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

shot from what? That detail is kinda important
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 1:02:28 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry, meant to post the video.

22" Springfield M1A:

Besides the Perfecta .308, this is the slowest M80 I've chrono'd to date..

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top