Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2014 7:57:15 PM EDT
I know I cant find any.  But...

What is the commercial name for this ammo and is it available to purchase?

If not available, what is a close substitute?

ETA:  Exception....a couple listings on Gunbroker but they want two arms, a leg and I think my first born.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:02:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

View Quote

What do you mean by substitute?

Do you want just a bullet with good barrier blind performance?

Or do you want a bullet of similar construction and wounding style; i.e. 50% fragmentation and penetrating core?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:04:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Or do you want a bullet of similar construction and wounding style; i.e. 50% fragmentation and penetrating core?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would like the latter.

Is there a round that has the same construction?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:21:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Would like the latter.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would like the latter.

The 60gr Partition is probably the closest I can think of.  The old ones were about 30gr/30gr split but the current ones are about 10gr front/50gr rear so its not really the same anymore.
That is the only one I can really think of.

You could look at the 64gr Golddot/62gr Fusion.  Unlike the 62gr TBBC and 64gr Nosler, they do shed weight, even in bare gel.  The ATK site has losses on their gel shots at about 40-50%.  ATK 's TBBC gels have about 98% weight retention for comparison.
Or maybe Winchester's 60 or 70gr "Splitcore" PDX bullet which is supposed to have a fragmenting front and penetrating rear.  Video of it here: Splitcore

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 12:07:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:36:11 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

Glad to see its available. Price isnt great, used to be around $0.75 a round when it is available and on the aftermarket like armslist and gunbroker it was selling for around $1.00 so at $0.90 i guess its a fair deal. If i didnt already have a massive stock pile i would buy more

Another good ammo is the xm556fbit3 round. It is very similar to mk318 with the solid copper base and a lead front the main difference is the mk318 has a small hollow point at the front where the xm556fbit3 is a soft point.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:55:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Glad to see its available. Price isnt great, used to be around $0.75 a round when it is available and on the aftermarket like armslist and gunbroker it was selling for around $1.00 so at $0.90 i guess its a fair deal. If i didnt already have a massive stock pile i would buy more

Another good ammo is the xm556fbit3 round. It is very similar to mk318 with the solid copper base and a lead front the main difference is the mk318 has a small hollow point at the front where the xm556fbit3 is a soft point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Fbit3 is the tbbc bullet and will offer no fragmentation.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 11:08:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, while the mk318 bullet was derived from the tbbc projectile, they operate very differently when hitting squishy things. The t3 round is considered a better performer however the accuracy is subpar. I've found the mk318 projectile to be more accurate than expected and am very surprised to see some new stock being sold. I was gonna sit on my stash of 180rnds for eternity as I didn't expect to see it again but it looks like I may have to get some more!
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:30:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yeah, while the mk318 bullet was derived from the tbbc projectile, they operate very differently when hitting squishy things. The t3 round is considered a better performer however the accuracy is subpar. I've found the mk318 projectile to be more accurate than expected and am very surprised to see some new stock being sold. I was gonna sit on my stash of 180rnds for eternity as I didn't expect to see it again but it looks like I may have to get some more!
View Quote

Where are you seeing it for sale?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:54:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Umm

a couple of posts up at USArmorment?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:57:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Umm

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Umm

Yeah...I saw that.  Did I need to say I wasn't looking to buy 500 rounds.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:59:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Umm

I guess you did
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top