Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2014 9:27:37 AM EDT
Anyone have a favorite factory ammo for an 8"-9" barrel in 300blk? Everything I find seems to be geared towards longer barrels and I'm not getting any responses on other forums. Eventually it will be suppressed. Looking for a good short range hunting, 100-125 yards, and for HD if ever needed.

Some say the Barnes 110 gr TSX is about the best but I haven't seen where it says it will work our of a short barrel. I found some 110 gr Nosler Varmeggedon, 125 gr Nosler ballistic tips and also 125 gr Sierra pro hunters. Any info on these out of a short barrel?
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:45:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I would look for Barnes 110gr Vor-Tx (black tip) for hunting and HD, the Nosler 125gr ballistic tip is good too, I personally use both. Most, if not all, tipped ammo and hollow point ammo that has the capability of expansion will be good to use also.

I haven't chrono'd them but guessing, I'd say there is only a few hundred fps drop using a shorter barrel.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:27:03 AM EDT
[#2]
The longer length barrels with .300blk only provide a slightly better ballistics report due to all the gas being burned up in the first 9".  I use the Barnes vor-tx black tips.  I have also used the hornady red tips (vmax) and had great results.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:35:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Black-Tips are pretty much the consensus for super's in hunting/HD. That's what mine is loaded with!
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:35:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Supersonic Load
Supersonic load @ 2375 fps - 16" Bbl
Loaded with the 110 gr V-MAX™
Great short range hunting cartridge
Very low recoil – ideal for youth and women

Very accurate in my 8.5" pistol
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:47:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Barnes black tips for larger animals, shot my deer this year with the 110g Vor-TX.  Coyotes or whatever I'd use the 110g vmax.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:33:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The longer length barrels with .300blk only provide a slightly better ballistics report due to all the gas being burned up in the first 9".  I use the Barnes vor-tx black tips.  I have also used the hornady red tips (vmax) and had great results.
View Quote

Have a link to this information?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:01:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Going from a 9 inch to 16 inch you are looking at 150-220 fps by adding 7 inches of barrel. Adding another 5 inches on top of that may eek out another 100fps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/300_AAC_Blackout_%287.62%C3%9735mm%29
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:51:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here you go:
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top