Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2014 12:16:01 AM EDT
I went through a 1000 rounds of 147 grain remans tonight to get rid of all the ammoload cases that have given me and others problems. I found 2 9x18 rounds in the lot. make sure you inspect every round.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:07:45 AM EDT
[#1]

Damn..  That's a great heads-up.

Glad you caught it!

Contact the Company and post their response please.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:24:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I just checked their website, they don't even have 9mmMak listed.

What did the headstamps say?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:33:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Received my order of 1000 9mm 115 gr new rounds today and found this odd ball in a box. There seems to be a very minor variance in how far the bullets are pressed into the casings. I laid out a few boxes in a tight grid on my granite counter and when scanning the profile it is noticeable among the tips of the rounds. It is a very minor difference, except this one bullet, so I doubt it will cause any harm. It is hard to see in the picture, but the left two bullets have a very slight height difference between them. Just a notable observation.

ARFcoms thoughts?

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:35:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Tag

TRG
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:09:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Shot a  2000 round handgun class. Over half the class was running their ammo in 9mm. Every single person running their ammo had all kinds of problems. Even the instructor had problems with his Freedom Ammo.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:56:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Fiocchi 9x18 mak usa

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:29:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a case of 115gr from Freedom... Looks like I have to shoot each one to make sure they're ok
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:19:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Received my order of 1000 9mm 115 gr new rounds today and found this odd ball in a box. There seems to be a very minor variance in how far the bullets are pressed into the casings. I laid out a few boxes in a tight grid on my granite counter and when scanning the profile it is noticeable among the tips of the rounds. It is a very minor difference, except this one bullet, so I doubt it will cause any harm. It is hard to see in the picture, but the left two bullets have a very slight height difference between them. Just a notable observation.

ARFcoms thoughts?

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag120/Laferty/20141218_011452_zpsfb721228.jpg
View Quote

I've gotten a few of those before from Winchester White Boxes (in both 9mm and .45).
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:38:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I've gotten a few of those before from Winchester White Boxes (in both 9mm and .45).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ARFcoms thoughts?

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag120/Laferty/20141218_011452_zpsfb721228.jpg

Cool. Knowing it is a trend among cheaper white box plinking ammo is a little piece of mind.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:56:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I've shot hundreds of rounds of their remanned and new 115 and 124 grain 9mm - both FMJ and hollow points.
have never experienced any issues
did have an issue with some .223 primers but they took back the rest of the lot and credited me for the entire shipment
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:24:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Never had a problem, but I also dont have any of their ammo that has been made in the past 2 years.  All the ammo I have from them is 2011-2012 era.

I've heard of a lot of problems with them recently and probably won't buy from them again.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:33:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Shot a  2000 round handgun class. Over half the class was running their ammo in 9mm. Every single person running their ammo had all kinds of problems. Even the instructor had problems with his Freedom Ammo.
View Quote
Was it new or their reloads.  

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:16:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a case of the New man. 124gr, and so far all have been fine (I've shot about 100 rounds). However, accuracy has left me thinking my P228 needs a new barrel. I'm going to test these against some other 124gr brand ammo, and I'm hoping it's the Freedom stuff, versus me or the gun :)

This trend of threads about Freedom issues is quite concerning. I was planning on ordering more of their New man. stuff in 9mm and .45ACP. But, now I'm second guessing that thought...

Tagged.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:48:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I've shot tons of Freedom and never ran into these issues (with their 9mm) but I appreciate you guys posting this. I've shot their 115 and 124 grain almost exclusively for a year or two. I've never shot their 9mm Remans though, always New production stuff. Wondering if their quality control has gone out the window since their business has picked up so dramatically?

I did, however, have an issue with some of their 147 grain 308 Winchester Remans. I needed to sight in my rifle for deer season this year and figured I'd shoot a few of their Reman FMJs to get my gun close before switching to premium hunting ammo. After 2-3 rounds down range I had the bolt completely lock up on me after the round sent. After finally working it loose I tried to blame it on the rifle (don't know why). Thought maybe it was just a fluke and went to send another round and had then a failure to fire. At this point I was pretty bummed and angry because it was the first time I bought Reman ANYTHING, because I had had such good luck with Freedom Munitions up to that point.

I sent them a strongly worded e-mail and got a fairly quick response. They had me send back my remaining rounds (postage paid for by them) and replaced my entire order (40 rounds of the 147 grain FMJs).

I'm willing to let them slide on this because they made things right. I've had Core-Lokt casings split right down the side in the action and Remington could give a shit less.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:55:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Fiocchi 9x18 mak usa

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fiocchi 9x18 mak usa

Geez Could a few pieces of 9x18 brass made it into the reloading stream for 9x19? Does the bullet itself look like the other 147gr 9x19 projectiles in the bunch? If so, that is the kind of fuck-up that could get somebody shooting a Makarov seriously injured!
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:48:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:58:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Anyone here do facebook? Here's their page:

https://www.facebook.com/FreedomStartsHere
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:29:42 AM EDT
[#18]
I have shot at least 2,000 rounds of new 115 grin 9mm and probably 1,000 new .223's without any problems, although I don't doubt you had one.

Perfection is hard to achieve.

I will say their delivery time has improved. I ordered some about a month ago and received it in four days.

When I was teaching my self defense course the other day, I noticed a man I knew on the next range having problems and I went over to see if I could help. He was cussing his "white box ammo" for all the feed issues. I convinced him to try another magazine and like magic the problems disappeared. Obviously yours is not a magazine issue but I think most shooters are quick to blame the ammunition for all problems when often it is the magazine, firing pin, limp wristing, etc.

Probably my prejudice but I never buy: 1 reloads or re-manufactured ammunition as most places(Freedom is an example) they are just not that much cheaper.  2. ammunition from communist or formerly communist countries (except for my AK) as their quality control is terrible; 3. Small start ups until they have been around at least 5 years. I am not saying I only buy American as I have had good luck with PMC, Fiocchi, and Sellier and Beliot.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 3:14:06 PM EDT
[#19]
With all of the bad reports and the fact that reputable factory loaded ammo is cheap as dirt right now, why even waste time with this crowd?
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 5:28:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
With all of the bad reports and the fact that reputable factory loaded ammo is cheap as dirt right now, why even waste time with this crowd?
View Quote

This has been my thought recently as well. Too many bad reports of Freedom Munitions makes me certain to continue buying factory ammunition - even avoiding "factory new" from Freedom.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 6:18:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This has been my thought recently as well. Too many bad reports of Freedom Munitions makes me certain to continue buying factory ammunition - even avoiding "factory new" from Freedom.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Many, how many?
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 9:03:37 AM EDT
[#22]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_3/434046_.html
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 11:19:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Wow.
Just another reason to dump 380 in the ocean. It has no advantage over niner only disadvantages. In cases like these, dont pay attention and get a kaboom.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 12:09:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_3/434046_.html
View Quote

I was just about to mention that. Good thing I decided to check out the link rather than ignore it.

As for FM, I'm not sure I'll buy their reload stuff anymore.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 12:53:39 PM EDT
[#25]
I've had about 5-10% failure to fire on the new 9mm I bought from Freedom.   This is through an M&P 9mm.   Light primer strikes.  The ones which don't fire in the M&P fire just fine in my friends Glock.     I also get a ton more debris in my gun so it is more involved to clean the gun after firing.   Since the price was only about 20-30 dollars cheaper per case I probably will not purchase anymore.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 5:17:04 PM EDT
[#26]
I've shot around 1500 rounds of new manufactured 115gr with zero malfunctions, I have 500 left from that lot and another 1000 of 124gr. I'll continue to shoot their new manufactured ammo unless I run into these problems you guys are having.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 11:05:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've shot around 1500 rounds of new manufactured 115gr with zero malfunctions, I have 500 left from that lot and another 1000 of 124gr. I'll continue to shoot their new manufactured ammo unless I run into these problems you guys are having.
View Quote

Just curious, was this pre- or post panic?
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 12:46:26 AM EDT
[#28]
I know this thread called out 9mm ammo, but since it was posted in the AR forum, I'd just like to add that I fired 150 rounds of their remanufactured 55 grain .223 ammo. Shots were fired from 100-140 yards out and no failures. One out of the 150 rounds was a flyer and hit well short of point of aim, but it still fired, extracted and cycled the next round. The rest of the 149 rounds were very accurate at that distance.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 1:58:31 AM EDT
[#29]
I've had an entire 200 round box that my CZ wouldn't run. The rounds were only *slightly* off (round not seated precisely as other 9mm makes) and the headspace was a minute fraction forward.

The result was it would fire, not extract and I had to do a live strip-down to remove the case!

On my buddy's cheap HiPoint it's looser tolerances ran the ammo like a champ! This was HP 9mm.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 11:24:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Post panic, I bought 2k of the 115gr and ran it exclusively through a class around 1100 rds when I got back from the class I bought 1k of the 124gr but I haven't cracked that box open yet.  At the time I bought it they were the only place that had 9mm in bulk for less than .21 cpr.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 1:45:14 PM EDT
[#31]
So far I'm three boxes into my 1k case of new manufacture 124gr 9mm, and it has functioned flawlessly. It's not the most accurate stuff out of my P228, but it's been reliable.

For the price I paid, I'm happy with the ammo.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 4:00:30 PM EDT
[#32]
In my first and last purchase from FM I had two misloaded rounds. Out of 500 rounds of 380 ACP there was one 32 NAA and a 9mm Luger both loaded with 380 bullets. Both cases had made it through the resizer and were appropriately squished. When I contacted FM they couldn't have cared less. No offer for replacement ammo, or a refund. I have fired about 50 rounds out of the 500 (after inspectng every one) and have yet to have an entire mag without a FTF or a FTE (TCP and LCP).

Buyer beware.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 6:34:11 PM EDT
[#33]
I have put a combined 500 rounds of 115 grain 9mm freedom munitions remanufactured ammo through my G17 and G19. I've only had one jam when the weapon was fired sideways with one hand. I've also fired 250 rounds of their new ammo. I've been happy with it for target shooting and plinking.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 6:43:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ARFcoms thoughts?

Same here.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 6:48:07 PM EDT
[#35]
I have had good success so far.  I have their 147 gr 9mm that I shoot in my G17 with no issues whatsoever - so far.

I have their 115gr HP that I shoot out of my Sub 9 carbine.  Again, no issues yet.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 1:16:00 PM EDT
[#36]
FYI - I wrote Freedom regarding this potential issue:

"I have been buying a fair amount of ammo from Freedom - 45ACP, 9mm, 308 match - mostly reman.  I've only shot the 45 stuff so far, and never experienced any issues whatsoever.  However, I've been reading many reports on line lately about Freedom reman ammo problems arising such as improper case lengths, OAL issues, etc.  9mm appears to be particularly problematic.
The general concensus appears that quality control as fallen off in the past few years as volumes have increased, and many previously dedicated users are no longer buying their ammo from Freedom as a result.  I am concerned, as I have purchased several thousand rounds in various calibers though have yet to shoot most of it.
In your experience, does there appear to be an increase in reported complaints in recent years vs 5 years ago?  Comments?"

The reply I received from a Freedom representative:

"Thank you for your email and for your support of our company.

I must be honest and advise you that I have only been with the company for
approximately 4 1/2 months thus far. However, I posed your question to one
of the Quality staff that has been employed here for several years and she
advised that there have been instances of time where quality issues arose,
but she does not feel we have had an overall increase based on percentage of
product manufactured. However, knowing that with growth comes higher
potential for error, we have increased the staff within the Quality
department significantly since I have been here and have been continually
improving our quality processes to reduce the possibility of poor quality.
We have encountered a few issues, but have worked to resolve them quickly.

I hope you will find our ammunition meets your expectations. If you should
encounter any problems, please contact me and I will make certain your issue
is taken care of immediately.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or need additional
information."
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 1:44:33 PM EDT
[#37]
I have a case of their reman 147gr
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 4:06:21 PM EDT
[#38]
I have been working my way through a case of 1000 rounds of new manufacture 9mm that I purchased over the summer.  I'm guessing I've probably shot 250-350 rounds of it so far.  I have had no problems other than it appears to be somewhat inaccurate (in some cases wildly inaccurate, as a few others have already mentioned).  I mark all of my case heads before loading them up, so I usually lay eyes on every head stamp before it has a chance of being fired, and so far all of the new man stuff has been correct.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:22:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ARFcoms thoughts?

Same here. Before I started reloading I would probably find one in every 4-5 boxes or so of the winchester white box in 9mm.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 12:57:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Bought 5k of new 115gr early in 2014. Have gone through a case and a half in various guns with zero problems. Most of the problems I have seen have been with their reman.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 12:34:51 AM EDT
[#41]
I know this thread is about the 9mm...but add their .300blk to the list of problems.  Had 18 out of 100 today that wouldn't even chamber.
One round bulged at the neck as it tried to chamber.  All was cut down and reformed brass.  I will never buy it again.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 12:40:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Well according to Ballisticjay and his test with Knights, FM is g2g
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 2:30:36 PM EDT
[#43]
I don't doubt any of you and the issues you experienced.

It shocks me to see all of this, however. I've shot over  4000 rounds of FM ammo, all since October 2013. Mix of new and reman. Mostly 9 mm 115, but some 124, also. Probably 250 of 45 acp and about 500 223. I've not experienced any of these issues.  A few FTFs over this time, but less than 0.35%.  

I certainly hope this isn't a trend. The brass credit program is a good way to cash in a few extra dollars. But if this trend continues, it might not be worth it if they start causing issues.

OTOH, I went through 250 rounds of 45 acp blazer brass that was all from the same lot number, that gave me ridiculously poor performance. Rounds were under powered, barely making it out of the barrel on about 10-12% failure rate. Included 3 squibs that never made it out of the barrel.

Quality fall downs happen to all manufacturers in all industries. It's the response and the trends that matter.

I will be interested to follow this thread going forward.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 8:27:30 PM EDT
[#44]
This is pretty concerning.  I just went through 100 of their new and 100 of their reman  55gr. 223 ammo as a test run and was flawless.  So I ordered 500 more to have at the ready.  Really hoping I didn't misjudge this company.  Does anyone have major problems with their .223 rounds?
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 9:22:04 PM EDT
[#45]
I had a bunch of 9mm from them that was junk. Rounds set back in cases, cases that looked like had never been resized, bullet set back after the round was chambered that i happen to unload on a whim. All kinds of stuff. I'm glad the poster got a response above. I've e-mailed them a few times and got no response. Also they won't replace your gun if there ammo nukes it. I'm done with them.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:10:38 PM EDT
[#46]
I bought 500 rds of 380 reloads from Freedom, they looked nice and cycle well but they are really HOT.
They have both the heaviest bullet AND the highest velocity of any of the 16 varieties of 380 I've tried.

In years gone by, I tested a fair number of 9mm and 38 reloads that were on our state contract list; looking for cheap practice ammo for my PD.
The only ones I would be willing to shoot continuously in my own guns were Black Hills reloads from the 1990s, and they cost just as much as WWB at Walmart.

In commercial reloads from the state contractors, I found:
Velocities  too high, velocities too low, velocities erratic, loaded rounds with split cases, OAL way too long, OAL way too short, bullets that deep-seated on the first chambering, extreme leading, high primers, crushed primers, sideways primers, backwards primers, no primers, etc etc etc.
If you want to see all the things that can be done in reloading, buy commercial reloads.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top