Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2014 4:07:59 AM EDT
Does this exist? I'm getting 55gr in bulk. But would like some 62gr or higher as well to compare in my incoming AR with a 1:7 twist. But my local ranges don't allow steel core. And all the bulk stuff I can find is the green-tip Lake City stuff.

Looking for bulk at a good price. I can find 55gr all day long. But nothing heavier that isn't steel core.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 4:53:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Anything heavier will cost more. I have been buying SSA's 69gr match seconds for 11$ a box, shipping is a flat 12$ so make it worth it if you do. I have been buying 300 rounds at a time myself, when I have the money to spare. But for match ammo 11$ a box of 20 isnt bad at all, hell regular 55/62gr was selling for that much back during the panic.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:11:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Google some of the following:

Wolf 62gr FMJ
Colt 62gr FMJ
PRVI PPU 69gr Match
Federal 62 FMJ

at sites like Palmetto State Armory, SGAmmo, Lucky Gunner, etc.  

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:24:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anything heavier will cost more. I have been buying SSA's 69gr match seconds for 11$ a box, shipping is a flat 12$ so make it worth it if you do. I have been buying 300 rounds at a time myself, when I have the money to spare. But for match ammo 11$ a box of 20 isnt bad at all, hell regular 55/62gr was selling for that much back during the panic.
View Quote

Yeah, I'm ok with paying a little more for a heavier round. But nothing crazy. I just can't seem to find any straight up FMJ that's heavier and isn't steel core. I did find some Hornady Superformance 75gr JHPBT for like $8 a box. I hope this stuff is decent.

And yeah, most places I'm looking are selling Winchester 55gr white box for $11.99/box of 20 right now. But I grabbed some XM193 bulk for a decent price for a 1,000-round box.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:27:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Wolf 62gr FMJ
Colt 62gr FMJ
PRVI PPU 69gr Match
Federal 62 FMJ

View Quote

Ok, thanks! I'm also in California, which makes things difficult too. A lot of ammo places won't ship here for some reason. They think it's illegal or something. But it isn't. I usually wind up ordering from Cabellas or TargetSportsUSA. There's a few other places too. But will look into your suggestions, thanks.

For example, Palmetto State Armory refuses to ship to where I live. Yet, it is perfectly legal to do so. They are either misinformed or their lawyers are telling them not to ship here for some reason.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:11:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yeah, I'm ok with paying a little more for a heavier round. But nothing crazy. I just can't seem to find any straight up FMJ that's heavier and isn't steel core. I did find some Hornady Superformance 75gr JHPBT for like $8 a box. I hope this stuff is decent.

And yeah, most places I'm looking are selling Winchester 55gr white box for $11.99/box of 20 right now. But I grabbed some XM193 bulk for a decent price for a 1,000-round box.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be careful with the Superformance.  http://www.hornady.com/ammunition/superformance-in-gas-operated-firearms
Some people have had problems with overpressure using it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:55:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Black hills loads heavier as well

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:07:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Doesn't Federal offer their American Eagle in 62 grain?
I know they used to. I don't believe it was steel core, I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:25:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Ok, thanks! I'm also in California, which makes things difficult too. A lot of ammo places won't ship here for some reason. They think it's illegal or something. But it isn't. I usually wind up ordering from Cabellas or TargetSportsUSA. There's a few other places too. But will look into your suggestions, thanks.

For example, Palmetto State Armory refuses to ship to where I live. Yet, it is perfectly legal to do so. They are either misinformed or their lawyers are telling them not to ship here for some reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wolf 62gr FMJ
Colt 62gr FMJ
PRVI PPU 69gr Match
Federal 62 FMJ

It is illegal to ship to certain counties in ca. Like la, oakland, san francisco, there are more. One of those may be wrong im going off the top of my head, but it is illegal in some areas.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:28:04 AM EDT
[#9]
FourT6and2: I just found this link for 62gr FMJ. It seems like a good deal.

http://www.luckygunner.com/556x45mm-62gr-fmj-cbc-556b-1000
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:06:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Steel core ammo is usually only banned at indoor joints because of spark/fire risk. If youre shooting indoor, you have no need for anything heavier than 55.

And if you were wanting accuracy, you should have gone 1 in 9. The faster twist barrels are not more accurate unless you shoot super heavies at long distance. The mil themselves even found this out in testing, but decided they didnt care because they needed the faster twist for shooting tracers. Also, the faster twists barrels wear out faster from increased friction.

Sounds to me like you should just stick with your 55gr loads you can use now.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:49:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Steel core ammo is usually only banned at indoor joints because of spark/fire risk. If youre shooting indoor, you have no need for anything heavier than 55.

And if you were wanting accuracy, you should have gone 1 in 9. The faster twist barrels are not more accurate unless you shoot super heavies at long distance. The mil themselves even found this out in testing, but decided they didnt care because they needed the faster twist for shooting tracers. Also, the faster twists barrels wear out faster from increased friction.

Sounds to me like you should just stick with your 55gr loads you can use now.
View Quote

The part about 1 in 9 being more accurate is bs. Two barrels from the same manufacturer with a 1:7 and one with a 1:9 will be about equal. If you had 20 barrels ten in 1:7, and ten in 1:9. The 1:9 would not be universally more accurate. As long as the twist rate is sufficient to stabilize the bullet, there is no twist rate that will be the most accurate all the time.

1:9 is a waste of time unless you plan on never shooting the longer bullets. If thats the case go with the slowest that will stabilize what you plan on shooting. Why go 1:9 when a 1:7 or 8 will do everything the 1:9 will. If its a varmit rig and you plan on a certain bullet like the 53 vmax then the 1:9 makes sense.

My noveske spr will shoot 55 vmax at 100 yards better than any heavy bullet, past 100 the heavy bullets best the 55 vmax.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:14:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It is illegal to ship to certain counties in ca. Like la, oakland, san francisco, there are more. One of those may be wrong im going off the top of my head, but it is illegal in some areas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wolf 62gr FMJ
Colt 62gr FMJ
PRVI PPU 69gr Match
Federal 62 FMJ

That, and some vendors feel that it's a good idea to remind people that California law is more than a little counter to the 2nd Amendment.  And others are a bit gun shy because some counties in California seem to decide things fit their definitions of "banned" without really publishing that.  So even if it's technically legal, they still won't.

ONLY 62 grain .224 bullets that are described as "SS109," "M855" or otherwise note that they have steel in them should be problematic at your ranges.  Many manufacturers make 62 grain (standard) FMJ bullets, and these should be available in a lot of different makers' loaded rounds.  The ones you want to avoid will probably make a point of the "penetrator" part of the bullet, or call them something like "light armor piercing."  The penetrator is actually a steel insert that moves the bullet's center of gravity backward, and originally it was only mild steel with a little bit of taper to fit the jacket.  Some SS109 bullet makers now harden and point the insert, which may improve shape retention in penetration of hard materials.  Not only is SS109 LEGALLY NOT any type of armor piercing, anyone who sells it with those terms either knows nothing about the bullet, or is counting on purchasers knowing nothing about it - mostly the latter (i.e. slimy sales idiots).

Good luck with your search.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top