Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2014 1:42:25 AM EDT
Can anyone tell me how many grams a single 64gr. 5.56 round weighs if it were put on a digital scale?  

In particular was curious about the Winchester 64gr. bonded JSP...ZQ3313 RA556B I believe.

Is there a source for this type of information for different ammo?

I know someone selling some he doesn't have the box and I would like to verify that it is what he says it is.  It appears to be, just would like to be sure.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:33:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't offer the weight of the 64gr bonded (as of yet), but in case nobody shows up with the data,  I can give you some other numbers for reference.

PMC Bronze 55gr - 175.1 Gr (11.346 grams)
Hornady 55gr - 176.0 Gr (11.405 grams)
PPU 55gr - 180.9 Gr (11.722 grams)
Federal XM855 62gr - 184.5 Gr (11.955 grams)
Federal GMM 69gr - 190.9 Gr (12.370 grams)
Fiocchi 77gr - 201.6 Gr (13.063 grams)

Those are all averages of 20 rounds. As you can see from the 55gr differences, the totals can vary a bit. (primarily from the variations in powder charge and case thickness/weight)

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:23:20 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I know someone selling some he doesn't have the box and I would like to verify that it is what he says it is.  It appears to be, just would like to be sure.
View Quote
verifying with weight is the poorest way,

pull a round, dissect it

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:13:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can't offer the weight of the 64gr bonded (as of yet), but in case nobody shows up with the data,  I can give you some other numbers for reference.

PMC Bronze 55gr - 175.1 Gr (11.346 grams)
Hornady 55gr - 176.0 Gr (11.405 grams)
PPU 55gr - 180.9 Gr (11.722 grams)
Federal XM855 62gr - 184.5 Gr (11.955 grams)
Federal GMM 69gr - 190.9 Gr (12.370 grams)
Fiocchi 77gr - 201.6 Gr (13.063 grams)

Those are all averages of 20 rounds. As you can see from the 55gr differences, the totals can vary a bit. (primarily from the variations in powder charge and case thickness/weight)

View Quote

Would it be safe to assume the 64gr round in question would be somewhere between the 62 and the 69 grain rounds listed above?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:47:18 PM EDT
[#4]
The meplat on the bullet its self should be a give away... the Nosler 64gr BSB has a very large meplat compared to all other SP's that I have seen.

With that said, the only way to truly know is by what TaylorWSO  said.... cut one in half length wise.

I am pretty sure Winc. uses Noslers bullet...they just load it to 5.56 pressures.

http://www.nosler.com/defense-rifle-ammunition/
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:29:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The meplat on the bullet its self should be a give away... the Nosler 64gr BSB has a very large meplat compared to all other SP's that I have seen.

With that said, the only way to truly know is by what TaylorWSO  said.... cut one in half length wise.

I am pretty sure Winc. uses Noslers bullet...they just load it to 5.56 pressures.

View Quote

Meplat?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:38:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Meplat, from a French term for a flat surface, is the technical term for the flat or open tip on the nose of a bullet. .... in other words, the very tip of this specific bullet.

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 5:11:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Meplat?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meplat?

I just took a comparison shot of 3 popular barrier-blind bullets as seen below, in order from left to right, the 62 gr. Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw (XM556FBIT3), 55 gr. Speer Gold Dot, and 64 gr. Nosler Bonded Solid Base (Nosler Defense .223, same bullet as Winchester Ranger RA556B)

http://i62.tinypic.com/2lc8as5.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/14lt4ow.jpg

If I had my calipers at my present location, I'd take some measurements, but even from my mediocre iPhone photos you can see the flat area at the front of the Nosler bullet is noticeably wider than the other two bullets. I've never seen a bullet that looks quite like it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 5:13:24 AM EDT
[#8]
[Duplicate post - was trying to edit to get photos to show up directly on page rather than us URL]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top