Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2015 2:12:24 PM EDT
Gun: POF 308

I bought some PMC 308 and shot about 2 boxes a few months ago. no problems.
Bought some more boxes off line tried to shoot the first box and it would not cycle in my gun (POF 308)
Also had 2 failures to fire with significant primer strikes.
Went back to some old ammo I had from what i bought a few months ago, and no again no problems.
Anyone else have trouble with this ammo? or you think its my gun?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:01:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I have DPMS AP4 .308 that loves it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:41:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Failure to fire  
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:44:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Pretty serious bro.

I've never had an issue with the rounds I've fired.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:48:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Pretty serious bro.    

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Pretty serious bro.    

yea, I mean ive bought about 3-4 boxes from my FFL. and they all worked great.
Bought about 10 during a holiday sale and the first box sucks!!! Haven't tried the rest though.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:31:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I would have expected those firing pin strikes to be deeper.... ( not a slam.. )

What are those factory rounds headspacing at ?.... and / or how big is your chamber ?

In other word's, those rounds kinda look like they were not held firmly in place, and then not allowing a positive strike on the primer.

I am not trying to rain on your thread... just saying....
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:45:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would have expected those firing pin strikes to be deeper.... ( not a slam.. )

What are those factory rounds headspacing at ?.... and / or how big is your chamber ?

In other word's, those rounds kinda look like they were not held firmly in place, and then not allowing a positive strike on the primer.

I am not trying to rain on your thread... just saying....
View Quote

i appreciate the advice. You think something is wrong with my gun?
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 7:42:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Sure looks like a light primer strike... Headspace? Firing pin in-spec? Clean? Over lubed? Lots of things to look at rifle-wise.

1DD
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 8:15:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sure looks like a light primer strike... Headspace? Firing pin in-spec? Clean? Over lubed? Lots of things to look at rifle-wise.

1DD
View Quote

perhaps overlubed, I've been known to do that.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 9:18:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Seeing how PMC has a good track record, and those strikes look light , I would have a Gunsmith check your headspace.

Does your rifle have problems with any other ammo?

How old is your rifle ?
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 1:17:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Seeing how PMC has a good track record, and those strikes look light , I would have a Gunsmith check your headspace.

Does your rifle have problems with any other ammo?

How old is your rifle ?
View Quote

like new, I bought it less than 6 months ago.
Haven't used any other ammo, but other boxes of PMC have done fine.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:42:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Going to try to hit the range on friday.
Ill test a box or 2 of the ammo I ordered online and I'll also try my best to get some different brands of ammo and perhaps different loads.
I'll get back to you guys but I would still like to hear others opinions.
Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:49:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Going to try to hit the range on friday.
Ill test a box or 2 of the ammo I ordered online and I'll also try my best to get some different brands of ammo and perhaps different loads.
I'll get back to you guys but I would still like to hear others opinions.
Thank you.
View Quote

The hammer does feel weaker than my ar-15s but like I said other boxes of PMC have worked fine
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 2:14:16 PM EDT
[#13]
A very common problem for light strikes is improper installation of the hammer spring.
You should also check headspace and firing pin protrusion.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 3:23:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A very common problem for light strikes is improper installation of the hammer spring.
You should also check headspace and firing pin protrusion.
View Quote

This makes the most sense... ( Excellent point PFC ! ) double check to see if the hammer spring is installed correctly, and or not defective ( broke ), or maybe it is just a weak spring that needs replacement.... it could happen.

Also keep an eye out for any binding or such that is keeping the hammer from using the full force of the spring on the firing pin... also make sure the firing pin has free and easy movement.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:29:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I had a similar problem with the FAL, think it was Santa Barbara.  Put it back in and tried again and bang.  The Port ran without any problems.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:02:55 AM EDT
[#16]
So I kept the round with a light primer strike. Today I noticed some green around the primer.
However I keep a little cartridge collection. In my collection there is a PMC .308 round identical to box that was giving me trouble. This round has sat on a shelf for over a year and no green tarnish. But the light primer round, from the box that was giving me trouble has only been on my desk for about a month.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top