Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2014 7:08:41 PM EDT
I'm about place a sizable ammo order.. (some great prices at this time) The indoor 100yd range I shoot at, does not allow steel core ammo.. From what I have read here, states that heaver bullets shoot better through a 1/7 barrel.. Is there any 60gr ammo or heavier recommended for target, that's affordable and accurate available?.. Or should I stick with the bulk XM195? Is there a big difference in accuracy with heaver bullets through a 1/7 twist.. I'm not too sure.. I shot whatever they gave us in the service.. Learning a lot here about recreational shooting with these fine guns.. Thanks much
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:09:36 PM EDT
[#1]
The bulk 55 grain will serve you just fine.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:31:52 PM EDT
[#2]
1:7 will stabilize all weights. XM193 or any other bulk will work for much of your needs. Wolf Gold, AE223 55gr FMJ, PMC, etc will also be good to go.

For smaller groups the heavier the better, especially at distances beyond 200 yards and vs wind.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:19:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1:7 will stabilize all weights. XM193 or any other bulk will work for much of your needs. Wolf Gold, AE223 55gr FMJ, PMC, etc will also be good to go.

For smaller groups the heavier the better, especially at distances beyond 200 yards and vs wind.
View Quote

Yep, feed it a diet of anything. I keep 75/77 OTM type in mags for defense/SHTF.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:50:06 AM EDT
[#4]
As far as bulk ammo goes,193(55gr) or 855((62gr) will both shoot just fine out of a 1:7. Since you can't use the steel cored 855, stick with the 55gr. Im not aware of any cheap 62 grain ammo that isn't steel cored.

1:7 twist barrels can shoot the heavier 75/77 grain bullets while some slower twist barrels may not be able to stabilize them. IME though, that doesn't necessarily mean your barrel is going to prefer the heavy stuff. My 1:7  shoots the heavy stuff like MK262(77gr) pretty well but seems to shoot best with 64 and 69 grain ammo.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:46:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
As far as bulk ammo goes,193(55gr) or 855((62gr) will both shoot just fine out of a 1:7. Since you can't use the steel cored 855, stick with the 55gr. Im not aware of any cheap 62 grain ammo that isn't steel cored.

1:7 twist barrels can shoot the heavier 75/77 grain bullets while some slower twist barrels may not be able to stabilize them. IME though, that doesn't necessarily mean your barrel is going to prefer the heavy stuff. My 1:7  shoots the heavy stuff like MK262(77gr) pretty well but seems to shoot best with 64 and 69 grain ammo.
View Quote

I've seen several types of 62gr FMJ ammo that isn't steel cored.  Herter's, Wolf, Barnaul, Silver Bear, Armscor, Federal American Eagle (AE223, not Federal XM855), Fiocchi, CBC (Magtech) and PPU are brands that come to mind.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:59:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I've seen several types of 62gr FMJ ammo that isn't steel cored.  Herter's, Wolf, Barnaul, Silver Bear, Armscor, Federal American Eagle (AE223, not Federal XM855), Fiocchi, CBC (Magtech) and PPU are brands that come to mind.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for that info.. I haven't placed my order yet.. Now I now what to look for.. I'm
still going to order the Federal XM193 169.99 for 420rds on stripper clips.. Not too bad.. $15.00 shipping from Brownells FYI.. I might as well buy as much as I can while the prices are pretty good and availability is plentiful for now..  
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:39:09 AM EDT
[#7]
P
Quoted:

Thank you for that info.. I haven't placed my order yet.. Now I now what to look for.. I'm
still going to order the Federal XM193 169.99 for 420rds on stripper clips.. Not too bad.. $15.00 shipping from Brownells FYI.. I might as well buy as much as I can while the prices are pretty good and availability is plentiful for now..  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know if this is more than you're looking to spend BUT you can get 1200 rounds of IMI M193 55gr from Wideners right now for $350. IMI(Israeli Military Industries) M193 is THE best M193 you can get in my and many others opinion as well. The $350 is a crazy good price!

https://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=9017&dir=18|830|845

Even after Wideners $50 shipping, you're looking at 33¢ per round compared to the 44¢ per round for the deal you listed. That will save you over a dime every pull of the trigger AND you'll have better quality ammo!
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:59:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes as the above poster said, check out Wideners. That IMI 193 is a great buy.
They also have 77 grain IMI if you want heavier. More pricy though.
Just buy a couple used ammo cans and some stripper clips off Ebay and load your own while watching tv.

If you are from Jersey , you'll need to send them a copy of your FID card though.
They are one of the online sellers that require it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:09:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yes as the above poster said, check out Wideners. That IMI 193 is a great buy.
They also have 77 grain IMI if you want heavier. More pricy though.
Just buy a couple used ammo cans and some stripper clips off Ebay and load your own while watching tv.

If you are from Jersey , you'll need to send them a copy of your FID card though.
They are one of the online sellers that require it.
View Quote

Maybe next time.. Thanks for the heads up.. I read on another thread that IMI is good ammo.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top