Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2014 10:12:35 PM EDT
11.5" barrel, 1-9 twist, shooting 55 gr Wolf WPA steel case, bimetal jacket, I see nearly every shot perfectly sideways into target at 15 - 25 yds.

Only 500-1000 rnds through the barrel.  All other US made "brass" brands at 55gr work fine, with perfect holes and good accuracy.

Shooting same Wolf ammo through different 10" upper works great, with nice round holes.  

I measured 1-9 twist and its right, best I cold measure.  And I've removed flash hider, inspected crown, even switched flash hiders.

I guess I simply could NOT shoot steel cased ammo, but I wonder if the barrel really is bad and eventually higher quality ammo will also show same problem.  I have a suppressor pending and I'd have a real hard time trusting anything coming out of this barrel straight.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:11:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, that is odd.

So with the 11.5:  The wolf shoots poorly but the other ammo is ok?  

With the 10"  both are ok?

As you've already tried............  the barrel were shot out, it would/should shoot badly (or not) for both.  And if it were the ammo- it shouldn't do well in the 10".

Keyholing is either:  the barrel (shot out or the wrong twist), or the ammo- poor construction (ie the bullet diameter is messed up) or velocity.

So...............  carefully measure the cartridges (mainly the diameter)  but also say if the bullets are literally loose in the case? and run it over a chrono?

Maybe the ammo is somehow erratic in the load?  ie some are barely spitting out and the others are "good."  

PS- I'm not a fan of steel cased stuff, but if it, somehow was or did, blow out the barrel, the brass stuff shouldn't shoot any better.  That and 1000rds seems VERY short for you to wear out the barrel.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:21:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Some of the Wolf my neighbor has is really light, low power ammunition, was consistently stove pipping in his Sig. So I would say with the short barrel and slower than normal round the RPMs are down.

Why have we not tried some brass ammo, Federal, PMC, PPU?

Still does not add up if its ok out of a 10", I would check the crown. Take the FH off and look might have been installed incorrectly and carbon built up.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:29:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a DPMS, 18", 1:8, NATO chamber, MK12 barrel that shot all ammo very good, but wolf would keyhole 1 out of 5 shots like clockwork. It was a sub MOA barrel, but didn't like the wolf.

Wolf happens.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:44:19 PM EDT
[#4]
My buddy has a 20" Delton unlined A2 barrel, that shoots lights out.  Like MOA with good stuff.  He shot some Wolf with it, and it was keyholing it's ass off.  I have only heard about this, until I saw it.  

I shoot a shit ton of steel, and never have had any problems in any way.  I guess once in a while, there is an odd bird that happens.  Rifle barrels are funny things.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:55:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe those sneaky ruskies are loading 5.45mm bullets in the 5.56 ammo.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:17:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe those sneaky ruskies are loading 5.45mm bullets in the 5.56 ammo.  
View Quote

I've heard of this happening before, it seems.  It would make sense anyway.  Wolf ain't match, as we all know.   But it isn't that bad.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:01:38 AM EDT
[#7]
its certainly not 5.45, as it shoots just fine in other guns, and a buddy's Wolf ammo from a completely different batch shoots the same.  I measured the bullet diameter and it was in the .223-224 range

wonder if there is something about the bimetal jacket that is causing it to not engage the rifling and therefore not spin fast enough?  I'd love to find a fired bullet and see what the rifling marks look like.  Might just be straight scratches down the jacket instead of a normal twist pattern.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:34:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Scooper, what Wolf is this?  There are a ton of different kinds, as I am sure you know.  Is this older stuff, that was TCW by chance?  That was known to be some pretty shitty stuff.  All the newer stuff is Barnaul, which actually shoots pretty damn good in all my guns.  Just throwing ideas here man.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:51:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a few key holes with wolf in my 10.5 SBR. All other guns shoot it fine. I found it odd and thought I was crazy for a bit.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:06:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I got my lmt 10.5 upper and just grabbed the first couple of mags I could find in my truck. One mag was 55 wolf and the other was xm855. I proceeded to dump each mag into two separate targets. Every shot the wolf key holed and the xm855 was fine. I changed the a2 out for a noveske kx3 and the wolf no longer key holes. I have no explanation why but it worked.

I might even get flamed for it but I now have a rifle that will shoot the wolf ammo.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:46:08 AM EDT
[#11]
It would seem the solution is you shoot something other than Wolf.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:31:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

x2

Or as you did, change the barrel.

A friend of mine had the same thing happen with Tula...it was a new barrel from a good shop, they changed the barrel...no more keyholing.

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 9:35:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 10:51:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Leave the wolf ammo for the dirt shooters
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Leave the wolf ammo for the dirt shooters

Both of these. On another note, who is the barrel manufacturer? It's more than likely the ammo.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 2:51:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

At the current prices for brass, I am not buying any wolf.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:40:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:55:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What about Wolf gold?

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:58:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What about Wolf gold?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about Wolf gold?  

I buy those.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:01:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even at the crazy prices for brass I didn't buy wolf......
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top