Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2015 12:16:25 PM EDT
Difference between Fusion and Fusion MSR?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:40:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty sure its been discussed before, something like velocity or difference in powder or something. IIRC a member here said the MSR actually ended up higher velocity but don't hold me on that. I'm too lazy to find the link.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:18:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks....I try searching for Fusion and nothing shows up.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:26:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's a good link to a video that will help you out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE5ZnQmKy2o
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:41:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks...looks like regular Fusion might be the way to go.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:26:14 PM EDT
[#5]
One thing is the barrel length Fed. used for the velocities listed.

The MSR used a much shorter barrel length.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:27:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah. The MSR gives a little more velocity. It gives me pretty decent groups for a bonded bullet. 1.5-2MOA.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:47:19 PM EDT
[#7]

It’s difficult to see with the naked eye, but the Fusion bullet has a “skived” tip.

The advertised velocity for this load is 3000 fps. From a 20" Colt barrel with a NATO chamber, chrome lining and a 1:7” twist, the 62 grain Federal Fusion bonded soft-point had a muzzle velocity of 2877 fps. The claimed ballistic coefficient for this bullet is 0.339.

The accuracy of this load was excellent for a soft-point bullet. A 10-shot group fired from my Krieger barreled AR-15, at a distance of 100 yards, had an extreme spread of almost exactly 1 MOA.

*No animals were harmed during the testing of this ammunition.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:22:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Any info on the muzzle velocity out of a 10.5" barrel? I was estimating 2600fps and using a BC of .31 I was getting some wonky trajectories using Mil-Dot Ballistics.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://www.box.net/shared/static/3fv50h6gke.jpg

http://www.box.net/shared/static/t0766kkmx0.jpg

It’s difficult to see with the naked eye, but the Fusion bullet has a “skived” tip.

[url=http://www.box.net/shared/static/yen31m144y.jpg]http://www.box.net/shared/static/yen31m144y.jpg[

http://www.box.net/shared/static/tmnau2vyq8.jpg

http://www.box.net/shared/static/rkh9y3vbs1.jpg

The advertised velocity for this load is 3000 fps. From a 20" Colt barrel with a NATO chamber, chrome lining and a 1:7” twist, the 62 grain Federal Fusion bonded soft-point had a muzzle velocity of 2877 fps. The claimed ballistic coefficient for this bullet is 0.339.

The accuracy of this load was excellent for a soft-point bullet. A 10-shot group fired from my Krieger barreled AR-15, at a distance of 100 yards, had an extreme spread of almost exactly 1 MOA.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/s0h8lcfg2c.jpg

*No animals were harmed during the testing of this ammunition.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/pfefa4ta27.jpg
View Quote

Are you back? I sure hope so. Your reviews are without peer.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:59:31 AM EDT
[#10]
From everything I've read it seems the MSR uses a sealant and low flash powder.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:48:21 AM EDT
[#11]
from this article it sounds like it has a harder primer than the normal (bolt action centric?) fusion line.

The cartridge’s primer was selected for compatibility with free-floating firing pins, and a harder case head ensures integrity and primer retention. The selected propellant attains top velocities from the abbreviated barrels-from 16” to 20”-commonplace on MSR platforms, as well as exhibits reduced muzzle flash and is clean-burning.
View Quote

from Federal's site

Fusion® MSR

A. Primer: Compatible with rifles that have a free floating firing pin.
B. Powder: Clean-burning, low-flash, fast-burning propellant boosts velocity through 16- to 20-inch barrels.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:04:05 PM EDT
[#12]
The MSR is also primer sealed.  Not sure about the case.  The fusion bullet is excellent, and has a very low velocity expansion threshold.  The only real area of inferior performance is penetration through steel.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:01:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks...looks like regular Fusion might be the way to go.
View Quote

MSR or not, Fusion puzzles me - mass produced ammo with reload accuracy at a low price point? Somebody pinch me. In my skinny-barreled M70 30-06 deer rifle 150 grain Fusion easily shoots 1 moa:

Heck, my reloads cost more than a box of Fusion. I don't have a worked up load that bests that with a hunting bullet in that sporter-profiled rifle and frankly I'm not even going to try when I can waltz down to Gander and get it for $19. Whatever it is they are doing, I guess I'm on the bandwagon.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:04:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Federal, please sell us reloaders the Fusion bullets!
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:49:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Biggest mistake I made, was when Palmetto had some ICE overruns a few years ago, that were LC made 5.56's that used the Fusion bullet, for 10 bucks a box.  I should have bought every one of them....

I bought a few hundred rounds, and they shot great, and killed deer and hogs perfectly.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:30:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Federal, please sell us reloaders the Fusion bullets!
View Quote

Why didn't you ask before?

Fusion slugs
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:00:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Biggest mistake I made, was when Palmetto had some ICE overruns a few years ago, that were LC made 5.56's that used the Fusion bullet, for 10 bucks a box.  I should have bought every one of them....

I bought a few hundred rounds, and they shot great, and killed deer and hogs perfectly.
View Quote

I remember that.  The Federal MSR is basically the same ICE style contract run with the sealed primer and low flash powder, etc.

I've seen some places discount the MSR to as low as around $12 a box, which is pretty close.  I think buds was one of the places I saw the price so low?
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 12:07:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I remember that.  The Federal MSR is basically the same ICE style contract run with the sealed primer and low flash powder, etc.

I've seen some places discount the MSR to as low as around $12 a box, which is pretty close.  I think buds was one of the places I saw the price so low?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ICE load does not have cannelures, still awesome, I got a bunch from that deal.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 12:44:01 AM EDT
[#20]
I realize this isn't technical, and I apologize, but it is so damn good to see Molon back.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 2:34:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:...*No animals were harmed during the testing of this ammunition.
View Quote

There's a sick part of my brain that wants to say "then it wasn't a thorough and valid test"...
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 3:16:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I want to say that the biggest difference besides the cosmetic, is I think they are loaded with different powders. TNoutdoors9, the one who made the video comparison with gel tests of the two came to same conclusion.

There is only one way to find out. I have both variants so sometime over the next couple of days I will pull them and compare the powders.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 1:21:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Pulled both the bullets and compared the two powders today.

The regular fusion looks exactly like the powder in Molon's photo.
The MSR is the same powder with a small amount of another powder mixed in as well. The added powder particles are small, uniform discs.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 5:21:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Several websites sell them. I just bought a 500+ count package today from americanreloading.com for $58.99 with my 20% off voucher code. I also got 500+ Nosler Partition. They're pulldowns, but very minimal to no pull marks whatsoever. This is my second batch of 62 grain Fusions from them, and in the first package I actually got 540 bullets. They sold me the last box of Nosler Partition today - so sorry :) - but they still have plenty of Fusion. For the 500+ Fusion and 500+ Partitions my total was $108.59 and the owner said he'd throw me in a few tracers to try, and I also got a free T-shirt.

Right now you can use the 20OFF223STUFF coucher code for 20% off all 223/5.56 components - powder, primers, bullets.

This is my first post, just joined up today, so forgive me if this isn't the proper place for this info.

-Herp
++=
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 5:51:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:12:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Federal's website lists the regular Fusion 62gr @ 3000fps (and muzzle energy at 1239) while it lists the Fusion MSR 62gr @ 2750fps (with muzzle energy at 1041). I'm assuming the regular Fusion line has specs listed for a 24" test barrel, and maybe the published specs for the MSR are out of a 20" barrel? 4" of barrel length would roughly account for the 250fps difference, though I don't see anything on Federal's website to this effect... Just my 2¢
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:26:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Federal's website lists the regular Fusion 62gr @ 3000fps (and muzzle energy at 1239) while it lists the Fusion MSR 62gr @ 2750fps (with muzzle energy at 1041). I'm assuming the regular Fusion line has specs listed for a 24" test barrel, and maybe the published specs for the MSR are out of a 20" barrel? 4" of barrel length would roughly account for the 250fps difference, though I don't see anything on Federal's website to this effect... Just my 2¢
View Quote

The MSR spec is for a 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:04:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:19:54 PM EDT
[#30]

The gel calibration of this video has been criticized.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:25:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:32:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
where?
View Quote

More importantly, it is not Kind & Knox 10% ordnance gelatin.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:34:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
where?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
where?

here

"The penetration from his gelatin testing is only 9", but he is not using 10% ordinance gel. He says that what he is using ("SIM-TEST") is similar."

and

."He uses a home-dilution of SIM-TEST and water that seems to mimic the penetration resistance of calibrated ordinance gel with scientifically well-documented handgun rounds fairly well, but it seems to have much less elasticity, which raises questions about its terminal dynamics with much higher velocity projectiles, of which he has not done many tests. This leaves its usefulness as an analogue with regard to rifle rounds in question.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:28:44 PM EDT
[#34]

I'm going to try and Chrony a small sample in a 10.3 bbl this weekend.

I couldn't get the bullet pulled without shattering my puller. Must be sealed tight.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:23:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:29:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Tag for more data. I have had excellent accuracy results with Fusion in several calibers (.308, 30-06, .270, 6.5x55, and .223) so far and am pleased to see that I am not the only one. Fusion is the reason that I haven't been reloading hunting ammo for a few years. It shoots better than I can at a good price.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top