Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2015 7:21:48 PM EDT
Just received an advert for: http://ammunitionstore.com/products/223-5-56x45mm-62gr-steel-core-m855-ss109-nato-spec-swedish-mfg-1000-round-can.html

Couple questions ...
1. when did 223 become NATO spec?? Does this mean it's 5.56 and they can't translate Swedish to English? Or is it in fact NOT NATO spec??
2. per the pic these may be sealed? for example, US Mil issued ammo is sealed so that each round is watertight, right? anyone know if this stuff would be?
3. if you have a 5.56 chamber AR would you run this in your weapon?

TIA
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:24:59 PM EDT
[#1]
It doesn't have any lead and has a zinc mixture in the jacket. The primer is berdan. Great ammo with great penetration, but not sure it actually meets nato spec for m855
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:28:44 PM EDT
[#2]
You can run 223 or 5.56 in any weapon that has a chamber that is 5.56 spec. If you chamber is only speced at 223, you can only run 223.
223 is not NATO spec. I believe because its and advertisement, it may be that the company lists all 223 and 5.56 under the same heading. As far as I am aware, the Carl Gustaf ammo is 5.56 and is sealed.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:32:15 PM EDT
[#3]
NavyIS2 - thx for the info.

Would you run it as range ammo in a 5.56 spec AR?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:35:35 PM EDT
[#4]
There's a pretty long thread about it.  It's M855ish, but not M855.  It has a steel core, as opposed to a lead core with a steel tip.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/649168_Carl_Gustaf_NATO_5_56X45__223_62grn.html
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:35:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Not indoors. You'll wind up with zinc fever. Not a good thing. Outdoors, or for store away for an emergency, yes, I have a few cans for that very purpose. I use it for courses too, because i know i won't be able to recover my brass and you can't reload berdan.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:43:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Thx to all for the responses. I did find a 12 page thread on this ammo from 2014 - good stuff.

Appreciate the tip about not indoors. My intention is to use it at an outdoor range and for courses (agreed ref: can't collect brass).

Thx gents!
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:08:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There's a pretty long thread about it.  It's M855ish, but not M855.  It has a steel core, as opposed to a lead core with a steel tip.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/649168_Carl_Gustaf_NATO_5_56X45__223_62grn.html
View Quote

Read the whole thread OP.   It does not sound good.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:00:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was under the impression that Carl Gustav was some of the best M855/SS109 out there besides South African and Portuguese stuff.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:12:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I was under the impression that Carl Gustav was some of the best M855/SS109 out there besides South African and Portuguese stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some people have pressure issues. I'm surprised the ATF allowed it to be imported as it has a true steel core and hardened steel penetrator.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:28:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Some people have pressure issues. I'm surprised the ATF allowed it to be imported as it has a true steel core and hardened steel penetrator.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the heads up on the pressure issues. I might snag a case just in case the ATF starts up their shit again. $.36/rd seems like not too bad of a deal.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 1:22:55 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

it is not an M855/SS109 type round.  the only thing it has in common with those is being 62gr

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 4:30:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I would love for someone to conduct and post some gel and penetration tests with this stuff!
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:47:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Stuff is hot as shit. I don't have my chrono data, but the few rounds I did run were pushing M193 velocities. Also had a few pierced primers. Definitely not .223 pressure.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:54:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Stuff is hot as shit. I don't have my chrono data, but the few rounds I did run were pushing M193 velocities. Also had a few pierced primers. Definitely not .223 pressure.
View Quote
I really wonder how this stuff will perform against 1/4" AR500.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:05:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Not indoors. You'll wind up with zinc fever. Not a good thing. Outdoors, or for store away for an emergency, yes, I have a few cans for that very purpose. I use it for courses too, because i know i won't be able to recover my brass and you can't reload berdan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The lead free primers are an issue since they have a shelf life of less than 10 years. The big surprise is that several years down the road your SHTF stash won't go bang and that ZQ1 5.56 ammo at 10 bucks per 30 at Walmart ten year past is starting to look like the "should have, could have .... would have" moment.

Get your lead styphnate primered ammo now. Buy it cheap and stack it deep because these are the good old days. The new green lead free primered ammo will be the mandated gun control proxy of the future.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:52:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The lead free primers are an issue since they have a shelf life of less than 10 years. The big surprise is that several years down the road your SHTF stash won't go bang and that ZQ1 5.56 ammo at 10 bucks per 30 at Walmart ten year past is starting to look like the "should have, could have .... would have" moment.

Get your lead styphnate primered ammo now. Buy it cheap and stack it deep because these are the good old days. The new green lead free primered ammo will be the mandated gun control proxy of the future.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That ten year shelf life is a pure fabrication FYI.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 8:36:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It doesn't have any lead and has a zinc mixture in the jacket. The primer is berdan. Great ammo with great penetration, but not sure it actually meets nato spec for m855
View Quote

Berdan primed ammo is acceptable to meet NATO specifications.

All the spec requires is velocity, pressure (both chamber and gas port), and bullet weight and type/dimensions.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 8:53:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

All the spec requires is velocity, pressure (both chamber and gas port), and bullet weight and type/dimensions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And materials. Hence why I mention the lack of lead.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top