Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2015 11:39:01 AM EDT

I was thumbing through a Natchez Shooting Supply catalog last night and saw that they had what looked to be a shortened 30-gallon barrel with 12.500 rounds of M855 green tip ammo loosely packed inside of it.  My question is:  Isn't the possibility fairly good for some of the rounds at the bottom of this barrel being damaged (dented cases, bullet concentricity, etc.) due to the weight of the ammo at the upper 2/3 of the barrel?

Dented case are not so big of a worry as long as they're not overly dented....but bullet concentricity is vital to accuracy.

Anyone had any problems with this in any 12,500 round barrels of ammo (or any bulk ammo for that matter) they have purchased???

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 1:04:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll buy the bottom 1/3 off of you for 1/4 of the total price shipped.  

I've known a fellow or two that had barrels of ammo.  Never seen any issues with any of their ammo at the bottom.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 1:08:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:19:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know if I would consider M855 as an ammo that I would use for accuracy.

As long as the bullet isn't bent to a 45, I would shoot it as blasting ammo.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:36:56 PM EDT
[#4]
send me the last 3 inches of ammo left in the barrel so you dont explode your gun.. if your not sure when the 3inches start,, just stop at that moment. this will save your life!
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:49:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Some of you guys are real funny...y'all should be on Shark Tank with all that slick negotiating y'all do.

And, FTR....I never said I was buying the barrel of ammo.  I don't have $6,000 budgeted for ammo at the moment (my wife would kill me ).

And, also FTR....whether you are seeking 1 m.o.a. groups or 4 m.o.a. groups,  bullet concentricity is still vital towards achieving that accuracy.  

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:38:28 PM EDT
[#6]
$6000 for 12,500 rounds of M855..? That's 48cpr; commercial-boxed stuff can be had cheaper than that with no barrel weight & bulk issues...
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 11:35:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah I never got the pricing on those barrel and pallet buys. I just got 600 rnds of 855 for .42 per rnd shipped. I know at some point the discount even to distributors is maxed but that would mean its maxed at about a 500rnd case or less. Makes no sense.
ETA: unless they ship it to you free of charge. At that size container, its going to be delivered ltl freight.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:26:22 AM EDT
[#8]
How much is shipping on one of those?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:19:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Depends on how far its going. I know non hazmat to and from phx/so cal is around $80-$90 for a pallet weight of about 250-300lbs. Now add the orm-d surcharge.

ETA: Just for shi*s and giggles, also my personal curiosity, I went to a few sites that had these for sales and mocked up freight quotes to my zip code.
Wholesale Hunter is $5,403.94+ $262.80 shipping via UPS Ground (it has to be via their ltl freight service as traditional ground is limited to 65lb package weight)
Natchez is out of stock and I couldn't get a quote (system wouldn't let me) but the have the price listed at $7,123.75

No other place would allow me to do a freight quote as they all seem to be out of stock, but price hovers from $5k+ to around $7k plus shipping. Even at the wholesale hunter price after shipping you're still paying $0.45 per rnd.....

Sorry OP, didn't mean to derail your thread
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:39:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Depends on how far its going. I know non hazmat to and from phx/so cal is around $80-$90 for a pallet weight of about 250-300lbs. Now add the orm-d surcharge.

ETA: Just for shi*s and giggles, also my personal curiosity, I went to a few sites that had these for sales and mocked up freight quotes to my zip code.

Wholesale Hunter is $5,403.94+ $262.80 shipping via UPS Ground (it has to be via their ltl freight service as traditional ground is limited to 65lb package weight)

Natchez is out of stock and I couldn't get a quote (system wouldn't let me) but the have the price listed at $7,123.75

No other place would allow me to do a freight quote as they all seem to be out of stock, but price hovers from $5k+ to around $7k plus shipping. Even at the wholesale hunter price after shipping you're still paying $0.45 per rnd.....

Sorry OP, didn't mean to derail your thread
View Quote

You're not derailing my thread.  This is exactly the type of discussion I hoped this thread would generate.

I too was curious about the shipping costs of a package that heavy.  Thanks for doing some of the "legwork" for us!!!

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:04:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Hahaha...no problem. I would stick to good deals on the ee and 500rnd cases as these seem to be where the bulk discount maxes, at retailers at least.
It would be cool to get it in a drum and all at once though. I wanted to do this but never had the $$ all at once and unless I got free shipping or a better discount its just for the cool factor
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:15:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Not that I'd ever buy one, but you have to admit it would be a special kind of cool to have a barrel-o-ammo.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:55:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Not that I'd ever buy one, but you have to admit it would be a special kind of cool to have a barrel-o-ammo.  
View Quote

I'm thinking THIS would be the special kind of cool you're talking about...(<32cpr too)

http://www.freedommunitions.com/Igman-5-56-M-855-62-gr-AP-100K-Pallet-p/ipp556m855n-100.htm
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:00:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm thinking THIS would be the special kind of cool you're talking about...(<32cpr too)

http://www.freedommunitions.com/Igman-5-56-M-855-62-gr-AP-100K-Pallet-p/ipp556m855n-100.htm
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, "This Item Qualifies for Free Shipping!" .....ya think? I'd hope anywhere I'm spending $32k  on ammo would ship to me free.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:01:30 PM EDT
[#15]
i saw one in stock at a LGS the day the M855 letter appeared

I think it was $3500 for 12500 rounds (28 cents a round)

this is prolly why the letter appeared, as there must be tons of it available

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:10:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice! I definitely would consider jumping on that deal
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:17:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Nice! I definitely would consider jumping on that deal
View Quote
I'd have to enlist several teenagers to help me lug it into the house!!!

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:24:32 PM EDT
[#18]
rolling the barrel down the basement steps may cause settling to occur

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:03:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
rolling the barrel down the basement steps may cause settling to occur

View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:45:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't know this for a fact, but I suspect all LC M855 ammo is "packaged" like this at one point in it's life and journey around the plant. It's not like the stuff is loaded one round at a time by a guy sitting at a Rockchucker, carefully wiping down each round and placing it in cardboard 20 round boxes.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:26:56 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I don't know this for a fact, but I suspect all LC M855 ammo is "packaged" like this at one point in it's life and journey around the plant. It's not like the stuff is loaded one round at a time by a guy sitting at a Rockchucker, carefully wiping down each round and placing it in cardboard 20 round boxes.
View Quote
True.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:44:26 PM EDT
[#22]
I have thought about it at $4800/12,500rds but can't seem to pull trigger as I would be a dead man :)
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:00:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:09:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've been to the bottom of dozens and dozens of these barrels and never once encountered a bad round, and definitely never seen one damaged due to the weight.

If the ammo at the bottom of the barrel was damaged due to weight it wouldn't be packaged like this. It's a rumor perpetuated by people who have never seen one of these barrels in person.
View Quote

Truth
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:01:27 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm sure it get placed in larger deeper containers at the factory & it doesn't get damaged there.
So what makes you think it would get damaged in a smaller drum.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:02:20 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I'm sure it get placed in larger deeper containers at the factory & it doesn't get damaged there.

So what makes you think it would get damaged in a smaller drum.
View Quote

Well...for one thing, brass is very malleable.  I can take a round of rifle ammo and make it non-concentric using my bare hands.  It isn't entirely unreasonable to see that happening in a barrel/bin with hundreds of pounds of ammo sitting on some rounds that are in just such a position that might facilitate some damage.  Imagine a rifle round with the bullet sitting on the edge of a board and the case-head sitting on another board with an inch or so between the two boards.  Now picture a 200 lb. weight sitting on top of the case.  Can you see how some damage might occur there?

I am fairly new to AR rifles and have never before seen 12,500-round drums of ammo.  Didn't know they existed.  I was just trying to educated myself by asking about them in this thread.

I have been educated, but I still don't think the original question was all that far-fetched.

Link Posted: 4/3/2015 12:55:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Look at it like this; the rounds at the bottom of the barrel aren't bearing the entire weight of all of the rounds above. Only a smallish fraction of the weight.

I'd buy one of those barrels in a heartbeat if I could afford it.

And take a selfie of me rolling around in 855 like Scrooge McDuck wallowing in gold coins!

Link Posted: 4/3/2015 8:43:14 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I'd buy one of those barrels in a heartbeat if I could afford it.

And take a selfie of me rolling around in 855 like Scrooge McDuck wallowing in gold coins!

View Quote
No offense...but I'd much rather see a bikini-clad model (female of course) in the photo.

Link Posted: 4/3/2015 3:32:01 PM EDT
[#29]
It's the perfect packaging for XM855. How much worse can the accuracy get and it may even get better after a few dents.

But I wouldnt buy MK262 packaged that way....
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 11:03:40 AM EDT
[#30]
You'd think that buying in that quantity would have a discounted price for volume, but $.57/round plus shipping is about $.20 more than I would like to pay.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 6:48:03 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

You'd think that buying in that quantity would have a discounted price for volume, but $.57/round plus shipping is about $.20 more than I would like to pay.
View Quote
Yeah...I thought the pricing kinda sucked.

Link Posted: 4/11/2015 1:41:52 AM EDT
[#32]
I've been waiting to pick up one of these barrels of 855 for awhile now, gotta wait until that price comes down though. The clowns running this country keep creating fuckin that up for me.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top